How do you fight depression?

Options

Replies

• seal57
    seal57 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Ok:
    Background:
    Finances are hard right now and every payday is a struggle. I refuse to live like this forever and that is why i'm getting my bachelor's degree. It just feels mentally that this is neverending struggle.

Boots--our cat of 10 years. Was sick for 1 1/2 days. Next day he was gone--as in missing. His is a home boy and never leaves more than a few hours. He definitely does not miss mulitple feeding times. We have searched and searched our house and neighbors with no luck. As soon as I realized the next morning he was gone, I felt in my heart that he went off to die. I have no idea what in the hell would take a cat so very fast like that but this is what we think.
    He was a good cat. He was the calmest cat I have ever seen, even as a kitten. He was living on the streets and starving. Shrugs, I cant look into a baby's face and know that he's starving--he was so skinny when he first came here. He was a cutie too with dark grey fur and four white boots. RIP Boots.

Years ago, I had a bad reaction to a product I used for 2 1/2 years. Every since then, I get hit with depression every once in a while.

I know what works for me. These include: hard physical labor, sunshine, if it is a light case-music.
    Do you guys have things that you do if you get depressed? I would love more ideas.

Thanks--Debbie

I was diagnosed with depression early 2010. I was put on prozac and also started seeing a Psychologist. Prozac did nothing for me. I think is made me worse to the point that I took 32 of them a year ago. A few months ago I was put on Pristiq and they have been amazing. I still get hit with crying bouts but I don't get suicidal thoughts like I did on prozac.

One thing that has helped is music. Music makes me happy. I love to sing along to it and dance.

I hope you can find something that will be able to help you. But I feel you should go and see your doctor so you can be properly accessed.
    :flowerforyou:
  • true35
    true35 Posts: 43
    Options
    I have had moderate to severe depression intermittently since childhood, so I believe I know the ins and outs of it pretty well. I personally don't like drugs, but don't judge anyone for taking that route. That said, there are several facets of my life that seem to work together, and giving each of them proper attention is like an amplifier for happiness. On the flipside, the less I attention I give them, the less happy I feel.

Here is what works for me – I slowly have introduced these practices over the last year or so and depression has become the exception rather than the norm:

NUTRITION
    1) Eat more fresh and unprocessed food - Over the years I have found that engineered junk food tends to have a rebound effect the next few days for me; the withdrawal feels like quitting smoking did for me many years ago. I suspect some of the same ingredients put in cigarettes to make them more addictive are also used as flavorings in some processed food. I never get these reactions from minimally processed food. In fact, when I keep a pretty clean diet that has lots of vegetables and fruit with whole grains, I feel energetic and positive. I slowly introduced new healthy foods in my diet over time and realized how great they made me feel. I bought a juicer and make fresh vegetable and fruit juices a few times a week that make me feel wonderful.

2) Take a fish oil supplement - I really like Trader Joe's Sea Gummies with DHA

3) Take a multi-vitamin and mineral complex a few times per week or more often as needed, depending on how nutritionally sparse the diet is.

4) Swap virgin coconut oil (medium chain triglycerides--MCTs) for olive oil or butter in recipes – helps brain health and regulation of blood sugar/satiety

KICK ADDICTIVE HABITS TO THE CURB
    Nothing brings on severe depression like a cycle of addictive withdrawal. Whether it’s from binge eating, drinking too much, or smoking, you’ve got to kick the habit because the elation-depression cycle will never go away until you do. I’ve quit smoking, limited drinking to one glass of wine on Friday night, and am working very hard on curbing binge eating despite the urges that come up (they get easier to say no every time you do say no! It’s just mental conditioning and habit.), and combined with my other good habits, I feel so much better than before.

MODERATE EXERCISE
    …is better than an antidepressant, IMO; studies show at six weeks of either exercising moderately daily or taking an SSRI that both groups had greatly improved mood and the SAME levels of serotonin in the brain. Skeptically, I put it to the test, and you know, it took about six weeks for me to feel amazing almost every single day, save for two days a month when hormonally I feel horrible about two days after my TOM (been that way since 14 years old!), when my estrogen and norepinephrine are at all-time lows. But even that with daily exercise even those two days are very muted and able to be handled with minimal effort. It’s awesome. In any case, with exercise:

1) Find your sweet spot. I personally found that 45 minutes daily is the magic number for me to alleviate depression. In past years I was only doing 15-30 minutes of exercise each day, and didn't see the kind of lift in mood I was looking for, but after increasing the intensity and duration to 45 minutes, I saw a drastic change in outlook and mood. I use exercise videos so I can change them up easily and reduce boredom by trying new things. Vigorous low-impact cardio seems to be the best for alleviating depression and improving mood to dare I say, happy levels. :)

2) Experiment with new forms of activity. While I have favored aerobics in the past, I tried a qigong video the other day that blew me away with how calming it was, and I’ve just ordered a dance video. While I have “two left feet” (am super uncoordinated lol), I’m in the privacy of my own home with this video, so I’m going to have fun with it and see if I can’t teach myself a new skill while getting some exercise in.

QUIET “ME” TIME
    Discover or rediscover activities that you used to find enjoyable. I schedule actual “me” time on a daily basis and really look forward to it.

1) Reading. At first it was just getting in the habit of reading before bed, which got me relaxed and ready to sleep and allowed me to catch up on stuff I’ve been meaning to read for a while. Now I’m reading cool stuff of interest all the time, which keeps my curiosity piqued and less focused on ruminating on me.

2) Take numerous mental breaks during the day. I like to break up my work day with “get away from the computer moments” every few hours to go outside for a quick walk or even just to do a full-body stretch. It’s good to unplug and feel like a human being.

3) Contemplative time. Whether you call it meditation, prayer, or just “figuring stuff out” time, I like quiet time a few days a week to figure my stuff out. I’ve also found that morning journaling before checking e-mail is amazing for finding out what’s eating at you and to move beyond it. In my journal for each entry, I first empty my head, then I solve the problem by offering solutions as if I were a therapist, and then I move beyond it and set goals. It’s a great tool.

SOCIAL TIME
    1) Real people! Social media is sometimes a good replacement for social interaction, but ain’t nothing like the real thing, baby. Instead of poking someone on Facebook, pick up the phone and call them. It means more to both of you. Go out and talk to people, even if it’s just the mailman for a minute or the girl at the grocery store in the checkout line. Real human interaction is necessary to feel part of the world. Technology has isolated our world, but the good news is that it’s easily remedied by reaching out to other people in real life.

2) On that note, avoid real but toxic people. The family I grew up with, honestly, is a mess, and interacting with most of them, even by phone only, is so stressful that it’s usually a one-way ticket to depression and a pint of Ben & Jerry’s ice cream for days on end. So, I’ve had to work hard at finding the right balance of distance with them. For some people in my family, that means no contact at all, and for others, that means only every now and then. This past year I’ve also had to make some hard decisions and face difficult truths about friends who are simply mediocre friends; I’ve backed away from those who are “bad friends” and while at first it hurt a lot to face the truth that maybe I was a doormat for many years because I had self-esteem issues and put up with it, it feels great now because I’ve opened up the door for better friends who are just as invested in the friendship as I am.

3) Find other people interesting. Ask them about their interests, thoughts, and feelings, and not simply as a vehicle to air out your thoughts and feelings. Finding other people interesting is a magical way not to think about yourself—and everything you don’t like about you and your life.

4) Strive to help other people and you will help yourself in the process. Every person in this life has problems and everyone goes through hardship that challenges them. Seeing that you’re not so different from others in that regard will help you get off the pity train.

REGULAR SLEEP
    The brain likes regularity. Try to shoot for at least 7-8 hours daily and around the same time. If you have the luxury of napping during the day and feel so inclined, go for it.

PERSONAL GOALS
    1) Set goals and stick to achieving them, and once you master them, set more. Finding purpose is as easy as setting goals and making progress toward them. They don’t have to be big and lofty (but it’s OK if there are a couple of those in there, too). Start small, with easily achievable goals. I started with a to-do list for daily errands, and now find that I set goals to challenge myself in many ways because it makes life more of a fun game with rewards and payoffs. So, for instance, I set weekly goals for exercise, diet, writing and reading. Working on these goals and knowing that I need to put forth practice on them daily in order to achieve them gets me out of bed in the morning and gives me something to do. In other words, I have purpose. I find that my goals are now getting larger, and it’s more exciting. I’m actually going to try to write a book that I’ve had in mind for years. I’m scared of failure, but what the heck. I’m not going to tell anybody about it; it’s more of a personal goal.

2) Learn something new, no matter how cheesy, tacky, or silly others might think it is. Ever wanted to know how to square dance or bird watch or make music or cook something amazing? How about race a car or climb a mountain? Do something you’ve always been curious about and stick with it for at least two months. Learning stimulates dopamine and relates to goal setting, two things that alleviate depression. You just may find an activity or new form of study that makes you happy, and isn’t that better than feeling like crap about everything all of the time?

This is what has worked for me. Hopefully some of it can work for you, or at least inspire you to explore and discover what works for you.

:smile: Best of luck :smile:

As much sadness as there is in this world, there is as much happiness. Choose it consistently, and it chooses you. :wink:

Works for me, thanks!
  • captainsuperpants
    captainsuperpants Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    How about allowing yourself to grieve the loss?

We live in a society that is constantly telling us we need to feel good, and 'making' ourselves feel better.

All the suggestions on here- including your own- are fantastic.

But i would also recognise you've had a big loss, and it's ok to feel sad about that. I'm a counsellor and have worked with many people through grief. It's not a nice feeling, especially when you already struggle with depression. It can be hard to distinguish the difference.

Try to allow yourself to just feel what you're feeling. Talk to someone (a friend, family member and/or a professional counsellor), let it out, tell stories, write about it, cry, shout. But let that feeling happen, try not to block it. Some people like to go through rituals when they experience a loss too, saying goodbye.

Grief doesn't happen only when someone/something dies. We go through it for almost any loss.

In my profession, i consider it a privilege to go on that journey with someone, and see how empowered they feel when the worst of it is over, they recognise 'themselves' coming back, and they got through without medication (i'm not against meds, just don't think they're always necessary and should be more of a last resort or temporary measure rather). It's kind of magic actually. We are capable of so much!! So are you :)
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I don't really have a problem with depression. I tend to look at the bright side of things. As far as dealing with stress, which I have A LOT right now, unfortunately it kills my appetite. I just can't eat when I'm super stressed. It is good for making me motivated to workout. I like pushing as hard as I can and sweating it all out. Makes you forget your troubles for a while. Sometimes it just feels good to run like you're mad at the ground and pound the hell out of it.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Try to find non-medication answers to depression before you go running for the doc and the meds. The meds are expensive and the side effects of some of them are not worth it. I would go for meds only as a last resort.

For me, music, walking, and getting lost in a book usually help.. they take me away from reality for a little while.

^this, I took medication that worked very well. But when I forgot to take it one day, I thought I was going to doe. I was literally scared for my life, so I weened myself off. Books, music, any activity, and forcing myself to be surrounded by people who love and support me, even when I just want to run and hide.
  • PAIRDIZE
    PAIRDIZE Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I TRULY UNDERSTAND....READING THE BIBLE HELPS ME TO GET THROUGH MY DAYS AND NIGHTS....ITS HARD BUT WE HAVE TO PUSH ON AND SUROUND YOUR SELVES AROUND GOD FEARING PEOPLE AND POSITIVE PEOPLE AS WELL.... GODBLESS YOU ALL!! REMEMBER JESUS LOVES US ALL NO MATTER WHAT WE GO THROUGH ITS NOT OUR FIGHT!!! GIVE YOUR STRESS TO GOD!! LET GO AND LET GOD AMEN!!! IF YOU EVER NEED ME I AM HERE.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Prozac.

Yes, the depression is often caused by some kind of chemical imbalance in the brain--also situation depression can exaccerbate the chemical problems. Medication does work. It works best with a combination of medication and therapy with a good therapist. Therapist can suggest medication and then you go to a psychiatrist (one that can proscribe meds) and talk to him about what the therapist and you think. Mostly, the depression is really helped with wellbutrin or prozac, there's other types too. i advise you to avoid effexor. It's good but highly addictauive in the sense that you have bad withdrawal if you miss even one dose. Plus it's expensive.
    For weight loss try Phentermine. You need a prescription and have to be umder a drs. care, but if you're a good candidate for it you WILL lose weight--plus for a few days when you start taking it, you feel GREAT, lots of energy.

effexor is what I was on. Not trying to get off topic. But I wish either my DR would have told me or I would have done better research. It was horrible to get off of.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Bumping so I can print this off for a special someone later on.
  • BuffERRN
    BuffERRN Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I drink... Lots!!!
  • GingerG1218
    Options
    Christchick7 has a great answer! And there's a reason the Chocolate works --- it helps in grounding your energy and it only works when taken in small bits. Good for you - it sounds like you have good go-to habits surrounding your condition and that's really what it's all about.
  • EmGetsFit
    EmGetsFit Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry about your kitty. Losing a pet is devastating. As is depression. For me: I try to deal with it by taking a walk, doing something creative/arts&crafts, bubble bath, reading a funny light-hearted book, physical activity (good when angry too, to have emotional outlet), counting things I'm grateful for, or just curling up in bed and crying if that's what I need. If you haven't, I'd suggest seeing a counselor--some towns/states have free services or check with your local college, clergy, etc. I hope things look up for you.
  • gazz777au
    gazz777au Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    It has been a struggle, so, in part this is a *bump* for reading this thread later.

That said ....

I have heard about Endorphin release - may be why some people resort to painful things as Endorphins are natural bodily pain-killers.

I found having a HOT!! bath does help, but have also found a way to "think" the release (Paul McKenna speaks of this).

I have done stretching from time-to-time as well.

Sometimes I will look all over youtube for some funny videos which helps.

All of these are temporary 'fixes' .... my battle has been the mood roller-coaster and the last few months I managed to keep the negative self-talk to a minimum by attempting to ignore it. That seemed to work ok until I came to a disheartening place.

