MIXED girl tag

Options
1.) What are you mixed with?
2.) What ethnicity have you often been mistaken for?
3.) Is you hair Curly or Straight?
4.) Was coming from different backgrounds challenging growing up?
5.) Which background do embrace most?
6.) Have you ever been teased for being different?
7.) Have you ever been ashamed of being Multiracial?
8.) Do you feel that being Mixed has it's benefits?
9.)What makes being MultiRacial a beautiful thing?
10.) Any advice to some who struggle with their Multiracial Identity?

Replies

• TropicalFlowerz
    TropicalFlowerz Posts: 1,990 Member
    Options
    I am French Canadian,Mohawk Indian,...and a dash of Creole
    that said am always mistakin for Latina or Italian...sometimes Israeli...does'nt bother me a bit ,all women are beautiful.
    Never really had a prob w/ it ...
    Whats strikes me funny is People assume I'm whatever they are....so they talk about other races freely infront of me ....
    if I happen to be in a group of white people they assume I'm 100% white and start talking ...
    My blk friends consider me blk,..and but they dont really talk about other races...
    All I know for sure is I'm me all the time 100% ,..and I luv me :laugh:
    My Hubby is Blk,Native American and Carribean...our kids are beautiful!!:happy:
    p.s.,..my kids think I'm Mexican....:laugh: ...go figure!! (they're 6 & 7 yrs. old!!!)

Bottom line is ,...it does'nt really matter we are all Humans on this Planet,..we all cry..we all bleed,..we all laugh,and we all love!:happy:
  • Blown_Away1
    Blown_Away1 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Bottom line is ,...it does'nt really matter we are all Humans on this Planet,..we all cry..we all bleed,..we all laugh,and we all love!:happy:
    [/quote]

^^^ I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS!!! ^^^
  • Thick2Fit1991
    Options
    1.) What are you mixed with? Spanish, French Canadian and German :blushing:
    2.) What ethnicity have you often been mistaken for? Mexican, Cuban & Filipinow/white
    3.) Is you hair Curly or Straight? Curley, Course and frizzy :mad:
    4.) Was coming from different backgrounds challenging growing up? Challenging no, akward at family reuinions since I was the only one that was Tan, short, black hair and brown eyes :glasses:
    5.) Which background do embrace most? Spanish :) and French Canadian
    6.) Have you ever been teased for being different? No, more accepted than anything
    7.) Have you ever been ashamed of being Multiracial? Never! 8.) Do you feel that being Mixed has it's benefits? Yes, I know two languages and have beautiful children
    9.)What makes being MultiRacial a beautiful thing? I find bi-racial or multi racial people to be far more beautiful or handsome and exotic as appos to a single race person.
    10.) Any advice to some who struggle with their Multiracial Identity? Be happy for every race that you embrace and are because there may be negativity to particular races however each has there good and bad, and have all contributed to man kind wonderfully in some way.:flowerforyou:
  • crazytreelady
    crazytreelady Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    1.) What are you mixed with? Mongolian, Cree, Russian, Polish, Ukrainian, Scottish and French.
    2.) What ethnicity have you often been mistaken for? Every one thinks I am not mixed haha.
    3.) Is you hair Curly or Straight? Straight
    4.) Was coming from different backgrounds challenging growing up? A little awkward going to powwows when I was little.
    5.) Which background do embrace most? Aboriginal and Russian
    6.) Have you ever been teased for being different? Not a lot.
    7.) Have you ever been ashamed of being Multiracial? No
    8.) Do you feel that being Mixed has it's benefits? Yes it does.
    9.)What makes being MultiRacial a beautiful thing? The fact that you have so many vast histories in your blood.
    10.) Any advice to some who struggle with their Multiracial Identity? F*** em, who cares
  • Jenny_Taylia
    Jenny_Taylia Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    1.) What are you mixed with? Austrian, Native (cree), irish and Russian
    2.) What ethnicity have you often been mistaken for? Austrailian because of my accent
    3.) Is you hair Curly or Straight? Straight
    4.) Was coming from different backgrounds challenging growing up? Sometimes, People use to make fun of my Native background.
    5.) Which background do embrace most? Native
    6.) Have you ever been teased for being different? Not as much as when I was younger
    7.) Have you ever been ashamed of being Multiracial? Never
    8.) Do you feel that being Mixed has it's benefits? Yup
  • tennisbabe94
    tennisbabe94 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    1.) What are you mixed with? Half Spaniard half Cameroonian.
    2.) What ethnicity have you often been mistaken for? I always get Indian, Sri Lankan, Latina
    3.) Is you hair Curly or Straight? Curly and I love it!
    4.) Was coming from different backgrounds challenging growing up? Being expected to act a certain way... even though I don't identify with being black or white. I'm mixed. I am who I am. If you're going to categorize me or stereotype me, I have no issue confronting someone about their ignorance.
    5.) Which background do embrace most? Both. I speak Spanish and French. I've been integrated into both cultures. I guess Spanish more because I know more of my Spanish family. My Cameroonian family is huge so I don't know them all so well.
    6.) Have you ever been teased for being different? Nope. Besides dumb black jokes...
    7.) Have you ever been ashamed of being Multiracial? Never! It's one of the things I love most about myself.
    8.) Do you feel that being Mixed has it's benefits? Ummm.... being sexy ;)
    9.)What makes being MultiRacial a beautiful thing? You get the best of multiple worlds, especially if you embrace the cultures.
    10.) Any advice to some who struggle with their Multiracial Identity? Be yourself! Own it.
  • Charmed285
    Charmed285 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    my cousins are mixed with black and white and they have curly hair from hell and doesn't help they nor does anyone else do it properly.
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options

