Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Do you use MFP's calculator?

2»

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,487 Member
    I use MFP's calculations. 1320 for me - I checked w/another calculator once and it was so much lower. Well under 1200, so I'll stick w/MFP.
  • mordant57
    mordant57 Posts: 58 Member
    I tried MFP about a year ago and was getting 1200. I stopped using it because I was always ravenous. Starving ALL THE TIME. I am back on the plan and at 1480 I'm seemingly doing pretty well.
  • dena789
    dena789 Posts: 165 Member
    I use the figures here on MFP. I am set at sedentary (which I am) and a loss of 1 pound per week. My calorie goal right now is 1420 but I use that as the maximum daily allowance BUT I also NEVER eat less than 1200 a day. I know me and my weight loss will slow or stop if I eat too few calories daily. I have recently started to do a bit of exercise either walking or on the Gazelle and I eat back most of my exercise calories. This is what works for me - your mileage may vary.....
  • Erienneb
    Erienneb Posts: 592 Member
    Mfp has me at 1680 to lose two pounds a week but when I had metabolism testing done it put me at 1916. So I set it for 1800 with a higher protein amount and its working great for me.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    1200 is the default minimum. You probably said you wanted to lose more than a pound a week...and that's the number that will usually appear. I said I wanted to lose less than that a week...so I have more calories every day, plus exercise calories. Workin' for me!

mine has me set at 1200 calories just to lose 0.6 pounds a week. i don't have a lot to lose though.
  • Aviva92
    MFPs numbers are only as good as the settings you give it. If you are within 40 lbs of goal and telling it to set you to lose 2 lbs per week then chances are you'll see 1200 calories, many of the folks set for 2lbs per week at 1200 calories could well see 1200 set at 1lb per week, 1200 is the minimum calorie goal that MFP will assign. It's up to YOU to choose more accurate numbers, like if you got it to 1200 and manually added 500 extra to get to where you want why not just lower your desired rate of loss to get additional calories? 2lbs per week is 1000 calories a day deficit, 1lb per week is 500 calories a day so that change alone should (assuming 2lbs per week put you at 1200 calories instead of being some number below that that got increased to 1200 as the minimum) give you your 1700 calories.

If you are too close to your goal, mfp will tell you that you can't lose 1 or 2 pounds a week on 1200 calories. It will reset your pounds per week goal to 0.6 or so like it did for me.
  • Aviva92
    I have in the past and it worked well for me - when I stuck to my cals.
    I've never had a calorie goal of 1200 per day and I'm not planning to start now - lost most of my weight eating 1500 - 1700 net (ie eating that amount plus exercise cals).

I agree with the pp who says that the numbers you are are only as good as the info you put in.
    If you say you are sedentary (which many people are not) and want to lose 2 pounds a week when that's not realistic for your body you will get defaulted to 1200. It's not the average (it can't be, MFP won't recommend anything less!) but lots of people (smaller women especially) get that number because they ignore the recommended setting of "lose 1 pound per week" and are looking for a quick fix.

smaller women will get that number for any goal over a half a pound per week. it has nothing to do with ignoring the recommendation. the recommendation number of 1 pound per week was said to be too high for me.
  • amnsetie
    amnsetie Posts: 666 Member
    Using MFPs. It's set to exclude the exercise until you log it.
    Other calculators have the exercise built in and that doesn't work with how I am using mfp
  • slshaw23
    slshaw23 Posts: 126 Member
    I said I wanted to lose two pds a week and it gave me 1320 cals a day
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    If you are too close to your goal, mfp will tell you that you can't lose 1 or 2 pounds a week on 1200 calories. It will reset your pounds per week goal to 0.6 or so like it did for me.

While it does "say" that your "Projected Weight Loss 0.9 lbs/ week" from your my home > goals page "resets" it doesn't change that you set your profile to lose 2lbs per week. It just shows you what the 1200 calories will do for you, so someone set to 2lbs per week with projected loss of 0.9 could change to 1lb per week desired loss and they'd still have 1200 calories as that's still more of a deficit than they have room for.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    To determine how many cals you are eating each day, do you use MFP's calculator based on the stats you put in or do you have another calc./site you choose to use?...
    I use the calculations in Helloitsdan's "In Place of a Roadmap". See the first post in this thread:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12