Maintenance, scary!

Options
I reached my goal weight at the end of July and have been maintaining since. I just redid my goals and now have an extra 500 calories to eat in a day based on keeping my weight the same and exercising more. This seems really scary to me and I 'm worried I will fall off track. Anyone else out there that has been through this? Historically, this is when I have problems, I'm good at loosing and gaining but, have a hard time maintaining.

Replies

• astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    It is the most difficult part, but you can do it...Add the calories a litte at a time, say 100-200 per day extra for a week or so, then 300, then up to 500 or whatever you find you maintain on...Keep making healthy choices - it helps to keep the carb bloat down... Other than that, just keep on doing what you have been doing - just with more calories....
    It can be done - I've kept 55 lbs off for almost four years now - and as long as you don't see this as the "end of your diet", it works!
  • zoukeira
    zoukeira Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I think a huge key to maintaining is continuing to monitor your weight or your measurements, that way you'll know when you've gained 5-10lbs and be able to do something about it in a few weeks, rather than waiting until you've gained 30-40.
  • LadyRhodes01
    LadyRhodes01 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I am 6 lbs below my goal. I have not yet changed my cals to maintenance. I just gradually increased to 1400. I'm going to increase after a month to 1500. I believe I can maintain, and not gain a tone of weight, as long as I incorporate what I have learned. Healthier food choices and regular exercise is the key. I worked too hard to get the weight off this time, I can't get relaxed. Yes, truthfully I am terrified to change to maintenance suddenly, due to knowing if done suddenly, weight gain will occur. But, eventually, I will get there. I agree with previous comment..monitoring weight regularly, to see if caloric increase affects scale much. Also, congrats on reaching your goal.Since we're in the same boat, you can add me. We can definitely support eachother.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!