Jerky Question

Options
Hi! So I am considering buying some type of jerky for the first time. I need a quick, protein snack that I can eat between classes. Any recommendations? I am not familiar with brands or even where to find it in the store. Beef? Turkey? Don't they come with different flavors? If you're a fan of jerky, let me know what you like! Thanks!

Replies

• danielg810
    danielg810 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    yes costco has the best deals i've found so theyre the only place I buy from. I'd really recommend the kirkland brand jerky its thick & tastes really good. Jack links also has a cholula flavor which is amazing but i havent found it in bulk so i stick w costco lol
  • grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    I've used jerky as a protein snack now and then, but not too often. The problem is that most of what you will find in local stores has a huge amount of sodium, which stops me from eating it more often. There are brands you can buy online with a lot less sodium, but it is still quite a bit. For that reason I usually bring a Quest protein bar if I am out somwwhere. More protein, much less sodium, no added sugars, and lots of fiber.

One of the brands for jerky I saw recommended in another thread here was Carnivore Candy, but there are other, healthier jerkies in addition to the large brands you will find in local stores. And you could always make your own jerky and control what goes in it.
  • julieh391
    julieh391 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I've got nothin' in the jerky department, but I'll recommend that you get some seriously minty gum. Being in a room with lots of people post-jerky could get you some dirty looks.
  • penguinlally
    penguinlally Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    love my jerky snacks--BUT they can be very high insodium so look at the labels carefully and drink loads of water that day and the next as well --I like Trader Joes jerky
  • vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I get my jerky from Big John's beef jerky. So good! It's about as minimally processed as you can get from a company and not too bad in the price department.

I'd recommend making your own to control sodium, sugar, etc., but with raw beef prices so high, it's not too great financially.