How long does a pie stay good?

Options
I found a really good recipe online this week for a low-carb, sugar-free pumpkin pie. I LOVE pumpkin pie. As far as I am concerned, Thanksgiving was created for pumpkin pie. The idea of getting through Thanksgiving without was making me really sad. Anyway, in case it was awful, I made one this week. Well, now I am trying hard to eat only one piece a day, which means the pie will last for 8 days. Anyone know if it'll still be good after that many days?

Replies

• sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    I've never had a pie last that long.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options

Lol

My mom would make a few pies for Thanksgiving. They'd last about a week wrapped in the fridge.
  • LittleMissDover
    LittleMissDover Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Sugar acts as a preservative so I'd think maybe the sugar free one won't last as long? Can you freeze it maybe?
  • cindl24
    cindl24 Posts: 178
    Options
    @sjohnny - That made me laugh. My problem has always been under eating and what stuff I did eat was terrible. Now I am making myself eat more per day (5 times a day instead of once) and healthy choices.

My freezer is already cram-packed with fruits for smoothies and meats. Maybe I'll take it to work tomorrow and try to share it. Thanks for the advice everyone!:happy:
  • Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    Options
    Put it in a ziplock and in the crisper and it would most likely last. If you notice it starts to dry out, toss it.

Edited to say I used to make these for my father in law (a "diabetic" version of sweet potato pie from scratch which is basically the same thing) and he did this very thing and would eat one piece a day. :smile:
  • paintlisapurple
    paintlisapurple Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't let one sit for longer than a few days (maybe 3-4 at the most). You can always share and I'm sure someone would appreciate it! :wink:
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options

Same here. I have 3 teenage men. There is no pie for later.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    Put it in a ziplock and in the crisper and it would most likely last. If you notice it starts to dry out, toss it.

Edited to say I used to make these for my father in law (a "diabetic" version of sweet potato pie from scratch which is basically the same thing) and he did this very thing and would eat one piece a day. :smile:

This sounds good.
  • TArnold2012
    TArnold2012 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Slice it up, wrap it up, and freeze the pieces. Take out and thaw when you want a piece
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Sugar acts as a preservative so I'd think maybe the sugar free one won't last as long? Can you freeze it maybe?

This is my suggestion also. Freeze it in your portion sizes and then each night take a slice out and set it in the fridge.
  • cindl24
    cindl24 Posts: 178
    Options

This is my suggestion also. Freeze it in your portion sizes and then each night take a slice out and set it in the fridge.

Love this idea! Now...to find room in the freezer. Hmmm...... :tongue:
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    I like pie.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    now i want pie
  • FitnessPalWorks
    FitnessPalWorks Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    It lasts as long as there is more pie for my fork to stick in my mouth hole.
    That's how long pie stays good....
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I don't care for pie. The crust is merely a vehicle for the filling. Pumpkin pie is the WORST.

Having said that, it will probably be okay in the crisper, as another poster suggested.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Does anyone remember the commercial... "How many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop?"

Same thing here.
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Slice it up, wrap it up, and freeze the pieces. Take out and thaw when you want a piece

This is my answer as well
  • erinkeely4
    erinkeely4 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Should be fine in the fridge!
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    Prepared food is good for one week if kept at the proper temperature, below 40 degrees.

Having said that, the crust will suffer once it's chilled, but it will still be safe to eat.

ETA: Also, it is not recommended to freeze and thaw custard pies. The filling can become watery and the crust will get soggy.
  • Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    Options

Same here. I have 3 teenage men. There is no pie for later.

I have one teenage daughter who weighs 102 pounds and i would bet money she could out eat your three teenage sons. Sometimes, i pretend she explodes with my death-rays that shoot out of my eyes as she shoves food in her pie hole. LOL ;)

yes, i am kidding. or am i?