strength training question

Options
I am going to make myself get into a strength training . I have lost all of my weight by focusing only on cardio. I know that strength training will give me more muscle, which will burn calories longer. I had a nice chat with my Dr., and so now I am going to work this into my routine. I plan on doing 1 hour of cardio on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. Then on Monday, Wednesday and Friday I am going to 20 minutes of cardio (to warm up). Then I want to do a full body workout using dumbbells.

I am wondering if I should do just one type of exercise per muscle?

Example:

One exercise for triceps (3 sets of 12)
One exercise for biceps (3 sets of 12)

Thanks for your help!

Replies

• tiffanygil
    tiffanygil Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Hey girl this might help here is my routine

-Monday Chest- I do 3 sets of 12 on each machine---1) chest press, 2) Chest fly 3) Wide grip pull down 4) seated row 5) push ups (until I stop) pull ups, modified (still cant even do one real one)

-Tues Arms- 1) over head press; 2) upright row; Free wts- Latereal raise; front raise; rev. fly
    -Wed- arms 1) Bicep curl; tricept pulldown; Free wts- aleternate curl; Tricept kickback; consintrated curl; side triraise

Thurs- Squats; Lunges; leg ext; leg curl; calf raises

I do cardo monday; tues and wed. and work my core and tummy everyday....I saw a lot of inches start comming off when I started this routine but not a whole lot of wieght, prob cause I'm gaining muscule mass. A trainer at the gym set this up for me and I really do like it, you might want to get with someone at your gym usually its free.

Good luck!
    Tiff
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    You get a better benefit if your do exercises that cover a wide range of muscles. Like squats, lunges, bench press, push ups etc. Do all those multiple joint/muscles exercises in the beginning of your workout and then you can focus on things like triceps and biceps and single muscle groups.
  • daddydoitall
    Options
    Its a good idea to give your muscles a full day of rest between workouts that are strength oriented. You can do a whole body work out on monday, then cardio on tuesday and keep switching back and forth. A better way is to break your body down into sections and concentrate on the sections everyother day. Example here is shoulder, chest and triceps on monday, cardio on tues, back and biceps wed, cardi thur, legs friday. Notice that on monday you are pushing all the weights, ( a completed muscle group), wednesday you are pulling weight, (another muscle group). Thinking of it that way will help you determin if you are working the correct group on a given day.
    Hope this helps