Bike Help

Options
Hello cyclists!

I'm looking into planning a really big bike trip (from LA county to San Francisco) and I'm looking into getting another bicylce for the trip. My bike now, the velocipede, has been my faithful road companion for the last 11 years, but he's a heavy 21 speeder. I'm looking at a Scwinn women's road bike that I found on Craigslist and I really like it. I understand road bikes are pretty light weight and good for speed?

Okay, I guess all that rambling is just leading to this question, is a road bike a good call for a big trip like that. What style bike should I be investigating?

Replies

• AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    customerphoto.jpg
  • adkmountainguy
    adkmountainguy Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    It's really going to depend on the type of ride you're doing.

If it's a supported trip, ie; someone will be following you in a car with your post ride stuff, or at least meeting you at predetermined locations, sure, a nice light road bike will be fine. Just make sure you bring plenty of water and fuel for the ride.

If, on the other hand, you're planning on hauling all your gear on the bike, then you should probably consider a touring bike. These tend to be steel frames to provide a more supple ride and handle the extra baggage. They also typically use mountain bike gearing, again to accommodate the additional weight of fully loaded bags strapped on to the bike.
  • deniseblossoms
    deniseblossoms Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I wish I could help but I am far from an expert. I have a Schwinn Frontier FS that I've had since 2001. I use it for mostly for trails. Find a local bike shop and go in and talk to them, pick their brain so to speak...They would really be able to show you the advantages/disadvantages of the different types of bikes. I do like mine because it's a nice ride where ever I choose to ride. a bit more upright in the saddle.
  • afrouws
    afrouws Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hey There:

This may help. I rode, last year, from Vancouver BC to Mexico. I rode a aluminum frame Cannondale. The light weight bikes like the carbon fiber bikes are nice. But if you're going "self contained" you will need something that can take the weight of your panniers and gear. I don't know how fast you ride. But I rode about 60-80 miles per day. Trek makes a good touring bike, so does Surly. Components, like your gearing and brakes are, in my opinion, more important. Los Angles to San Francisco is not really hilly. But brakes are life saving. And, your gears are essential.

Have a ball and enjoy the ride. long rides are awesome!
  • Michaelsdin
    Options
    customerphoto.jpg

I agree
  • bradwsimmons74
    Options
    One could do the trip on a unicycle, but I assume you would like to carry at least some snacks. If so, any bike with mounts on the frame for fenders and panniers is already heading in that direction. Triples (three chainrings) give the best climbing options when loaded down. Aluminum frames offer the stiffness and lightweight necessary for a long trip. Steel frames are bombproof but heavy and carbon or carbon/aluminum frames may not be able to handle added baggage weight. Wheels and tires should be no less than 700 x 25-30c with tread and puncture resistant tubes. Battery operated lights all around and a vest decrease your chances of becoming roadkill. Snug fitting, weatherproof bike apparel are helpfull and the helmet is a must. Specialized Tricross, Redline, Surly (mentioned earlier) and Trek touring bikes are good places to start.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    What is your budget and how much luggage will you have to carry?

Unless you have vehicle support you are probably better off looking at a "tourer" or "audax" bike than a "commuter" or "race / road bike." Surly Long Haul Trucker with disc brakes would make a great choice

If you've been riding for a while I don't think you will need a triple chainset unless your terrain is ridiculously hilly. A compact chainset with something like an 11-32 cassette at the back will be more than enough.

Best of luck!
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    I did this ride a few years back. First you need at least 2 water bottles. Secondly there are motels and stores all along the route. Plan meticulously and all you really need are as fast and light a bike as you can afford, a credit card and a hundred dollars in cash. You will get flat tires, plan for it. Know how to do tube replacement. You have to detour around Vandenburg, no bikes allowed. The ride into Lompoc is great. 11 miles down hill. The ride out is not so great. 11 miles up hill. Ride each day until you can ride at least 50 miles a day up and down hills. Yes there are hills. If you would like more info give me a shout. Also there is a book that was a great help. Google it.