Brown rice, wild rice, quinoa advice

Options
I've been on a no-grain diet (started with Atkins and then Paleo starting in January) for almost 2 years and recently have decided to try to start incorporating healthy grains into my diet. I think I'm going to leave most pasta out as it seems to be a lot of cals for not a lot of food... Anyway, I'm debating on whether to get brown rice or wild rice.. I have read that wild rice is a little healthier, has less calories, but is more expensive. Then there's quinoa, which is slow-burning but is very expensive..

It's been tough adjusting to adding that food group back that I've left out for 2 years.. it makes me realize how many calories I was eating were just carbs. 1 cup of cooked whole wheat spaghetti noodles is about 200 calories.. back in my fattest days I would probably eat 3 cups of noodles, and who knows just how much meatsauce, for example. :noway: Has anyone else done this switch, and if so, any tips?

Replies

• alaskaang
    alaskaang Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I eat mostly that way with the exception of rice, which I added back in after a couple months. I'm not really a fan of the texture of quinoa, but it's not bad mixed half n half with rice. From a purely taste and texture standpoint, wild rice is my favorite, and I think it's more satisfying.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    from what ii understand neither wild rice nor quinoa are grains
  • dietpepsi100
    dietpepsi100 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    not sure what area your in but costco sell a combination of the 3 and is not expensive
  • jnp96
    jnp96 Posts: 163
    Options
    Quinoa is not too expensive if you buy it in bulk. I have made some really good grain salads with it. It packs a really good protein punch.
  • MonkeeBob
    Options
    I like all three...so im not much help. It depends on what you are going to make with them I guess. I would buy a small amount (maybe from the bulk section) of each and try it out, see which one you like. Or maybe you like them all and you could rotate :)
  • risenonlytofall
    Options
    Rice (brown, white and wild) is a grain, but quinoa is actually a seed.

My advice is to always treat grains as side dishes rather than as the main course, and to carefully measure each serving. I usually use a serving of rice to make my leftovers stretch out another day since I think it incorporates well with almost anything.
  • swonn
    swonn Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Yes, quinoa is expensive but can be very versatile. I've made salads, side dishes, and even cabbage rolls with it. This is something you'd be better off buying in bulk and not at the local grocer's.
  • eidc
    eidc Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Quinoa is a great source of protein. I even have it for breakfast instead of oatmeal. You can get it for a reasonable price at Costco.
    1/2 c 110 calories.
  • soonerman4life
    soonerman4life Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Don't neglect complex carbohydrates, they're instrumental in protein synthesis. Carbohydrates also have a sparing effect. Without sufficient carbohydrate, the body will use protein for fuel, thus breaking down muscle tissue. Of course, I'm assuming that your goal is to lose fat and not weight. Carbs don't make you fat, excess calories over your TDEE makes you fat. Additionally, high fiber foods tend to be less energy dense = fewer calories for the same volume of food. Fiber also slows down the speed of carbohydrates being converted in to blood sugar. You need a good mix of protein, carbohydrate, fat, and fiber letting your macro nutrient totals drive your calorie intake.
  • rebasporty
    rebasporty Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I eat a 1/2 cup of brown rice with 4 oz of chicken breast that I put over lettuce...very filling and satisfying.
  • Jackielyn17
    Options
    Quinoa is such a healthy complex CHO, you can do so much with it and it has essential amino-acids therefore also a protein source. Although considered more expensive than pasta, they sell a big bag of it at costco for like 10$ and lasts quite a while. I am currently living a gluten-free, sugar-free and dairy-free lifestyle, so price on health really isn't a question, I sacrifice elsewhere and make sure that my body gets the best I can afford. You should also be able to integrate basmati rice, whether its brown or white, long grain rice is accepted on my diet, so you should be good too.
  • violet976
    violet976 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I'm not a huge quinoa fan, but I like to have a widely varied natural diet so I try to mix it in other foods I enjoy. I find it hides nicely in chili. & also in mixes of other hot grain cereals.
  • Daveners
    Daveners Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I recently discovered a concern for unacceptable amounts of arsenic in rice. I understand there are accepted levels of different things in our food however I try to stay educated on such to make an educated choice if I want to eat it or feed it to other. I've read articles that say this is due to rice being planted in old cotton fields in the United States in the south where a lot of pesticides were used contaminating the soil with arsenic. After researching reading further articles I've quit eating rice and products with rice until more research is done. I'm told rice from Asia is safe to consume? Please don't take this as DON"T EAT RICE, research for yourself and make your own choice. I just wanted to share so you can educate yourself. I miss my rice but there are good substitutes out there.

Here is a resource;

http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm319827.htm
  • erinkeely4
    erinkeely4 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I love quinoa, and also brown and wild rice. I like to get a brown and wild rice mix.
  • erinkeely4
    erinkeely4 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    But I also only buy organic. It is expensive, but if you don't have your health, you don't really have anything.
  • candirose69
    Options
    At our house my husband doesnt like brown rice so we mix a bag (2kgs) of white, a bag of brown and a packet (which is much smaller) of wild together...gives a great texture to the food.

You could try just brown and wild rice mixed to gether :)