Gym people

Options
What do you pefer to go to the friend with a friend or family member? Or go alone and just do your thing?

I like to bring friends and family to the YMCA with me but I don't want to stray from my workout and sometimes if it's a person that I like a lot I find it hard to stay on track with my workout. Although, if it's zumba, I can totally do my thing and the other person doesn't effect me. Maybe, just a tiny bit because I am more self consious of my moves.

Last week, I brought this neighbor that I met and she stopped doing zumba half way and not sure if it was rude for me to keep on doing my thing. LOL

Today, I went to the Y and did my thing without my son or any friends and I like to have that kind of workout at least once a week. I am totally comfortable being on my own and it's more of my "me" time if I am alone. If I have a date set up with someone to meet them at the Y cause I get free passes it does motivate me and less likely not to go. But I really don't have a problem getting motivated to go.

I do like the gym setting of other people. They motivate me. If I am walking or swimming for example I think if they can do it. I can do it and I keep on even though I want to quit.

I like the moments in zumba when we all clap or stomp our feet at the same time. For me it's just cool that I am with it well enough to keep up with everyone else.

Replies

• 1917Ashley
    1917Ashley Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I prefer to go alone most of the time! But that's just me. Sometimes it is nice having someone there with you as a motivator!
  • SeahawkFan1
    Options
    i wish i could go with someone but i go alone. I prefer to put my ipod on than have someone talking to me during my workout but that's just me.
  • StrongerThanThor
    StrongerThanThor Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I prefer working out with a partner! We motivate each other to work out harder.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    my friends can't hang with me at the gym. i'd gladly workout with anyone who shares my love of intense workouts but that's just none of my friends.

that's pretty much why i started doing crossfit.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    alone, that way I can focus ,I get more done
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Prefer to go alone. No distractions, no jokes. Just me and the weights. Although it's nice to have someone spot you while you lift heavy weights, but the trainers can do that for you if they aren't busy, so no biggie.
  • tomwatso
    tomwatso Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    Go alone with an ipod. Don't talk to anyone much and just think about what you are doing.
    Lost 23 pounds that way.
  • koalahugs
    Options
    I prefer working out with a buddy, but if we have different goals for our workout that day, I don't mind doing my own thing and meeting up after the workout. It's great motivation and added reassurance, especially if you're weight training. I personally believe you should always have a spotter regardless of what workout you're doing and how much weight you're lifting. Never can be too safe!
  • maria_elaina
    maria_elaina Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I much prefer to go alone! I can just get on with my business without anything getting in the way.

My boyfriend LOVES when we train together but there's nothing I hate more! He takes FOREVER in his rest times and only ever does full body. /yawn.
  • dietpepsi100
    dietpepsi100 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    86 pounds down and most of the time I go to the gym alone. I am not one that likes to chat and workout! Just works best for me and gym time is me time.
  • missabeez
    missabeez Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I see benefits for it both ways. I have worked out with friends and it is really motivating to have people with me to push me harder.

Lately I have been working out on my own but going to all of the classes, so I am not sure if that really counts because it is a very social group of ladies :)

I am fine also working out at home. Just me and Ms. Jillian Michaels kicking me in the BUTT!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I love going with my friend. I feel bad because I've started working out harder and she's staying the same, so we may have to revamp our workouts. I just work out harder so I can eat more, but she works out for general health and doesn't keep track of calories.
  • Babygi6003
    Babygi6003 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I prefer to go alone, but I always take my mom with me. She just goes and does her own thing on the treadmill or whatever while I run or attempt weights.
  • mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses. Looks like the majority of people rather go alone. I did get into a Saturday routine going with my sister until she just got too busy. I still go on Saturday mornings and it's probably something I wouldn't have done on my own cause it's in the morning.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    When I'm lifting weights I like to be on my own. I like to be able to concentrate on form and feel strong and drown out the rest of the world! But for a class or going running or something, being with a friend is fun. If I feel tired I just remind myself that if they can keep going, I can too!
  • bethygirlie
    bethygirlie Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I like to go alone, it's like my therapy for the day. I take any negativity or anger I have and channel it into my workout. It helps me focus and stay on track. :)
  • lripson28
    lripson28 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    When I do cardio I like being by myself. But when I do strength, I like when my friend is with me. I'm more comfortable that way and don't feel like I'm being watched.
  • Poorgirls_Diet
    Poorgirls_Diet Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I go alone but I always use the person beside me as a bit of competition. Lately a few people has offered allot of help especially when I do weights. It took me two whole months to make my way over to that 'section' as I was petrified people would laugh but they were actually quite friendly and helped out and give great advice!
  • envy09
    envy09 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I like going alone. If I have someone there with me they throw me out of the "zone" so to speak. It can get really annoying.
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    For me, solo + music/TV is king! If I need competition, I can always shake up one of the voices in my head! :devil: LOL :laugh: