BMI-Is anyone maintaining "Overweight"?

Options
2»

Replies

• n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    Overweight? hell, I'm "obese" in my profile picture...
  • craft338
    craft338 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    i'm 5'6" and about 180....and I'm comfortable here =) I think the lowest I would go would be 170, maybe 165, but that's still overweight for my hight. "Technically" I'm supposed to lose another 30...but I'm not sure if I need to go that low.
  • capnwo85
    capnwo85 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Every NFL Runningback.
  • DonnaLeeCattes
    DonnaLeeCattes Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I was 196 in June, I'm down to 143 now, which is 2 lbs still over weight according to the BMI thing...
  • tequila09
    tequila09 Posts: 764 Member
    Options

Just keep in mind that eating healthy is not necessarily the same thing as not eating too much.... You can still eat way too much of healthy things. Also, if you're "eating healthy and exercising and staying at the same weight" yet still overweight, I would consider that a plateau to get over, not the weight that is healthy for you.

BMI is only one side of the story but it's also important to keep in mind your body fat %. If you're fine with the amount of fat on your body, no problem, but it's definitely good to be at least aware. If the % is a relatively high number, there definitely is weight (=fat) to lose to be healthy, I don't think you should just accept it and randomly give up at some point just because it's the comfortable thing to do.

this!!!
  • SafioraLinnea
    SafioraLinnea Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    Maybe someday I will see 'normal/healthy' for my BMI, but I really don't mind if I don't get there. I'm happy with being defined as overweight, particularly considering what I've already done so far!
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    Yes, I'm 5'5 and have been 135-140 in a size 7 or 8. I actually prefer to be a 10 or 12. I don't want to go that low again, even though it's in the healthy BMI range. I have fitness goals in terms of completing exercise programs and running, vital signs, etc. but I don't care if I'm a 25 BMI or under.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    I'm still in the obese range, but I'm thinking about maintaining when I get to the overweight range.

This is partly because I looked at my future maintenance calories to see what I thought I could manage to stick with. At my old, "healthy" weight, I'd have to stick to 1400 calories for life to maintain. If I decided to maintain in the overweight range, I could eat 1600 calories. There's quite a difference to me.
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    When I get to the weight I want to maintain I can almost guarantee it'll be "overweight". I'm very much okay with that.
  • jesswait
    jesswait Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I am not yet, but I plan to. According to the BMI scale 159 would be healthy for me, but I was a lot more comfortable at 180. I think when I get back to 180 I might get a 'Bod Pod' test to see rather or not I should stop there. If my bf% is still higher than healthy I would like to at least stay at the 'top' of the healthy weight range. I just personally felt like I looked better a little heavier.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I'm 2lbs away from what I've always regarded as my ideal weight and will maintain weight there and concentrate on reducing body fat percentage. I will still just be in the BMI overweight range but having relatively short arms and legs and a barrel chest, BMI is a bit unkind to me.
    I've been lighter than my target weight a long time ago but felt skinny and weak. (17lbs lighter)

Once I've maintained for a whle I'll have a good look in the mirror and at my stats and decide whether to lose another 7lbs or not. Conscious that it's harder to have the same muscle bulk in your fifties that you could have when younger.
  • Davelh1976
    Davelh1976 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I was morbid obese now overweight. I would like to loose about 30 more pounds. but i have been the same since september.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I think BMI is a load of rubbish to be honest, but when I reach the size I want to be I know my BMI will be around 24, but if I were happy at a BMI of say 26 I wouldn't be bothered.

I am 167lbs at the moment which, at 5'6", makes my BMI a tiny bit under 27. My goal is to be a UK size 10/12, so a US 8/10, and I am probably 10lbs or so off that, but I won't know until I get there! I've got a whole pile of old clothes that fit me when I was that size before, and I weighed 147lbs when I wore them. I think i'll be wearing them at around 155lbs this time.
  • John2347
    John2347 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    im in the overweight category... bmi doesnt mean a darn thing... go by body fat % and the way you feel/look in the mirror.... thats your best measurement
  • uk_ja
    uk_ja Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I was 320lb and got down to 24.4 bmi @ 175lb with about 20% BF but I looked very unhealthy. I've spent the past year weight training and running and now sit around 27.2 bmi @ 190-195lb with 13% BF