any big people do Couch 2 5k routine?

Options
2»

Replies

• KFuerst27
    Options
    I was going to do it but found I didn't need to. I have been exercising a lot at the Y since January, and sometimes have been asked to run as part of a workout such as for bootcamp. I ran what I could and walked the rest. I never pushed myself to run farther. I joined a weight loss challenge in September, and our team coach told us at our group workout that we were going to be running a 5K as our group training. Oh, the grumbling and grouchiness from me, because I hated running. That first day, I ran some and walked some. On my own, I ran a bit more. A few days later, I powered through the first mile I have run since high school. The next night, I did a mile and a half. At the next group workout, I had no idea how much I'd be able to run. Well, I ran it all. I use "run" loosely, because I'm incredibly slow, but I'm getting faster. The other night I ran a mile and a half, and I realized I had barely broken a sweat. Time to put a bit more effort into it I guess!

One of the trainers gave me a great tip about preventing shin splints. She showed me what I guess are toe lifts. Put your weight on the bottom of your heels and alternatively lift your toes/ball of the foot off the ground. Do that throughout the day to help prevent them.

I also agree about getting good shoes. There is nothing better than finding a salesperson who knows their stuff and can make solid recommendations to you.

Good luck and keep at it. You can do it! I am finding that the weeks that I get some good miles in are my best weight loss weeks. I have a long, long way to go, and I hope that running will help get me there a bit faster.
  • laureenkinnaman
    Options
    Maybe it's Shin Splints? Make sure you have really good shoes with good support. www.roadrunnersports.com recommends certain shoes for heavier runners. Also, start doing some "Hell-Walking" and "Toe-Walking" exercises--they will help prevent shin splints (I'm a runner and a personal trainer). You can also ice your shins after you walk/run). Maybe double the time for your C25k program...run half as much as each week the first week, then as it is written the second week. Just some ideas that may help.
  • laureenkinnaman
    Options
    *BLUSH* I meant "HEEL-Walking," not "Hell-Walking," sheesh.
  • 141by2016
    Options
    Take it slow, but I highly recommend the program. At your current level I would do each week for 2-3 weeks before moving up. You can do it!
  • Michaelsdin
    Options
    *BLUSH* I meant "HEEL-Walking," not "Hell-Walking," sheesh.

about to say what is hell-walking im good lol sounda dangerous! lol
  • Michaelsdin
    Options
    Maybe it's Shin Splints? Make sure you have really good shoes with good support. www.roadrunnersports.com recommends certain shoes for heavier runners. Also, start doing some "Hell-Walking" and "Toe-Walking" exercises--they will help prevent shin splints (I'm a runner and a personal trainer). You can also ice your shins after you walk/run). Maybe double the time for your C25k program...run half as much as each week the first week, then as it is written the second week. Just some ideas that may help.
    what are heel-walking and toe walking exercises?!
  • SASSYnCHICago
    SASSYnCHICago Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone for the replies so it sounds like i need new shoes, take it a little slower, and drop some more weight....well damn lol oh well guess ill take it slower and hopefully get new shoes monday. and the obviouse weight will go on its own hopefully long as i eat right and exercise daily

I was not big by the standard that others have stated above, but I never was able to run until I did the C25K. I think what helped me the most was learning to lap swim first as it was easier on my joints, and because I was over weight less stressful on my bones.
    I also did a clean diet for a few weeks, which was a killer after I have lost 16 lbs, and was training for my first (and only triathlon).

And speaking of Triathlons, I was amazed, simply amazed at all the overweight - but obviously cardio fit women who participated (no offer intended to anyone). I actually was proud to be part of a group of people trying their hardest to make achieve a fitness goal!

Keep making strive to a better you! You can do this, it will only take time - and time is on your side.
  • Michaelsdin
    Options
    thanks everyone for the replies so it sounds like i need new shoes, take it a little slower, and drop some more weight....well damn lol oh well guess ill take it slower and hopefully get new shoes monday. and the obviouse weight will go on its own hopefully long as i eat right and exercise daily

I was not big by the standard that others have stated above, but I never was able to run until I did the C25K. I think what helped me the most was learning to lap swim first as it was easier on my joints, and because I was over weight less stressful on my bones.
    I also did a clean diet for a few weeks, which was a killer after I have lost 16 lbs, and was training for my first (and only triathlon).

And speaking of Triathlons, I was amazed, simply amazed at all the overweight - but obviously cardio fit women who participated (no offer intended to anyone). I actually was proud to be part of a group of people trying their hardest to make achieve a fitness goal!

Keep making strive to a better you! You can do this, it will only take time - and time is on your side.

