How many calories does photography burn?

Options

Replies

• Sabrina__26
    Options
    Personally I wouldn't count it. I only count exercise that I've done at the gym or using workout videos etc. When I go to the gym, that's a extra 15-20 minutes fast walk there and back, but I never add that 30-40 minutes of walking, even though I know I'm burning more calories.
  • basillowe66
    basillowe66 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    If you are running from location to location, tthen maybe quite a few. if you are driving and walking
    NONE You have to get active on your non photo days and get active on this site to modify your eating habits!! Good luck!!!!!!!!!

Basil
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I used to be a pro, meaning, I made my living from photography. When I shoot, I come home dripping wet. I don't know why. It's just the intensity of the mental exercise and the physical. But, I might be different, but I don't use tripods,a nd I am very active. I probably do 10000 squats looking for different angles and all that. Also, the next day I am really sore, like I did an iron man competition or something. I can barely move. And, I am really hungry. So, for me, I would count the activity very high in the calorie burn area. People don't understand this, but my friends that have gone with me are surprised at how difficult it is. Again, maybe it's just me. I'm kind of intense. Lol.
  • Stripycat
    Stripycat Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I shoot weddings, and a minimum of 3 hours on your feet, occasionally fixed in position, but other times running, walking, crouching, crawling, holding odd positions to get the right angle, with all your kit on your back really takes it out of you. I found a rating for fishing from the riverbank (or something similar) and I use that.
  • EnchantedEvening
    EnchantedEvening Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    While walking around with camera equipment for several hours per day is a lot of work, it's hard to know how much aerobic exercise you're getting.

What I mean is, I don't count something as "exercise" on MFP unless my heart rate gets up around 130-140. Anything else, like a walk through the mall with a friend, cleaning the house (sweeping, dusting, easy things like that), grocery shopping, and so on - I just consider that bonus exercise and don't log it. While I'm active, and that's great for my body, it's not aerobic exercise that's going to give me a burn. Yes, I'm burning a few more calories, but not enough that I'd want to count them.

Does that help?

If you still want to log it, I would use the "carrying child" or "light backpack" setting and put down 1-2 hours at a slow pace.

I just read the other posters. I didn't realize you might be crouching and squatting too. I would definitely count that if you're running around like a wedding photographer. Wedding photographers are ACTIVE. :)
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    I'd just estimate how many minutes you walk for and divide it by 3. I'd be very reluctant to eat back calories spent on short walks. I mean, I spend about an hour a week at Tesco stopping and starting, reading labels etc, carrying shopping and wouldn't log that!
    I don't eat back calories I get by exercise, if anything I am generally less than weekly recommended calorie requirement (without counting exercise calories).

If you don't eat exercise calories, what does it matter how much you burn?
  • GuybrushThreepw00d
    GuybrushThreepw00d Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I'd just estimate how many minutes you walk for and divide it by 3. I'd be very reluctant to eat back calories spent on short walks. I mean, I spend about an hour a week at Tesco stopping and starting, reading labels etc, carrying shopping and wouldn't log that!
    I don't eat back calories I get by exercise, if anything I am generally less than weekly recommended calorie requirement (without counting exercise calories).

Yeah, I was wondering this.... It make a no sense.
  • yogeshsarkar
    yogeshsarkar Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    If you are running from location to location, tthen maybe quite a few. if you are driving and walking
    NONE You have to get active on your non photo days and get active on this site to modify your eating habits!! Good luck!!!!!!!!!

Basil
    Driving, no. But the last time I was there, I was walking at least 4-5 miles each day. I know it’s not much, but it seems like a lot to a guy like me who works from home :p
    I used to be a pro, meaning, I made my living from photography. When I shoot, I come home dripping wet. I don't know why. It's just the intensity of the mental exercise and the physical. But, I might be different, but I don't use tripods,a nd I am very active. I probably do 10000 squats looking for different angles and all that. Also, the next day I am really sore, like I did an iron man competition or something. I can barely move. And, I am really hungry. So, for me, I would count the activity very high in the calorie burn area. People don't understand this, but my friends that have gone with me are surprised at how difficult it is. Again, maybe it's just me. I'm kind of intense. Lol.
    I definitely don’t squat all that much, but do get tired a lot, but I guess that is mostly due to the fact that I am out of shape :p. I don’t use tripod all that much, unless I am shooting in the morning or at night, especially since almost all monuments here prohibit its usage, unless you get written permission from the Archeological Survey of India.
    I shoot weddings, and a minimum of 3 hours on your feet, occasionally fixed in position, but other times running, walking, crouching, crawling, holding odd positions to get the right angle, with all your kit on your back really takes it out of you. I found a rating for fishing from the riverbank (or something similar) and I use that.
    Hmm… will check that out, thanks.
    While walking around with camera equipment for several hours per day is a lot of work, it's hard to know how much aerobic exercise you're getting.