My ramblings.
  • leejayem
    leejayem Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I feel this pain. Depression is a foul epidemic that is plaguing our world more & more. My beautiful big brother died from it 20 years ago & so many members of my family have it. I have tried pretty much everything to get on top of it, including Vitamin B, Lethicin & chemical meds & truthfully the best resolution I have found is prayer & knowing your purpose. As a 19 year old I shouted out to God (wasn't even convinced He was real at that point) & begged Him to let me know He was actually there. I had a profound experience, very hard to describe really, & in that moment I knew He was - He just is!! My life is still tough going at times, mainly because my head is not wired so well, but I cling to the fact that one day all the suffering will be over, the blackness that makes just getting out of bed a huge task will be taken away forever - from all of us. One helpful remedy is adopting an attitude of gratefulness - thanking God, or whoever you like, for all the good things you have. One day you may struggle to come up with one but soon enough you find there are soooooooooooooooooooo many!!! And it helps your serotonin to get it's act together I find!! In the end we need to ask for help & to support each other, be a great friend to others. After losing my brother I am so determined to help others in the fight against this horrid illness. It's one day at a time so we don't get overwhelmed. Bless you all xx
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    +1 cardio & sun :)

****Getting up and moving within the first 5 minutes of waking****

Going for a walk in a natural setting

Talking to a friend

Watching a really well-made film (or, listening to music I consider to be good) - schlock just further depresses me.

Reducing exposure to schlock :)

Cutting down on internet time and doing real things

Books I go to: Staying Alive: Real Poems for Unreal Times (poetry anthology); Marcus Aurelius' Meditations; Viktor Frankl's Man's Search for Meaning. If I can't bring myself to even read properly, I'll dig around for inspirational quotes :)

Thinking about cool things in nature (kidneys, wtf, awesome; jellyfish, so neat), and how unlikely it is that I should even be here, and deciding that it's a waste of awesomeness not to try to enjoy that fact

Remembering that I am able to change things, that every day is new. Thinking of possibility, instead of the past

Watching stand-up comedy - live, if I can

Cooking, baking - the repetitive, rhythmic movements are soothing, the colours of foods are pretty, the end result is gratifying in an immediate way. I think anything simple & productive like that - knitting, carpentry (simple for those with the skill I mean) etc - is grounding & good

Hugs
  • Jongfaith
    Options
    I am with ya!

Been on and off meds since college... Spent some time on the psyc ward blah blah. When I feel good about my world I wean myself off my meds and do well for awhile.

I find that keeping busy around my house, working out, hanging with my friends and my art helps. Then taking time to feel everthing I need to feel in the evenings, because sometimes I push my emotions away and make myself numb but giving myself some time to feel in the evening seems to help me. Then if I get really upset and or depressed I will do some meditation to help myself rest.

Two years off meds but I know it could be around the corner. Seems to be better when I truelly put myself first and not take care of others first.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    dealing with this myself at the moment, so likely not much help...:glasses: :ohwell:

:heart:
    Grieving over a sick kitty makes it even tougher for you, I'm so sorry your kitty is missing. :cry: Amazing how animals fill that spot in our heart...

You take care!:flowerforyou:
  • ines25
    ines25 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Well I'm not a med person but I make sure I drink relaxing teas and at night sleeping tea and a melatonin those things are great to fight depression a nice long walk, classic music in a dark room help me too
  • justmyalias
    justmyalias Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    sam-e

awhile ago - but i could really tell the difference
    without feeling medicated
  • victorious27
    victorious27 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Pretty much anything that keeps me busy and from thinking. If I don't have time to think, how in the world could I have time to be depressed, right?

(I also refuse to spend too much time online for this reason -- it doesn't keep me occupied long enough)
  • gogzhad
    gogzhad Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi somemansdream,

I'm sorry you're experiencing depression - it's a challenge that affects a lot of people at some point (or points) in their lives.

I'd say what you're doing (reaching out for support) is a great thing to do, and don't stop here - reach out to friends and family, too. I think you'll be surprised at how many people will respond, and how many have experienced it themselves.

Talk to your Doctor, and consider talking to a counselor as well. Sometimes it can take a few different approaches to recover from depression, and the path may include medication and some sort of therapy.

Stay active - physical activity is a great natural anti-depressant, and can help you accelerate your recovery. When you're depressed, it can be hard to get out and do things, but it's more important than ever.

Stay connected and find things to do that have you around people. Isolation worsens depression. If you might be reading at home, go to a coffee shop or bookstore instead. If you sometimes work from home, perhaps go to the office instead. Seek out opportunities to make new connections.

Don't self-medicate - drugs and alcohol both cause and worsen depression, and they will delay or prevent recovery. It may feel like it deadens the pain at that particular moment, but it puts you in a deeper and deeper hole.

Have hope. Know that you're not alone. Depression does usually lessen over time, but seeking and accepting help will speed you on the road to recovery.