Options
2»

Replies

• californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I found this quite interesting.
    Almost like a modified BMI
    You measure your "Frame" from places on your body where the bones stick out (wrist bones or elbow bones) - not sure if they stick out for everybody
    and then add your height and it says a 10kg range that is "ideal"
    obviously doesnt take into account composition (much like a bmi)
    http://www.superskinnyme.com/ideal_weight_calculator.html

I'm 5'8 and people always say i dont look as heavy as I am, and my bones stick out and I wonder if it's coz I have a "large" frame.
    The BMI says 55-75kg for my height is ideal. But at 55kg I looked unhealthily thin (in my opinion)
    The calculator says I should be 66kg-76kg

I like a calculator that gives you a weight range and then once you get there you can decide what is best for you. Once you get within range and decide what you like you will fluctuate anyway. It's not like you get to a specific weight and stay there. You have to manage it just like when you are losing and I have found all the tools and skills you learn along the way in your weight loss journey come into play when you reach your goal. In fact it is trickier because you are walking a finer line with calories, you can't eat too much and you can't eat too little. What is cool is that once you are in range you can go up or down in body fat while sculpting your body with workouts (lifting weights will have the most effect, cardio is good for you but does not change your shape much, I like both cardio and weights) until you find what you like best for yourself. Mainly don't limit yourself. You can have whatever you want.

The tool I use says this is the range for you: 5’8” 127 – 160 Lbs. That's a pretty big range.

I just got this in email yesterday and I found it quite useful: http://bradpilon.com/weight-loss/womens-body-ideal-measurements/

Best of luck to you! -Bobbie
  • _AllieCat_
    _AllieCat_ Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing. According to your link I'm a large frame with a ideal weight of 133-155 pounds.
    That's funny, because my 1st goal is to hit 155, and my ultimate goal is to hit 135. Looks like I knew my body more than I thought I did. :)
  • emdeegan
    emdeegan Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Worked for me. I'm small framed, 5'4" and it gave me 114-127 range which is very accurate. Under 114 and over 127 and I definitely don't look my best. More specifically I think my absolute ideal is between 116-118.
  • Serenstar75
    Serenstar75 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I've just done this measurement, and having lost (to my mind) too much weight after my dad died very suddenly a couple of years ago, I was still never under 10 stone, and I had people telling me I looked poorly I was so thin. To have a healthy BMI for my height I need to be under 10 stone. This calculator confirmed my large frame (seems odd for someone of 5'4" but I swear my shoulders would be good for rugby/football) and reckons the upper limit of ideal weight to be around 10.5 stone.

I have a large frame at 5'2" (5 1 3/4) My dad's shirts (he was 5'9" and in the thin to medium build range, never overweight a day in his life) were always too snug in the shoulders. I won't go smaller than a man's large just because of my shoulders. My ideal according to this would be 123-143. I do find around 143-150 I look and feel great. I'm 189 right now.
  • helyg
    helyg Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Thanks, this is definitely worth knowing.

I have a large frame - UK size 9 feet, bigger wrists than my husband and shoulders a rugby player would be proud of. I don't yet know what weight will look "right" on me as I am still using, but have set my initial goal as the top end of my BMI, which is 154lbs. This calculator suggests 140-159lbs. I guess I won't know for sure until I get there!
  • Michellerawrrr
    Michellerawrrr Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I know this has already been said, but I agree 100%. I am not a fan! This does not account for LBM!
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    If you forget about weight, and just work on a healthy body fat, you don't need to worry about it. Body fat takes everything into account.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    If you are fat and you measure your fat wrist and your fat elbow of course it will tell you that you have a large frame. The average adult skeleton weighs 20 lbs and differences are based more on height difference than whether you have a large or small frame. It's another illusion used by dieters to tell themselves that they weigh more because they have a large frame.

http://www.likecool.com/Body_Scans_of_two_Women_250lb_vs_120lb--Pic--Gear.html These body scans of 2 women show how little skeletal difference there is but if the one on the left measured her wrist I bet she comes up with having a large frame! Aside from that it's pretty enlightening to see how much fat is stored around the organs.
  • soulfulsally
    Options
    I think that calculator is pretty much garbage for anyone who's got a lot of weight to lose. It told me I'm a large frame, but when I was thin I did that wrist test for a biology course and my frame was off the chart (just below the range for small).
  • victoriavoodoo
    victoriavoodoo Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    If you are fat and you measure your fat wrist and your fat elbow of course it will tell you that you have a large frame. The average adult skeleton weighs 20 lbs and differences are based more on height difference than whether you have a large or small frame. It's another illusion used by dieters to tell themselves that they weigh more because they have a large frame.

http://www.likecool.com/Body_Scans_of_two_Women_250lb_vs_120lb--Pic--Gear.html These body scans of 2 women show how little skeletal difference there is but if the one on the left measured her wrist I bet she comes up with having a large frame! Aside from that it's pretty enlightening to see how much fat is stored around the organs.

well then what about the elbow joint? That way seems more accurate because you can feel for the bony part and use the space in between your fingers/a straight line as opposed to a circumference. Anyway mine told me I have a small frame but that I am rather above my ideal weight range for this frame, so it doesn't just make everyone feel better(quite the opposite lol). Wrist and Elbow gave same results. But I can see where it would be harder to accurately measure the more weight someone has to lose
  • cappri
    cappri Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options

Interesting that you think that. Obviously there are different body types, all you have to do is look around at a room full of people to see that. While I agree that saying "I have big bones." is not an excuse to remain fat, I disagree that there is not a difference in frame size of people. I have broad shoulders, narrow hips, and gain weight first and foremost in my stomache area, at 5'8" I'm on the tall side of average. Of course I'm going to look different at any given weight, than someone with wider hips and narrow shoulders who tends to gain weight in their butt and thighs. Perhaps you would refer to this as something different than frame size?
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    The way you carry your weight is definitely different than your frame. It makes a difference if you carry a lot of muscle or not as well. You'll look much different if you have wide shoulders than someone who has wide hips. Measuring body fat is a much better calculator of whether you're at an ideal weight than some online calculator that uses a tape measure around your wrist and elbow.
  • leesehm
    leesehm Posts: 117
    Options
    I agree that body fat calculations are the gold standard. But not as easily accessible and even if you buy skin fold callipers - it doesnt mean you are measuring it correctly!
    I use my waist/hip/etc measurements to calculate my BF % and compare that with my personal trainers and mine is always lower than his by like 3%

Also yeah the measurements have to be where bones stick out. so if bones don't stick out on your wrist or elbow you will over estimate your frame.

Yes the BMI is limited as it just considers your weight but it frustrates me when people say this because for the average person it is a pretty accurate place to start!

Edited to add: Not justifying the "I'm big boned" thing because somebody's frame size is not usually the root of your problem at 150kg. But for someone like me who is close to their ideal body weight - it is interesting. I could never be a size 6 (NZ) (0 or 2 in US I think) because my hip bones even when very skinny would be too wide for a size 6.
  • Serenstar75
    Serenstar75 Posts: 258 Member
    Options

Interesting that you think that. Obviously there are different body types, all you have to do is look around at a room full of people to see that. While I agree that saying "I have big bones." is not an excuse to remain fat, I disagree that there is not a difference in frame size of people. I have broad shoulders, narrow hips, and gain weight first and foremost in my stomache area, at 5'8" I'm on the tall side of average. Of course I'm going to look different at any given weight, than someone with wider hips and narrow shoulders who tends to gain weight in their butt and thighs. Perhaps you would refer to this as something different than frame size?

Thank you!!! I was going to say similarly. I'm solidly built. I do disagree with this person. I'm short. I can't DO 110 because I'd look anorexic AND be unhealthy. But that weight is perfect for a lot of women my height. By that same token, usually people under-guess my weight. I use it as a tool to know where I feel healthy, not as an excuse.
  • RikkiDominey
    RikkiDominey Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    bump for later