JUST CREATED - what I call Cauliflower Mash

Options
I am continuously trying to mix and match my new healthier foods and make new creations. :smile:

I made one tonight. --- 1 cup = 93 calories

I steamed a full head of cauliflower (about the size of an iceberg lettuce head)
I added 1 can of chicken broth (low sodium)
1 packet of Hidden Valley Ranch seasoning.
1 cup of seasoned bread crumbs.

I steamed the cauliflower, added the chicken broth and Ranch seasoning, used a cake mixer to really mash it up so it was very close to a mashed potato consistency. I added 1/2 a cup of the bread crumbs and mixed it up some more. Then I scooped it all into a corning ware and sprinkled the rest of the bread crumbs on top.
I baked it for 20 minutes on 375 F. Then 10 minutes on low broil to crisp it up.

It came our very good and one measured cup was only 93 calories! It could even be done with less bread crumbs, maybe 3/4 cup would be good. (next time)

It's a nice little alternative to having a side dish that isn't so fattening.

Replies

• NipponBound
    Options
    Sounds delish, I love cauliflower
  • lynnacuff
    Options
    tried cauliflour pizza today it was wonderful
  • Dwilliams306
    Options
    Sounds great, I am going to try it.
  • Flowers4Julia
    Flowers4Julia Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I love this! I've done mashed cauliflower without the bread crumbs as I need to stay gluten and wheat free...BUT I just bought a loaf of "almond" paleo bread and, I think I can process it to make the crumbs!! I'm seeing some butter on this too!

Again, thanks for posting!
  • danni_l
    danni_l Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    tried cauliflour pizza today it was wonderful

Cauliflower pizza is life changing!! yumyum!
  • castell5
    castell5 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    The bread crumbs helped to bind the chicken broth to the cauliflower so it wasn't "leaky" I had considered mixing in Lipton Onion Soup Mix instead of the ranch dressing powder.. that could be good too and skip the breadcrumbs.
  • olliekat3
    olliekat3 Posts: 1,773 Member
    Options
    sounds good !!!!

Lynn
  • nancycaregiver
    nancycaregiver Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I've heard for some time about people making mashed cauliflower in place of mashed potatoes. Now, I like cauliflower and I love mashed potatoes but I just can't imagine the cauliflower tasting anything like potatoes! Since I am doing low carb, potatoes are out completely. The ranch powder does sound very interesting, though! I guess if I don't go into it expecting them to taste Luke potatoes, I can enjoy them!
  • kimberliiw
    kimberliiw Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Mmm, that sounds pretty good. Our neighbors make a mash with cauliflower and carrots that's pretty tasty.
  • teresa_c
    Options
    yum that sounds good! I bet my kids would love it. I might make this for my husband who hates cauliflower and see if I can trick him :) am I devious or what?