What I mean is, I don't count something as "exercise" on MFP unless my heart rate gets up around 130-140. Anything else, like a walk through the mall with a friend, cleaning the house (sweeping, dusting, easy things like that), grocery shopping, and so on - I just consider that bonus exercise and don't log it. While I'm active, and that's great for my body, it's not aerobic exercise that's going to give me a burn. Yes, I'm burning a few more calories, but not enough that I'd want to count them.

Does that help?

If you still want to log it, I would use the "carrying child" or "light backpack" setting and put down 1-2 hours at a slow pace.

I just read the other posters. I didn't realize you might be crouching and squatting too. I would definitely count that if you're running around like a wedding photographer. Wedding photographers are ACTIVE. :)
    Nowhere near as active as wedding photographers and I don’t think people would continue behaving as they normally do (essential for street photography), if they saw a 280 pound guy running in their direction with a camera in his hand :D
    Just for the feel good factor, since like I said, in case of this trip that is coming up (and hopefully a few more in coming months), I wouldn’t be able to work out.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    If you don't eat them back, then log them as 1 if you insist on logging something.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/exercise/diary/darrensurrey
  • yogeshsarkar
    Options
    If you don't eat them back, then log them as 1 if you insist on logging something.
    hmm.. guess weighing scale after the trip would be a better indication of things, though I do lose a lot of water on my rides as well, so don't know how accurate it would be.
  • Katbody10
    Katbody10 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    hmm.. guess weighing scale after the trip would be a better indication of things, though I do lose a lot of water on my rides as well, so don't know how accurate it would be.

If you really want to log something .. maybe you can figure how many miles you walked (stopping/starting) .. and simply log 100 calories per mile. I would venture to say that you will burn at least that with the weight of equipment you're carrying, plus your personal weight (not being in shape). unless it's all downhill .. you are expending more energy than you normally do in a sedentary environment.

100 calories per mile .. if it takes you an hour or 3 hours to walk .. would be a safe and conservative guesstimate

Edit: Note** I'm in shape .. and walk briskly uphill in my neighborhood .. up to 5 miles (half is uphill) .. it takes me about an hour and 15 minutes to walk the route .. and I burn about 257 calories in that time. .. I'd only be able to log 50 calories per mile. However, I'm not hauling around excess weigh on my back .. or my body frame and I am fit. I'll be burning less calories on my walks.
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    I would just consider it work...and I don't log it.
  • CarolynB38
    CarolynB38 Posts: 553 Member
    Options

This is a really good point. I'm strictly amateur, but after a 2 1/2 hour session of taking action shots from various angles at a karate tournament, I was shattered! It doesn't look like you are doing much but I know I felt like I'd done a workout when I got up the next day. Admittedly there was a lot of getting down on the floor and back up again to get the best angles and a little walking around, but I didn't think I'd be that tired afterwards. Perhaps I should wear a HRM next time to see just what I do burn (unless I'm competing myself!) :bigsmile:
  • Katbody10
    Options
    I would just consider it work...and I don't log it.

I wouldn't either .. but he leads a very sedentary life otherwise. This is like a major cardio workout for him compared to those of us that are more fit and in better shape.

Imagine spending all your time sitting .. only walking to the bathroom, the kitchen.. a few short jaunts to the grocery store. Then.. once a month you strap on a 15 lb backpack .. and carry a 1 lb dumb bell and walk .. leisurely for 3-4 hours on Sat and Sun. It is most definitely extra effort and exercise he doesn't get on a normal day/week of his life
  • Pandy1962
    Pandy1962 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Buy a pedometer, log how many steps you take, The British Heart foundation say that if you do 10,000 steps a day you burn 400 cals, That is my preferred form of exercise and it is working for me.
  • wheldar
    Options
    Good question and so many good anwers. I have often wondered the same as in my work I walk properties, taking photos. This also includes taking stairs and climbing on roof areas and up ladders. Kind of hard to guage this type of excercise. I do wear a pedometer and log my daily walking routes. Though the walking is not consistent excercise, I do walk considerable distances in a day. Sometimes, as much as 5-6 miles in a day. I was actually surprized after I started wearing the pedometer that I walked that much in a day. I usually work 3-4 days a week, with 3-6 miles a day which averages 15.75 miles a week (3.5 days x 4.5 miles-averaged). This was eye opening and made me feel good about getting more excercise in than I originally thought I was.

