How to know how many calories

Options
I had some leftovers from a restaurant I went to yesterday before I started this plan today, and never asked how many calories per serving or such. I tried to enter it into my diary, but I don't have a calorie count. I ate 1 and 1/2 fillets of catfish, and a small serving of fried okra. If anyone has any idea of the amount of calories that's in this or at least a rough estimate, I'd be grateful.

Replies

• EnchantedEvening
    EnchantedEvening Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    Try to find entries that match it closely. Is the catfish grilled without a coating, or is it breaded? You can estimate the amount of catfish you ate by looking up visual examples of how many ounces are in X amount of meat. (For example, 3 ounces of uncooked meat is about the size of a deck of cards.)

Same for the okra. Just find something close.

Does the restaurant have nutritional info online?
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    All you can do is estimate based on the amount you ate--you find the best estimation and log it. If you have no idea where to start then weigh your leftovers and estimate based on how much you ate compared to how much is left.
  • yourenotmine
    yourenotmine Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Are these things not in the food diary? I'd just use that and take my best guess, probably rounding up a little.
  • Carrievaught
    Options
    Are these things not in the food diary? I'd just use that and take my best guess, probably rounding up a little.
    No they aren't in the food diary. Thanks everyone. I'll look it up online.
  • marialleras
    Options
    I had some leftovers from a restaurant I went to yesterday before I started this plan today, and never asked how many calories per serving or such. I tried to enter it into my diary, but I don't have a calorie count. I ate 1 and 1/2 fillets of catfish, and a small serving of fried okra. If anyone has any idea of the amount of calories that's in this or at least a rough estimate, I'd be grateful.

WHAT I DO IS GO TO GOOGLE AND TYPE UP FOR EXAMPLE CHILLI'S NUTRITION FACTS AND IT GIVES ME EVERTHING ON THERE MENU THAN I USUALLY DO THE MATH HOPE THIS HELPS AND WELCOME!! :happy:
  • marialleras
    Options

WHAT I DO IS GO TO GOOGLE AND TYPE UP FOR EXAMPLE CHILLI'S NUTRITION FACTS AND IT GIVES ME EVERTHING ON THERE MENU THAN I USUALLY DO THE MATH HOPE THIS HELPS AND WELCOME!! :happy:

I MEANT WELCOME TO MFP :happy:
  • Carrievaught
    Options
    Thanks to all you. I did google it, and it took a bit, but found what I was looking for. I also realized I had to enter each thing separately.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Well there's lots of entries for okra. For instance, in the database.
  • Carrievaught
    Options
    Well there's lots of entries for okra. For instance, in the database.

Yea it took me a minute to figure out how to enter stuff. Also had to enter everything separately instead of all at one time.
  • AyaKara
    AyaKara Posts: 220
    Options
    Look on the website! I always look at restaurant websites for nutritional info before I go out to eat to choose the best place, even when looking for a new place. :smile: