Accurate BMR?

Options
I have seen posts on here from people who have had their BMR tested. I don't mean using an online calculator but in real life, with a doctor/dietician or something. This is something I would be interested in investigating but have no idea where to start. I am in the UK. Can anyone advise? I don't know if this is something you only can get if you are referred by a doctor or a service you can pay for. Anyone know?

Replies

• janemem
    janemem Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I'd be interested to find out too.
  • Marquism123
    Marquism123 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    most nutritionists would have an advanced scale that electronically reads your lean body mass, body fat mass and a bunch of other stuff.

you might be able to find a clinic etc that has the bells and whistles "breathe into this cup way" but:

you may as well just get a good measurement of your body fat and use the catch mckardle BMR as that is the calculation used by the machine mentioned above once it has measured your bodyfat.

there are small RMR measurement machines for the consumer market if you were that way inclined, you breathe into it and it does stuff.

there was a time when I wanted to get a laboratory tested BMR, but for the price of finding out your BMR once you could find better uses for the money.

I invested my money in a FitBit one, which is like a pedometer, tells you your steps, distance traveled stairs climbed as well as your calories burnt, so:

every day you have a customised calorie count including your exercise cals so you know everyday what your TDEE -deficit is, so instead of just having your bmr done once, you could have a fitness assistant in your pocket giving you your numbers everyday, syncing with MFP and also keeping all your data on their website.

second thing better than a lab bmr is a heart rate monitor, I'm going for the Polar H7, syncs to MFP or fitbit - not sure eeeggsactly how it syncs up, but it will give you very good feedback on your exercise burns.

no 3 is a good scale that includes a bodyfat % calculation - I'm going for the fitbit aria. its better to track your bodyfat % (if your close to your goal) much more than your bmr. - its accurate to .25% compared to industry standard electronic BF% measurements

what I'm trying to say is theres a lot of data you can use to your advantage with a bit of $$ which is much more useful and deliverable on a daily basis.

this is the most accurate BMR calc outside of a laboratory setting. you shouldn't need more than that. I payed $25 for my nutritionist to give me pretty much the same number for BMR.

Katch-McArdle BMR:Considered the most accurate formula for those who are relatively lean.

Use ONLY if you have a good estimate of your bodyfat %.

calculate your body fat here
    http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/mbf/

KM BMR
    http://www.calculatorpro.com/calculator/katch-mcardle-bmr-calculator/
  • Marquism123
    Marquism123 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your reply. I hear what you are saying but I just really struggle to lose, despite tracking everything to within an inch. Perhaps a HRM is the way forward for me