Calories Burned

Options
I've been reading around but im still not 100% sure on this. At the moment i am allowed 1600calories per day. I go to the gym 5 times a week and burn around 500-600 calories. Now my question is on the days i go to the gym is my daily allowance of calories 2200? Because i can just about make it to 1600 a day. I only eat 3 meals a day with no snacks.

It seems strange to me that you would burn 600 calories just to eat them again. Then what is the benifts of an hour in the gym other than burning calories?

I really this has been answered before, sorry for that i'm just confused and this is kinda a major factor of loosing the weight.

Tom.

Replies

• BigdaddyJ
    BigdaddyJ Posts: 357
    Options
    there's a 2 page long answer for that.....but in short, you have to get as close as your daily quota as you can (even the exercises calories).

If you dont, your body goes into starvation mode and will store fat and eat into you muscle mass instead of burning fat.

You should also add 2-3 snacks in you schedule. Personnaly I eat every 3 hours, thats breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, supper. Never eat less than 3 hours before bed. On the days that I have a heavy cardio raining (6 days a week some weeks!!!) I have nuts or trail mix as a snack. They are higher in calories but are full of protein and "good fat" that helps me reach my calorie goal without forcing myself to eat more.

Also drink a lot of water between meals, it helps you not feel so hungry.

It's working very well for me! i've been loosing 5 lbs a week for 3 weeks since i started!!

Good luck!
  • LBNOakland
    LBNOakland Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    My personal trainer told me to eat 1200 to 1400 calories a day PERIOD! She said there is no EARNING CALORIES thru exercise. She doesn't care if I burn 1200 calories through exercise! I guess that would work once you've lost and you just need to maintain. Hope that helps! Good luck!
  • BigdaddyJ
    Options
    Maybe you should ask your NUTRITIONNIST instead of your trainer.....some trainers are more after the fast results than the healthy ones....

If you eat nothing but bread and water for two weeks and you'll still loose weight but is it healty?

It's almost impossible to get into the dept of things in a post like that unless your a professionnal (wich I'm not). But if you are serious about changing your life, loose weight and keep it off I suggest you see a certified nutritionnist and heve it all explainned to you.

There are all kind of believes on this site that it gets confusing...If you have a considerable amount of wieght to loose I suggest that you start by seeing a professionnal (Doctor or Nutritionnist) Dont trust all the trainers, some are real good others should be in jail!! lol(from my personnal experience!)
  • Girlmom282109
    Girlmom282109 Posts: 2,643 Member
    Options
    I've been reading around but im still not 100% sure on this. At the moment i am allowed 1600calories per day. I go to the gym 5 times a week and burn around 500-600 calories. Now my question is on the days i go to the gym is my daily allowance of calories 2200? Because i can just about make it to 1600 a day. I only eat 3 meals a day with no snacks.

It seems strange to me that you would burn 600 calories just to eat them again. Then what is the benifts of an hour in the gym other than burning calories?

I really this has been answered before, sorry for that i'm just confused and this is kinda a major factor of loosing the weight.

Tom.

put it this way. If you eat 1200 calories and burn 600 your body has to rely on only 600 calories for fuel. That's not a whole lot of calories. I don't eat all of my exercise calories but I do eat about half of them.

Hope you get the answer you're looking for!!
  • Redkoala
    Redkoala Posts: 146
    Options
    Any ideas on what crosstrainer comes under in the diary? Cant find it
  • flbeachbuddy
    flbeachbuddy Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Here's a message board that lists other postings that are very helpful, including eating your exercise calories. I find that the extra calories lets me think I am not deprived. I don't always eat all of them, but try to eat a good part of them. You can plan ahead eat some of the calories, but then you better exercise. :wink:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/23912-links-in-mfp-you-want-to-read-again-and-again

Banks is now known as SHBoss1673 is studying to become a Personal Trainer. Another person posted this about him:

he is very educated on the body. Please see his profile. He is currently training for the profession, but when he posted that thread, was not a coach trainer. He is careful to research and state FACTS though, and is backed up by others on mfp who are educated and professionals.
  • BigdaddyJ
    Options
    Here's a message board that lists other postings that are very helpful, including eating your exercise calories. I find that the extra calories lets me think I am not deprived. I don't always eat all of them, but try to eat a good part of them. You can plan ahead eat some of the calories, but then you better exercise. :wink:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/23912-links-in-mfp-you-want-to-read-again-and-again

Banks is now known as SHBoss1673 is studying to become a Personal Trainer. Another person posted this about him:

he is very educated on the body. Please see his profile. He is currently training for the profession, but when he posted that thread, was not a coach trainer. He is careful to research and state FACTS though, and is backed up by others on mfp who are educated and professionals.

Yep! I'm a disciple of Banks too!!!
    lol
  • Redkoala
    Options
    Thanks for the link im starting to work this out now. According to what i have read you can go under your daily calories by 1000 without effecting your weightloss would this be fair to say?
  • BigdaddyJ
    Options
    Yes.....and no........

The 1000 is just an estimation...to play it safe I aim for 750-500 bellow, sometimes i only make -200. There,s no definit answer because everyone is different and also your body changes as you loose weight and get in better shape.

Do you do muscular training also? that and eating more often will speed up your metabolism and make you burn more calories at rest, wich in my opinion is the secret to loosing weight and keeping it off!!

As long as you remember that not eating enough is just as bad as eating to much you'll be ok.
  • Redkoala
    Options
    Yea i totally get the point of having to eat the right amount or you wont loose weight. Hence making this post i didn't want to carry on my diet and in 2 weeks fine out hehe. As far as muscular training goes i do use the weight machices for like 10-15mins when i go. I might try do like 30-40mins cardio 20-30 weights then that sound about right?

And just checking over my diary i found that 2 slices of toast with 15g of flora spread on is like 300 calories so im sure i could eat something like that on my exercise days.
  • lgblack
    lgblack Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Remember that the 1600 cal you are allowed has ALREADY been REDUCED from the number of calories required to MAINTAIN your current weight. So weight loss has already been calculated in. As someone says, if you burn alot in exercise per day, you need calories to fuel just that...let alone calories required to get you through the day. I have lost weight using the calories allotted...so keep exercising.
  • BigdaddyJ
    Options
    Yea i totally get the point of having to eat the right amount or you wont loose weight. Hence making this post i didn't want to carry on my diet and in 2 weeks fine out hehe. As far as muscular training goes i do use the weight machices for like 10-15mins when i go. I might try do like 30-40mins cardio 20-30 weights then that sound about right?

And just checking over my diary i found that 2 slices of toast with 15g of flora spread on is like 300 calories so im sure i could eat something like that on my exercise days.

what I do is 40 min of cardio + abs 3 days a week, 30 mins of strenght training (lower weights, 8-15 reps) 3 times a week and taekwon do at least 2 of those 3 days. Sunday is my rest day, I'll usually go for a walk of do wii fit for 20-60 mins. The bif thing is to start slow and go gradual so you dont get hurt or discouraged.

One more tip about food, it's also about when youeat what. I usualy time my training session just before I need a snack. Eating your proteins and carbs right after your training will help you recup faster!
  • Redkoala
    Options
    Yea thats what i tend to do. I go to the gym in the afternoon around 12 and eat at about 1.30-2pm. Thanks alot for your help, i understand this alot more now :) You may have saved me weeks if not months of doing this wrong lol.

6 days of exercise + wii fit on your day off lol. You're alot fitter than me lol. I manage 5days hopeful like you say as i get fitter and healthy im sure ill catch up :D
  • BigdaddyJ
    Options
    lol!

The sunday stuff is really low key, wii fit with the kids is more fun than exercise!!
  • vhuber
    vhuber Posts: 8,779 Member
    Options
    Your getting the food intake down now invest in a good heart rate monitor to REALLY see what calories you burn!! Good luck to ya!!!
  • BigdaddyJ
    Options
    Your getting the food intake down now invest in a good heart rate monitor to REALLY see what calories you burn!! Good luck to ya!!!

or use that counter it's a bit better than the one on mfp:

http://www.shape.com/fitness/tools_and_calculators/calorie_burn_tool
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    My personal trainer told me to eat 1200 to 1400 calories a day PERIOD! She said there is no EARNING CALORIES thru exercise. She doesn't care if I burn 1200 calories through exercise! I guess that would work once you've lost and you just need to maintain. Hope that helps! Good luck!
    Maybe you should ask your NUTRITIONNIST instead of your trainer.....some trainers are more after the fast results than the healthy ones....

If you eat nothing but bread and water for two weeks and you'll still loose weight but is it healty?

It's almost impossible to get into the dept of things in a post like that unless your a professionnal (wich I'm not). But if you are serious about changing your life, loose weight and keep it off I suggest you see a certified nutritionnist and heve it all explainned to you.

There are all kind of believes on this site that it gets confusing...If you have a considerable amount of wieght to loose I suggest that you start by seeing a professionnal (Doctor or Nutritionnist) Dont trust all the trainers, some are real good others should be in jail!! lol(from my personnal experience!)

I had an appointment with a registered dietician at the hospital a few weeks ago, and she told me to stick to 1500 calories with no earning exercise calories back.
  • BigdaddyJ
    Options
    Maybe you should ask your NUTRITIONNIST instead of your trainer.....some trainers are more after the fast results than the healthy ones..

I had an appointment with a registered dietician at the hospital a few weeks ago, and she told me to stick to 1500 calories with no earning exercise calories back.

That sounds about right for someone your weight, I'm almost 80 lbs heavier than you so my daily calorie needs are gonne be higher...(I'm at 1600-1800 a day)

It all goes by your weight and how active you are, if your dietician calculated you daily ecercise in the 1500 it's all good, 1200-1400 calories is just NOT healthy for anyone who exercises reguarly and is over weight (I dont know if that's the case in the tread above).

it's all about perception...the calorie goal mfp gives you doesn't take your daily exercise into account, just your general activity, a dietician will go more in dept, ask you 100 questions and mesure your bmi ect....MFP is only a guide ;)
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    That sounds about right for someone your weight, I'm almost 80 lbs heavier than you so my daily calorie needs are gonne be higher...(I'm at 1600-1800 a day)

It all goes by your weight and how active you are, if your dietician calculated you daily ecercise in the 1500 it's all good, 1200-1400 calories is just NOT healthy for anyone who exercises reguarly and is over weight (I dont know if that's the case in the tread above).

it's all about perception...the calorie goal mfp gives you doesn't take your daily exercise into account, just your general activity, a dietician will go more in dept, ask you 100 questions and mesure your bmi ect....MFP is only a guide ;)

Nope. It was just based on my weight, nothing to do with daily activity. She didn't even want to see the results of the body mass analysis I had done over the summer. I figure I paid for the program, I'll give it a whirl. It's only 12 weeks, and I can always change back to what I was doing before if I feel like I need to....
  • BigdaddyJ
    Options
    humm that's odd, i've been followed by 3 different nutritionnists over the years (I'm military, I move a lot^^) and it's the first time I hear about setting a calorie goal wothout a summary of your daily activities....maybe someone else can light my lantern here but I dont get how one can set suche a goal without knowing what you do in a day...

Ex: I need a lot less calories now that I'm a trucker than I did when I was part of a recon unit....

I guess the topic is opened, like I say I'm a trucker, not a doctor lol, all I can do is share personnal experience!