^^^ I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS!!! ^^^
    [/quote]

I think it does matter. While people shouldn't be judged based on their appearances, it would be a boring planet if we all looked the same. And unfortunately, it does matter and people are harassed.

My mom was lily white and her mom remarried a mexican guy. They had a daughter together and after that, things were never quite right. When they lived in Tijuana, her uncle was to look after her (he was 14) He got a lot of grief for that, too. His mom got grief just for allowing some "dirty lil gringa" living in her house.
    The Mexicans that lived there gave her grief and the white tourists gave her grief, it was a lose-lose situation but she made the best of it. A little later a bunch of kids were at a theatre in TJ and a huge fire broke out. Her uncle saved her, but a lot of kids died that day.
    On the other hand, my 1/2 Mexican aunt pretty much ignored her father's culture. It wasn't until she married a Mexican-American man from Colorado did she even learn how to cook the food. She was actually quite racist and only identified as being a "white" person. This actually caused her kids a lot of grief since they looked more Mexican than their mom. My cousin and I look nothing alike (I'm pretty pale) so people who saw us together thought we were dating... and that didn't go over well.

I'm an all American mutt. My relatives go all the way back to 1660 settlement in VA (nansemond/Isle of wright) on both my mom and dad's side. I didn't know about this til I was much older, but in school when they celebrated everyone's "heritage" I didn't have one. Most of my classmates were -Italian, -Greek, -Chinese... I was just a heinze 57 with no real "heritage" nothing to really identify with, and that can also be difficult. If I had only known my relatives were some of the first settlers I would have been a freakin rockstar in class. On top of being related to the house of York and Lancaster. Not that I would have known what that whole thing was about and how rich that history is in elementary. Kids want to feel like they belong, and they should feel that.
  • Squidgrok
    Squidgrok Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    English and Malaysian Chinese

Not mistaken rather that annoying game "guess my race" Most Asian races, Turkish, Native Indian..I'm sure there are others I just can't remember them

Wavy but I wish it was curly!

Filling up forms and you can only choose one ethnicity. How backwards is that. It was challenging growing up. I remember when I was about 5 or 6 and some kid telling me 'I don't belong in this country'. I didn't really get teased but I was mostly quiet and reserved.

