Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

If you breastfeed...

How many calories a day do YOU take in? Are you loosing weight well? Whats your exercise like? I know its different for everyone but after researching, researching some more and reading 'Eat Well, Lose Weight, While Breastfeeding' Im more confused than ever :-/ just curious how many calories everyone takes in. Any insight on the subject would be great :-)

Replies

• FitandFab33
    FitandFab33 Posts: 718 Member
    It depends on how old your LO is, if you're exclusively breastfeeding etc (to determine amount of calories used to produce milk).

My baby is 5 months and he's exclusively breastfed. I have been spotting myself 500kcal/day for breastmilk, but I rarely eat those. I generally shoot for 2000-2200 kcal/day (but I'm almost 5'11" and I'm heavy with a high TDEE) but I'm almost always short of that. I have lost weight fairly well, but I work out hard- strength training 5-6 days per week most weeks.

If you don't mind answering some questions, I'll be happy to crunch some numbers to give you a baseline...
  • Get120
    Get120 Posts: 56
    I would greatly appreciate it! What do you need to know?
  • FitandFab33
    FitandFab33 Posts: 718 Member
    Height, weight, goal weight (or goal for your program- weight loss, fat loss, muscle gain, etc)

Age of baby- exclusively BF or formula supplement, eating solids/how much if so

How often are you working out/how long each time/what type of workouts.. (or planning to do if you're gearing up).

I find it easier to set my activity level within MFP to mod active and not add in exercise calories unless I have an extreme day.

And feel free to message me the details- I know it can be daunting to just put it all out there... :-)
  • elleru
    elleru Posts: 12 Member
    My baby boy is 7 months old, and starting to eat some solids (but mostly still painting his face with whatever I manage to get between his gums). I'm 5'6 and currently 195 lbs, down from 210 in early October. I aim for 1700 kcal per day, with a combination of cardio and strength training 4 days a week. I also am a firm believer that calories don't count on Friday after 5 pm until bedtime. I'm at my pre-baby weight, but now am focusing on pre-college poundage!
  • 86rollyb
    86rollyb Posts: 72 Member
    You've already got some great advice but I just thought I'd share what is working for me :) I'm 5'5 142 lbs and I eat between 1500-1800 a day depending on what i've done for exercise :) I've managed to lose 40 of the 45 lbs I gained while pregnant and my daughter is 3 months :)
  • arains89
    arains89 Posts: 442 Member
    I am 5'7" 167 pounds. I exclusively breastfeed. My daughter is 7 weeks old. I eat about 1500 calories per day and am only 5 pounds from my pre baby weight. Of course my goal weight is lower but I have lost weight pretty well so far and was just cloeared to start exercising a week ago. Good luck!