I dont really understand?

Okay, so people say, oh losing weight is actually very easy, you just burn more calories then you eat!
And then people say, eat 1200 calories each day. Now, Im not sure, but I dont think I burn 1200+ calories every day, that seems like alot of calories to burn!

So, do I just have to work out for many hours, to burn more then 1200 or what?

Replies

• Troublemonster
    Troublemonster Posts: 223 Member
    You most assuredly burn more than 1200 per day just by being alive, exercise expenditures are in addition to your baseline burn.
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    You havent taken into consideration that your body burns calories just by functioning.
    http://www.barbellsandbeakers.com/2012/07/04/the-math-behind-weight-loss-caloric-deficit-explained/
  • Jkmumma
    Jkmumma Posts: 254
    Unless you are very petite and thin, keeping yourself alive burns more than 1200 calories a day alone, even if you spent all day in bed.
  • chelle_fri
    chelle_fri Posts: 333 Member
    So BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) Is the number of calories it takes to sustain your body if you just laid in bed all day. There are calculators for this if you google it. For me, I'm 24, 5'5" and weigh 174 right now, my BMR is 1604. This means that my body will burn this through out the day no matter what. That's not including day-to-day activities or what exercise burns.

People usually say 1200 calories because it's the lowest, but still safe, number to lose weight. MFP will suggest a specific number for you based on level of activity, desired results, how often you work out, etc...

To answer your last question, no you do no have to "work out" for extended periods of times. It's just that the more you exercise, the bigger your caloric deficit will be. For every pound of fat you want to lose, you have to burn 3500 calories. A healthy weight loss goal is 1-2 pounds a week.

This is all a very vague break down. If you have further questions, feel free to message me.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    You burn calories every day just living and breathing, even while you sleep.

Edit: Your profile says you're a nursing student. I would think you would know the human body a little more than this post suggests...

I don't know about you but I fear for our future nurses!

op while running around and going to school and brushing your teeth and eating drinking masturbating lifting walking.....you probably burn upwards of 2200-2500 cals a day.
    Hence the information labels on all food containers have the words "based on a diet of 2000-2500 calories"
  • Yeah, you burn calories just by existing. Breathing, digesting food, walking from the couch to the refrigerator, all burn calories.
  • LadyVeng3ance
    LadyVeng3ance Posts: 236 Member
    You burn calories every day just living and breathing, even while you sleep.

Edit: Your profile says you're a nursing student. I would think you would know the human body a little more than this post suggests...

I don't know about you but I fear for our future nurses!

op while running around and going to school and brushing your teeth and eating drinking masturbating lifting walking.....you probably burn upwards of 2200-2500 cals a day.
    Hence the information labels on all food containers have the words "based on a diet of 2000-2500 calories"

Wow, thank you both for your degading words.

Fyi, I am a first year nurse student, and we have still not learnt about this in school. I am sorry if I asked a stupid question, that everyone should know. But Id rather ask and know, and then never ask and not know. I will be a great nurse, and youd both be lucky to have me.
  • LadyVeng3ance
    LadyVeng3ance Posts: 236 Member
    So BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) Is the number of calories it takes to sustain your body if you just laid in bed all day. There are calculators for this if you google it. For me, I'm 24, 5'5" and weigh 174 right now, my BMR is 1604. This means that my body will burn this through out the day no matter what. That's not including day-to-day activities or what exercise burns.

People usually say 1200 calories because it's the lowest, but still safe, number to lose weight. MFP will suggest a specific number for you based on level of activity, desired results, how often you work out, etc...

To answer your last question, no you do no have to "work out" for extended periods of times. It's just that the more you exercise, the bigger your caloric deficit will be. For every pound of fat you want to lose, you have to burn 3500 calories. A healthy weight loss goal is 1-2 pounds a week.

This is all a very vague break down. If you have further questions, feel free to message me.

Thankyou for the reply :) I will see if i cannot find out what my BMR is ;)
  • Changing_Charity
    Changing_Charity Posts: 197 Member
    just because she is a nursing student, doesnt mean she should know this. that is why she is a STUDENT, so she can learn! i work in an emergncy department and even the doctors dont always have all the answers.

dont let them get to you, hun.
  • I was a nursing student before I changed courses. I got extremely high marks and was commended for my practical work.
    I also didn't know the answer to this question, and have learned a lot, so thanks OP!
    Nobody knows everything- who hasn't seen a clueless doctor?
  • Woe she asked a simple question and needed help and encouragement and SOME of you smug people just dumped on her.
    Hope your proud of yorselves.
    So dont listen to them just read what has been suggested and keep on track.
    I have lost 70 pounds and i look and feel much better.
    The heart attack gave me the incentive. Its all worth it and it may save your life one day like it is doing mine at the moment.
    You will have doubters and you will find they are just jealous of your progress.
  • taylorblues
    taylorblues Posts: 49 Member
    ...........see below.........posted reply in the wrong place.
  • taylorblues
    taylorblues Posts: 49 Member
    Don't ever think you are stupid,,,,,,,,,,far better to ask a question than to make a guess which can be wrong, especially in your profession. I'm sure you will make a great nurse, If you look in 'apps' there is a tool for working out your BMR. Most people on this site say that you should always net to at least your BMR.

Good luck in your studies.
  • Helloitsdan

Thankyou for the reply :) I will see if i cannot find out what my BMR is ;)

(((HUGS)))
    I was being snarky.
  • Helloitsdan
    OP are your photos current?
    You would probably want to only cut about 15-20% from TDEE once you figure that number out.
    PS you look pretty damn good.
  • LadyWeaselofVT
    LadyWeaselofVT Posts: 77 Member
    He's right: if your photos are recent, you look great so maybe the number on the scale isn't the one to focus on--- you might get the results you want by toning and strengthen exercises. Maybe use a measuring tape instead?