English because I was born and grew up in England. As the years go by I have become interested in embracing the other side of me. Reading about the history of Malaysia and learning to cook the food.

6.) Have you ever been teased for being different? Yes when I was younger. And only one time relatively recently with Asian jokes. Its funny how certain stereotypes of certain races are not construed as racist- just a bit of fun ><. I stood up for myself and that event actually made me research other mixed raced people and their stories which are all so familiar to me.

Yes when I was younger

Absolutely. You have a mix of two different cultures. I wouldn't have gone to visit Malaysia were it not for I was mixed. Not only that, I think mixed race people tend not to be racist.

Your features are unique. We are Tomorrows people lol

10.) Any advice to some who struggle with their Multiracial Identity? I would encourage them to look at other people's experiences. Its really refreshing to find that you're not alone. That helped me. Also of course you are more than your genetic makeup!

I love this quote my Margaret Cho and its so true that the stereotyping happens in hollywood. I've paid more attention to this recently and it does piss me off!

"I am secretly a costume drama queen. Oo, I love me some Merchant Ivory films! I do! If there is a petticoat and Helena Bonham Carter, already I can feel the tears well up in my eyes. I love me some period films! And I know that I will never be in them. I will never be in any of these movies, unless I am laying down on my side smoking some opium. And I get offered movie roles all the time, but I say, "No! No! I don't want to play a manicurist. I don't want to play a really pissed-off liquor store owner. I don't want to go nowhere with a chicken under my arm. I don't want to play an exceptionally good student, I do not want to get off a tour bus and take numerous photographs, I do not ever want to utter the phrase, 'Welcome to Japan, Mr. Bond'! I don't want to write down all my memoirs about being a geisha!" What it is, is that I cannot run up a wall!!"
  • My0WNinspiration
    My0WNinspiration Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    1.) What are you mixed with? Blk/white/Indian

2.) What ethnicity have you often been mistaken for? Indian

3.) Is you hair Curly or Straight? Curly

4.) Was coming from different backgrounds challenging growing up? Nope

5.) Which background do embrace most? Blk

6.) Have you ever been teased for being different? Just for being overweight, thats "different"

7.) Have you ever been ashamed of being Multiracial? Nope, I love my hair!

8.) Do you feel that being Mixed has it's benefits? Nope.

9.)What makes being MultiRacial a beautiful thing? My skin tone

10.) Any advice to some who struggle with their Multiracial Identity? Just be YOU, not a color.
  • JannaLawless84
    JannaLawless84 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    1.) What are you mixed with? Black and White
    2.) What ethnicity have you often been mistaken for? Polynesian
    3.) Is you hair Curly or Straight? Kinky
    4.) Was coming from different backgrounds challenging growing up? yes, very
    5.) Which background do embrace most? white
    6.) Have you ever been teased for being different? yes
    7.) Have you ever been ashamed of being Multiracial? yes
    8.) Do you feel that being Mixed has it's benefits? I can relate to many parts of life, and beautiful tan year round!
    9.)What makes being MultiRacial a beautiful thing? best of many worlds
    10.) Any advice to some who struggle with their Multiracial Identity? look at the best in you, and learn to love it
  • RandiLandCHANGED
    RandiLandCHANGED Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    1.) What are you mixed with? French Canadian and Caribbean
    2.) What ethnicity have you often been mistaken for? East Indian, Aboriginal, Mexican
    3.) Is you hair Curly or Straight? Curly and frizzy
    4.) Was coming from different backgrounds challenging growing up? Not really
    5.) Which background do embrace most? Caucasian, I guess? This is difficult to answer.
    6.) Have you ever been teased for being different? yes
    7.) Have you ever been ashamed of being Multiracial? No
    8.) Do you feel that being Mixed has it's benefits? I have nice skin :)
    9.)What makes being MultiRacial a beautiful thing? Seeing how different the same combination can look.
    10.) Any advice to some who struggle with their Multiracial Identity? Just love yourself. Focusing on identifying yourself by your race may be hindering those struggling. Just be you!
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options

