Can the same exercise routine slow your progress?

Options
I've basically a cardio junkie. It's really all I do, 45-60 min on the treadmill and I never burn less than 500 calories in a single session (my intensity varies, so I'll burn between 500 and 800). However, I've been reading up that too much of the same routine isn't good, as it can hurt your muscles and your body will become too "used" to the routine, this slowly the progress. Is this true? Is it okay to do cardio everyday?

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    It's better to mix it up with some strength training. Anything you do repeatedly will become easier and burn less as time goes on. Your body becomes really good at adapting to be very efficient at anything you do all the time, the reason why work calories shouldn't be counted.
  • FitandFab33
    FitandFab33 Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Yes.. mix it up.. add in different cardio.. and if you can muster it, strength train!!!!

If you are just anti-strength training, try adding some HIIT cardio a few days a week in place of steady state. :-)
  • uyent
    uyent Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I am not sure about hurting your muscle's part but I know I was doing the same workout and just recently a month ago switched to doing something else. I found I was more tired during the new workout. I was getting not as tired as I initially was with the old workout. I have lost about 3-4 pounds already with the new workout. I think my body did need the change. I am not sure if there's too much cardio. I have read both sides to this one. But changing up your routine and using different muscles with different workouts is most likely going to get you to lose weight more so than doing the same routine. Some people do every other day of strength training. Good luck to you whatever you decide to do!
  • SASSYnCHICago
    SASSYnCHICago Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    You have basically answered your own question, you want to do a variety of work outs to "wake up" all the muscles in your body, and not just use the one that hold and work from memory. Strength training will build lean muscle, which in turn burns more calories during your cardio exercise. I've read that doing cardio first will burn more calories as it revs up your heart rate and blood circulation. So simply do your cardio, than 15 minutes of weights and you will see quicker results. Vary your cardio always - like kickboxing, or aerobic interval training. -Have fun in whatever you do is important also. - I get bored doing the same old thing - and that doesn't keep me motivated.
    Best of luck.
    I've basically a cardio junkie. It's really all I do, 45-60 min on the treadmill and I never burn less than 500 calories in a single session (my intensity varies, so I'll burn between 500 and 800). However, I've been reading up that too much of the same routine isn't good, as it can hurt your muscles and your body will become too "used" to the routine, this slowly the progress. Is this true? Is it okay to do cardio everyday?