Cancer Survivor

Options
Hello everyone! I am new to MFP and was curious if I could find some "friends" on here that were dealing with cancer. I will be having my 4th round of treatments in March. I want to do the best I can for my body and be my physical best.....but, also am concerned about dieting while going through treatments. Any suggestions?

Replies

• Adele
    Adele Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I am not in your situation, but wanted to say hi - this is a great site and I am sure you will find the support you need here!!

Adele :smile:
  • jlvgriffin
    jlvgriffin Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm a Physical therapist who works with a lot of cancer patients. Although I know it is important to eat extremely healthy, most of my patients have more difficulty keeping weight ON once treatments start. There have been studies in which people with a little more weight and patients that have not lost weight during treatment tend to do better. Use this site to make sure you are eating healthy, but also that you are eating ENOUGH calories, especially once treatment starts. From my patients...I have heard that the nutritional supplements (Boost, Ensure) don't taste all that great. Glucerna is a little better (and less sugar because it is for diabetics), but most like Carnation Instant Breakfast the best. Good luck and my prayers are with you.
  • bjcalling
    Options
    Thanks for your comments. I guess that maybe this is one time I should be glad I have a few extra pounds to carry around?? MFPsays I should have 1200 cal per day. I'm gonna be "flexible" about this and use it as a guide. I have lost 6 pounds - but am feeling good. Treatments start again on March 4. I'm fortunate in that the chemo treatment that I get (Rituxan) makes me tired.....but, no nauseated- or at least - not thus far. I'll keep you posted and thanks for the prayers.

I CAN DO ALL THINGS THROUGH CHRIST WHO GIVES ME STRENGTH Phil 4:13:heart: :heart: