How effective are push-ups for ladies? How many can you do?

Options
13»

Replies

• LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    They're definitely an awesome arm, chest, and ab toner! I can do 10 sets of 20 (200 total) military-style in an hour.
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Push ups have always been my nemisis so it's one of the things I'm using as a benchmark for improvement. I'm up to 17 regular push ups and want that number to keep going up. I'm going to check out the 100 push up program.
  • AddieOverhaul
    AddieOverhaul Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I started doing them against the kitchen counter - wall was too easy but knees were too hard. Now I do knee pushups. I can only do about 1 or 2 regular pushups, and probably not with the best form, so I'm going to mostly do knee ones until i get stronger.
  • 4months2beingthin
    Options
    Thanks everyone. That was informative.
  • wildapril
    wildapril Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    At my college, we did pushups as a matter of discipline and motivation (military college) and the freshmen were led in doing pushups by one of the upperclassmen.

When I was a freshman, one of our upperclassmen was injured. Instead of doing the pushups with us, he got in position on one arm, the other in a sling (he tore his shoulder badly). He just held that position until we were done. Then he started doing as many one-armed pushups as he could until we finished. He went from one or two to more than 10 in the space of a few weeks.

Man, I felt weak next to him.

Pushups helped me build up a strong core, upper-body strength, and increased my hand strength. How effective are they? Incredibly.
  • sam308lbs
    sam308lbs Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    I was watching G I Jane last night and Demi Moore did some bada$$ one arm pushups in there..Amazing!!

5qDG7.jpg
  • johloz
    johloz Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Push-ups are the best! Start knocking out as many "boy" push-ups as you can with proper form, then drop to your knees and keep going with proper form. Then lie on your stomach and do cobra push-ups with proper form. That will increase your ability in a very short time.

Nowadays, I can knock out between 40-50 regular pushups straight with good form, but back after I graduated basic training I could do over 75 non stop. I don't think I'll get there again -- maybe if I was still doing hundreds every day.