Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

race recovery?

I ran my first 8K today. my time was 1:05. my first mile was 11 minutes but then my pace slowed, obviously. I know that my time is by no means stellar but for me it is awesome. I am very proud.:glasses:

that being said I have no idea what to do to take care of my sore achy body now. I drank water and a protein shake after the race. I did not eat beforehand so I had the shake in my car to have on hand. I am now eating lunch of rice, eggs, and veggies. I am still pushing water. I am not hungry honestly but I know I need something.

what else would you do? I have read so many differing opinions on what to do that I am just unsure. I assume a small short easy walk jog is a good idea tomorrow. and perhaps this afternoon? help me out. :wink:

ETA I use the term race loosely. I know my time is by no means a race time...but for my body it most definitely is.

Replies

• Cyclink
    Cyclink Posts: 517 Member
    Congratulations! Any race you can be proud of is an accomplishment, regardless of how it compares to others.

If you've already eaten a decent amount of protein and carbs (giving your body the material to rebuild and refuel), then the next thing to do it put your feet up and rest.
  • gadenni34
    gadenni34 Posts: 294 Member
    ok thanks. I ate as much as I could choke down. I am sure hunger may hit me later. I shall enjoy resting now. oh how I will enjoy it. :wink:
  • Congrats! It's not about the speed it's about finishing and that's a great accomplishment.

It looks like you already have the food situation taken care of. In addition, I would

Wear compression tights (or any kind of leggings really) to help your legs recover and massaging your muscles. I have a contraption called The Stick that I absolutely can't live without after a run.
  • gadenni34
    gadenni34 Posts: 294 Member
    ok so I have seen The Stick referenced before. also foam rollers. are these used for the same thing? and do you just roll them along your muscles in sort of a massaging way? I have heard it is painful too. :noway:
  • Cyclink
    ok thanks. I ate as much as I could choke down. I am sure hunger may hit me later. I shall enjoy resting now. oh how I will enjoy it. :wink:

You don't need to eat all that much. A normal meal (600 to 800 calories) is probably all that you need.
  • Cyclink
    Wear compression tights (or any kind of leggings really) to help your legs recover and massaging your muscles. I have a contraption called The Stick that I absolutely can't live without after a run.

I have the 100% compression/ice shorts.... those things make my legs feel better in a way I cannot even describe.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    If you're really sore try an ice bath. Pure torture but they work.

As far as actual recovery goes get moving as soon as you can, low intensity (walking, swimming, a slow bike ride) and low impact for a couple of days and you should be right as rain.

Congrats on this milestone!