Yea i have been trying to eat healthy for the past 2 months went off a couple days but usually nothing major, i love to swim but no gym membership and no swimming pool at that. Thinking of weight training to cut back some weight along with still jog/walking routine maybe just do phase 1 2weeks phase 2 2weeks or more/less as needed.
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I started in august And I was right around 300lbs at that time. I need much more than the 9 week suggested timeline. I take it a month per level. Aug was week 1, sept wk 2, etc. I do a day per week because I believe as I move through the program the jog time will start to increase each day but so far it's been the same all month but when it does begin to progress with each session I'll be ready. So far I'm liking it. I can jog for 5 mins now. Never thought I'd be able to say that! Especially since I'm still 285 lbs.
  • happycauseIride
    happycauseIride Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    My thought is that it is a training program to just start running. I'm still 250 and Im on week 3 of the program and loving it. To me its not about being able to run a 5K in 30 minutes. To me its being able to run at all and psyching myself up to "suck it up" and do it anyway.

Give it a shot. The shin splints and leg cramps will go away with time. Wear good shoes and I run on a shock absorbing treadmill, but others prefer outside. What ever you enjoy that will get you to do it.

Have fun with it, do your best and Good Luck.
  • phoenixgirl81
    phoenixgirl81 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I started using the c25k programme at around 110 kg (243 lbs). I don't know if this is "heavy enough" for your question in your OP, but it's where I started so I thought I should share.

I thought I was going to die the first run. I was gasping for breath, and my shins hurt and I got a stitch in the first job that stayed with me throughout the whole session. But I've just finished week 3 and feel great about it.

The shin pains are better since I got myself good shoes. My doctor said I should try running on even ground on flat concrete (rather than the rocky, hilly bush track I do the sessions on), but I'm not really up to running in front of people yet, so that'll have to wait.

Edit: The doc also said I needed to stretch properly before I ran - she was right. This is a great help.

The stitch in my side...well I still get them, but much later in the session. I have learned that I breath on a 2-beat pattern, so that means I breath in and out every time my right foot hits the ground. I started to practice on a 3-beat pattern and that seems to have done a lot to reduce the stitch and it's intensity/duration.

My endurance has increased greatly. Where I used to think I was going to die in the 30 second jog, the last session on friday had me running at 3 minute intervalls and it was ok.

I was panicking about next week's session which has me making the leap to 8 minute jogging sessions, so I went for a run yesterday with the aim of seeing just how long I could job for without stopping. I jogged for 25 minutes straight!!! You could have knocked me over with a feather I was that shocked. Mind you, I was jogging pretty slowly (5.6km/hr or 3.5 m/hr)...but I was still jogging. Going to see what I can do tonight before starting week 4 tomorrow.

Hope this has helped.
  • Michaelsdin
    Options
    I started using the c25k programme at around 110 kg (243 lbs). I don't know if this is "heavy enough" for your question in your OP, but it's where I started so I thought I should share.

I thought I was going to die the first run. I was gasping for breath, and my shins hurt and I got a stitch in the first job that stayed with me throughout the whole session. But I've just finished week 3 and feel great about it.

The shin pains are better since I got myself good shoes. My doctor said I should try running on even ground on flat concrete (rather than the rocky, hilly bush track I do the sessions on), but I'm not really up to running in front of people yet, so that'll have to wait.

Edit: The doc also said I needed to stretch properly before I ran - she was right. This is a great help.

The stitch in my side...well I still get them, but much later in the session. I have learned that I breath on a 2-beat pattern, so that means I breath in and out every time my right foot hits the ground. I started to practice on a 3-beat pattern and that seems to have done a lot to reduce the stitch and it's intensity/duration.

My endurance has increased greatly. Where I used to think I was going to die in the 30 second jog, the last session on friday had me running at 3 minute intervalls and it was ok.

I was panicking about next week's session which has me making the leap to 8 minute jogging sessions, so I went for a run yesterday with the aim of seeing just how long I could job for without stopping. I jogged for 25 minutes straight!!! You could have knocked me over with a feather I was that shocked. Mind you, I was jogging pretty slowly (5.6km/hr or 3.5 m/hr)...but I was still jogging. Going to see what I can do tonight before starting week 4 tomorrow.

Hope this has helped.

That sounds great good for you. Yes all this information has helped me in some way or another, I don't mind running infront of people because atleast I am getting out there. Shoes are a big problem for me right now and I will be getting this issue fixed tomorrow I am not waiting until monday i need a new pair of shoes to run in badly. I kind of run on flat ground for the most part. And over all i really do feel good after my runs but its the during that is killing me. I will do my walk/job routine and by the end walk session i can barely lift my legs might be time to work on some shin muscles after i get my pair of running shoes. What type of stretching do you do? That's another big problem for me I need to figure out before run stretchs maybe time to do some more internet research.

