Too much Protein?

Options
Has anyone ever heard that eating more than your "recommended" amount of protein is bad for you or that you'll gain weight instead of losing it? I'm habitually over mine. I'm getting around 80-85 grams a day. I workout everyday too but just wondering what everyone else's thoughts were on the subject.

Replies

• debnu1
    debnu1 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I have just been reading that the human body is physically unable to store protein as fat. Also the American diet is perpetually low on protein and Carb heavy. I have heard that you should have one gram of protein per lb of ideal body weight. That would put me at about 140 grams a day. Which seems extremely high! But I have heard and seen it in multiple sources.
  • kellygirl5538
    kellygirl5538 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Deb, thanks for that information, I was wondering the same............I'm going to increase my protein and decrease my sugar.
  • HeatherLane
    Options
    High protein is good as long as you're working out and doing weights. It helps build muscle..ie protein shakes...women dont get bulky so it will help lean you up, but make sure you stay within your calories for the day.
  • cwainwright78
    cwainwright78 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am always over too but I talked to my trainer and she said as long as Calories, Fat and Carbs are within my given limit then going over on protein is fine. It must be working because I am always over on protein and I am still losing.
  • spaul82478
    spaul82478 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I go over on protein all the time. Actually, I eat more and less carbs.. however, I don't eat fatty protein.... I eat lean chicken, lean hamburger and I do eat Peanut butter but only in reccomened amounts.. I found it helps my cravings if my protein and calcium are ate properly.. AND I LOVE JUNKFOOD..... it basically just depends on your body.. my body hates carbs..... hope this helps
  • spaul82478
    spaul82478 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I go over on protein all the time. Actually, I eat more and less carbs.. however, I don't eat fatty protein.... I eat lean chicken, lean hamburger and I do eat Peanut butter but only in reccomened amounts.. I found it helps my cravings if my protein and calcium are ate properly.. AND I LOVE JUNKFOOD..... it basically just depends on your body.. my body hates carbs..... hope this helps