Since the walking, taking photos and climbing stairs is not 'consistent'; I would consider using a slow pace walk at 1-2mph as a sample rate. this is the calc I use. I hope I am hitting the mark and not fooling myself here.

I have also started using a treadmill for 20 minutes a day every day to add to what I already walk during working days. The treadmill will give me a consistent result and build stamina and get my HR up to a good rate.

Anyway, good questions as I have also wondered about 'excercise' level of photography work.
  • Katbody10
    Options
    Buy a pedometer, log how many steps you take, The British Heart foundation say that if you do 10,000 steps a day you burn 400 cals, That is my preferred form of exercise and it is working for me.

I WISH!! :happy: I walk well over 9,000 steps on my 5 mile morning walks .. and burn only 257-260 calories. And I'm walking briskly and half my walk is straight up hill.
  • Pandy1962
    Pandy1962 Posts: 105 Member
    Options

I WISH!! :happy: I walk well over 9,000 steps on my 5 mile morning walks .. and burn only 257-260 calories. And I'm walking briskly and half my walk is straight up hill.

Go onto the BHF website the info is on there. I added it to my exercise tab when I started and it seems pretty accurate for me as I eat my exercise calories back and I have been losing. Maybe it is not for someone who is quite fit as the BHF tends to be looked at by people who have had Heart Attacks etc, so are often overweight etc. I looked when my hubby had a HA and he had to up his exercise etc for rehabilitation.
  • yogeshsarkar
    Options
    This is a really good point. I'm strictly amateur, but after a 2 1/2 hour session of taking action shots from various angles at a karate tournament, I was shattered! It doesn't look like you are doing much but I know I felt like I'd done a workout when I got up the next day. Admittedly there was a lot of getting down on the floor and back up again to get the best angles and a little walking around, but I didn't think I'd be that tired afterwards. Perhaps I should wear a HRM next time to see just what I do burn (unless I'm competing myself!) :bigsmile:
    Sounds like a lot of fun. Haven’t done anything of that sort, though have covered a few stage performances and boy it is fun.
    I wouldn't either .. but he leads a very sedentary life otherwise. This is like a major cardio workout for him compared to those of us that are more fit and in better shape.

Imagine spending all your time sitting .. only walking to the bathroom, the kitchen.. a few short jaunts to the grocery store. Then.. once a month you strap on a 15 lb backpack .. and carry a 1 lb dumb bell and walk .. leisurely for 3-4 hours on Sat and Sun. It is most definitely extra effort and exercise he doesn't get on a normal day/week of his life
    Exactly, it is a lot of hard work at the end of day and not just me, guys who are decently fit, also get tired, just that I am a lot more tired. So kind of seem a bit disappointing, if I couldn’t factor it in, especially since something like that would probably give me a little more incentive to do this a bit more regularly.
    Good question and so many good anwers. I have often wondered the same as in my work I walk properties, taking photos. This also includes taking stairs and climbing on roof areas and up ladders. Kind of hard to guage this type of excercise. I do wear a pedometer and log my daily walking routes. Though the walking is not consistent excercise, I do walk considerable distances in a day. Sometimes, as much as 5-6 miles in a day. I was actually surprized after I started wearing the pedometer that I walked that much in a day. I usually work 3-4 days a week, with 3-6 miles a day which averages 15.75 miles a week (3.5 days x 4.5 miles-averaged). This was eye opening and made me feel good about getting more excercise in than I originally thought I was.

Since the walking, taking photos and climbing stairs is not 'consistent'; I would consider using a slow pace walk at 1-2mph as a sample rate. this is the calc I use. I hope I am hitting the mark and not fooling myself here.

I have also started using a treadmill for 20 minutes a day every day to add to what I already walk during working days. The treadmill will give me a consistent result and build stamina and get my HR up to a good rate.

Anyway, good questions as I have also wondered about 'excercise' level of photography work.
    Yes, it doesn’t seem like much, since we are generally stopping for quite a while, but it is a lot of work.

I am thinking of creating Street Photography as Exercise in MFP with average calorie burnt while standing as the parameter for it. I know we would actually burn more, but it seems like a good starting point and wouldn’t actually be over counting that way.
  • pixtotts
    pixtotts Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    i put it as walking but only put down a fraction of the amount of time im there...
    i do the same for shopping so i may be gone 4 hours but ill count it as a hour and half, maybe 2 depending on how i feel...
    x