Oh and my breathing yea i haven't got that down at all yet lol. When it becomes heavy i try to switch things around never works i finally catch my breath once i start my walk phase.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    Good shoes are really important. Also, cross training with cycling helps (a stationary bike works just fine).

I started C25K a couple of months ago. During the intervals, I thought I was going to die. It was so hard. I thought that I was just too heavy, and that was the reason for it. But, my slim cousin started C25K at the same time, and found it just as challenging. I can now run for 45 minutes to an hour. There are some steep hills on my favorite trail run, and I still walk those, but I'm making progress and am able to tackle a bit more of each hill every time I run.

When I started, I was running on a track. So, it was flat, no inclines at all. During the jog phases, my heart rate would jump up to 165-170 each and every time (even for the little 1 minute sessions). On today's run, I noticed that my HR was sitting at around 130 unless I was going uphill (then it would get up into the 150's & 160's). I was realizing that it's time to pick up the pace. That's amazing progress in a few short months. I am still incredibly slow. But, I'm just proud to be running.

Moral of the story: yes, you can run if you are heavy. But, there are a few things that you can do to make it easier on yourself: go slow, have good shoes on, and cross train. It gets easier, I swear it. Pretty soon, you'll learn to love it (and hate it, and love it, and hate it ;) ).
  • phoenixgirl81
    phoenixgirl81 Posts: 309 Member
    Options

Hope this has helped.

That sounds great good for you. Yes all this information has helped me in some way or another, I don't mind running infront of people because atleast I am getting out there. Shoes are a big problem for me right now and I will be getting this issue fixed tomorrow I am not waiting until monday i need a new pair of shoes to run in badly. I kind of run on flat ground for the most part. And over all i really do feel good after my runs but its the during that is killing me. I will do my walk/job routine and by the end walk session i can barely lift my legs might be time to work on some shin muscles after i get my pair of running shoes. What type of stretching do you do? That's another big problem for me I need to figure out before run stretchs maybe time to do some more internet research.

Oh and my breathing yea i haven't got that down at all yet lol. When it becomes heavy i try to switch things around never works i finally catch my breath once i start my walk phase.

Stretching:

I stand with my toes on a step and let my heels hang off the step and lower my heels until I can feel a good stretch (shouldn't hurt bad).

I stand at the bottom of the steps and put one of my heels on a step a few up (maybe 3 or 4 steps up) with my leg out straight and feel the stretch at the back of my legs. Repeat with other leg.

I am not able to bend my leg back and hold my foot yet to stretch the quads, but we do have a small-ish otto bin (rubbish bin) at the right height and I bend my leg and put my toes (upside down) on top of the bin lid and feel the stretch through my quads (front of the top part of my leg).

Same again when you finish the run.

Oh, and tonight's effort saw me jogging for 44 minutes straight!
  • kandilynn03
    kandilynn03 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I tried to start (I'm at 280 lbs.) I got shin splints, so I went back to walking. I'm looking to buy new shoes and start again. In the meantime, I'm walking and doing Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred.
  • tpt1950
    tpt1950 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Regardless of your size you need to make sure you have properly fitted running shoes to support your feet and minimize impact. Make sure you go to a running store and get them to assess your gait and recommend a shoe. Shin splints are often caused by landing hard on your heels, with extra weight it makes it even worse. Take small steps and land midfoot. You can help to strengthen the muscles in your shin by doing toe raises or stand on the edge of a step with just your toes on the step and raise yourself up and down. A shin splint is just the muscles in your shins rebelling like any other muscle not used to be worked.

^ Definitely this!
  • Alex729
    Alex729 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I tried at my heaviest and it was not even a little bit successful the way written, Surpried 911 was not called on me as i was trying to run all out of breath, red faced looking like i was having a heart attack. I had to modify it and it took much longer, however it will also depend on your athletic ability, at the time I had none, I cried when I ran a mile for the first time. Big thing when I was that heavy was injury, make sure you go to a running store and are properly fitted. Also take your time do not run everyday. You can do it, if you need to modify do it, maybe you need to spend twice as long doing it maybe not, but I always felt the program was written for the firm couch potato, I was the mushy couch potato with butter and sour cream, it just took a while to firm me up. So you can totally do this, I think I was about 230 when I finally ran the 5k.

THIS!!!

I am going on my 3rd week of Week 1 :) And this is after trying and giving up C25K over the summer. I probably walk faster than I jog, but that doesn't matter to me. What matters is that I can jog comfortably and not feel like I'm going to have a heart attack! To me, that is success!