Gonna hate the day when I run of calories for my treats

Options
I am on over 1500 calories and I can fit in a little treat each day. Most of the time it is just a small piece of chocolate but there are days when there is a birthday at work and I get tempted with a doughnut. I still manage to stay within my calories which I am grateful for and I know for a fact that this is one of the reasons I have been successful so far. However I know there are many people on the site who are on 1200 calories or just a bit higher. If I was on this many calories I think I would have to skip the treats as I would likely run out of calories. However a part of me thinks that this would be a disaster as I have had issues with food since I was a child and I wonder if I would start binge eating as I would feel guilty about eating this. What are your thoughts on this? Is anyone on 1200 calories and how do you manage your treats? I mean I am assuming that as you start to lose your calories drop? Am I mistaken?

Replies

• EnchantedEvening
    EnchantedEvening Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    Well, you can still have little treats. You just have to find the low-cal versions. I just had a Hershey Special Dark fun size, which was 42 calories. :)

Do you exercise? If you eat 1200 calories per day but burn 300/day through exercise, you can still eat 1500/day.

Also, if 1200 is too restrictive, keep it at 1500. You'll lose a little bit less each week, and I do mean a little, but if it means keeping your treats, keeping you happy, keeping you from binging, etc, then maybe it's worth it to slow the rate of loss.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Find out what your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) is for your goal weight. Although it's just an estimate, that should give you a good idea of your final calorie goal when you are maintaining. If you're on 1500 now, it's unlikely you'll need to drop down that low. Your calorific needs do drop a little as you lose weight, but on the other hand, the closer you get to goal, the smaller a calorie deficit you should have anyway, so it should kind of even out. I was at 1200 for a while and to be honest, I've always found room for chocolate. I've had issues with food in the past, and for me, keeping the "treats" has worked. It doesn't work for me to be too rigid, and in allowing myself to eat whatever I want, I have found that I have gradually and naturally migrated towards a healthier diet without really trying.
  • fun_b
    fun_b Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Well, you can still have little treats. You just have to find the low-cal versions. I just had a Hershey Special Dark fun size, which was 42 calories. :)

Do you exercise? If you eat 1200 calories per day but burn 300/day through exercise, you can still eat 1500/day.

Also, if 1200 is too restrictive, keep it at 1500. You'll lose a little bit less each week, and I do mean a little, but if it means keeping your treats, keeping you happy, keeping you from binging, etc, then maybe it's worth it to slow the rate of loss.

I forgot about the exercise calories. I normally do exercise but I have been taken it easy the last few days as due to bad muscle cramps.
  • Ruthe8
    Ruthe8 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    So... don't go to 1200 calories.