1) NDN, Portuguese
    2) Latina, Italian, Lebanese, Syrian, Japanese, Russian
    3) Straight
    4) Yes, at times it was challenging, but I wouldn't change it for the world.
    5) I don't favour either--I embrace all of me.
    6) Yeah, got teased here and there as a kid...a little bit as an adult, too!
    7) Yeah, there were plenty of moments when I felt very awkward.
    8) Yes, I like the way I look. I also enjoy when people aren't sure what ethnicity I am, and want to claim me as one of theirs.
    9) I think the expansion of one's own cultural sphere is a lovely thing. Being multiracial or multicultural, we get that automatically, from birth.
    10) Look for beauty within your own cultural traditions/people, but also strive to recognise it in others.
  • cbuggy75
    Options
    1.) What are you mixed with? Black and white (my mom is white my dad is black)
    2.) What ethnicity have you often been mistaken for? Hispanic
    3.) Is you hair Curly or Straight? Combo depending on how I let it dry after washing it.
    4.) Was coming from different backgrounds challenging growing up? Yes, where I grew up we were the only biracial kids.
    5.) Which background do embrace most? Both, I would never deny either side. Each side makes me who I am.
    6.) Have you ever been teased for being different? Yes, its odd when your blonde hair mother walks in the school for lunch.
    7.) Have you ever been ashamed of being Multiracial? Nope, I love it. I couldn't appreciate it when I was young. I do now.
    8.) Do you feel that being Mixed has it's benefits? Sure it does, just like anything else in the world.
    9.) What makes being MultiRacial a beautiful thing? Not sure how to answer this, beauty comes from different places not from race.
    10.) Any advice to some who struggle with their Multiracial Identity? Be you, do what makes you happy and don't allow others to make you feel like you have to chose a race. There could never be a more beautiful YOU :)
  • Yella0606
    Yella0606 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Mother Italian, Father Black

Puerto Rican

Super Curly

Yes, I didn’t fit in anywhere. I was to white for the black kids and to black for the white kids. There were no other bi-racial children in school with me till middle school and then it was only one other girl. In high school there were two other girls and one boy.

I would say equally, but my husband (who is black) would say my white side

Yes!!!! I was bullied the whole time I grew up. I didn’t realize my differentness was special till after I graduated High School.

NO!

Yes, I have the best of both worlds.

I think all races are beautiful and combined they take what is good from both ethnicities and combine them into one.

I was raised by my “white” mother so I might have lost what people consider to be “black” ways and I was teased for that. You have to look inside yourself and see your beauty for who you are as a person. Being one race or the other doesn’t make you superior and this day in age that shouldn’t even matter. We have a bi-racial president for crying out loud. All races individual or mixed are beautiful and if someone is making you feel bad because you are mixed then they do not need to be in your life. You are beautiful and no one should ever make you feel anything less than that, not even yourself.

Do not worry about fitting into this box that everyone tells you, you have to fit into. When I realized that I don’t have to act “white” or I don’t have to act “black” I started to love me more for being different. I love that I have a mixed back round and if someone doesn’t like me because of that one reason then that is their problem.
  • tifferz_91
    tifferz_91 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    1. What are you mixed with?

● Greek

● Italian

● Russian

2. What ethnicity have you often been mistaken for?

Usually everyone always gets at least one or two of my ethnicities right haha.

3. Is your hair Curly or Straight?

Straight

4. Was coming from different backgrounds challenging growing up?

A bit.

5. Which background do embrace most?

I embrace all of them. It makes me who i am :smile:

6. Have you ever been teased for being different?

Yep.

7. Have you ever been ashamed of being Multiracial?

When i was younger, yes. Now, no.

8. Do you feel that being Mixed has it's benefits?

Sure. I like how i stand out look-wise.

9.What makes being MultiRacial a beautiful thing?

I personally think all races/ethnicities are beautiful & unique in their own way.

10. Any advice to some who struggle with their Multiracial Identity?

Love it. Embrace it. You're a blessing of existing interracial love :smile: