What do I make my sandwiches out of?

Options
Hi all, I am in my second week and wondering what everyone is using for wraps or sandwiches? I get embarassed when I am at the grocery store when I buy Weight Watchers bread. I'd rather not buy that one.

Any suggestions I'd appreciate.

Thanks.

Replies

• khoolette
    Options
    There is a 35 calorie bread...I believe it's called Healthy Life. We use that alot.
  • hateras
    hateras Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I use the OroWheat Sandwich Thins... it's 100 calories for both pieces (one bun).. comes in multi grain, honey wheat and regular weat.... They are round and have a pretty decent taste, considering I don't really care for wheat bread....

Other than that I have used Walmart's Great Value white bread which is 140 calories for 2 slices
  • kleeba
    kleeba Posts: 11
    Options
    I like to use Mission Carb Balance Plus wraps and put a couple of slices of turkey, couple of ham and a little mustard.
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    Lately I've been using Arnold (same as orowheat) 12 grain bread and double protein bread which I believe are 100 and 110 calories per slice. They've been 50% off at the store so they keep coming home with me. It's not so much about how many calories the bread has, it's about the *quality* of those calories.
  • CharityD
    CharityD Posts: 193
    Options
    I love the Flat Out light wraps. You can even get away with using half of one.
  • junipuni
    junipuni Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I second the orowheat sandwich thins. I thought I would have to just deal with them but I actually find them rather tasty. I like the whole wheat ones.

ETA: I use them when we make hamburgers too and think they are great!
  • spaul82478
    spaul82478 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I LOVE FLAT OUT LIGHT BREAD.... i use that with turkey or chicken from the deli and Mexicali dip also from the deli... all for under 200 cals... if I am out of flat bread I use 35 calorie per piece whole grain aunt millies bread.... LIGHT of course..with the same stuff.. ITS SO GOOD and healthy too... :) ( using flatbread is 195 using aunt milies is 165 cals... )
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I don't eat many sandwiches anymore. It makes me sad.

On Saturday we went to Subways, and it might have well have been a fancy steak house to me! That's how much I miss sandwiches. What I miss the most is PUMPERKNICKLE!

"Why don't you eat it, then?" you ask. My answer: SODIUM. Sodium equals water retention. I don't want to work harder than I already do!

Anyway, when I do eat bread, it's usually Oroweat or Earthgrain. We had some turkey burgers on them last week that were yummy! I've also been known to enjoy a Smuckers Uncrustable as a snack from time to time.
  • kelley1006
    kelley1006 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I like to use Sara Lee healthsmart wheat bread it is 45 calories a slice and it tastes great. Low carb mission tortillas are good also.
  • katielouhoo
    katielouhoo Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    sara lee makes a 45 calorie/ slice bread. low calorie bread can taste light- not enough bread, just air; so, i find if i toast the bread first it has a little more substance.

i also use the flat out wraps 90 calories/ wrap. (the one with flax is more calories) :tongue:

for breakfast, i used to enjoy bagels once in a while (and low calorie toast is not always as satisfying). but i have found i like orowheat's double fiber english muffins. 110 calories/ whole muffin, more chew, more satisfying.:love:

and we use the orowheat sandwich thins the few times that we've done some kind of burger thing.

meanwhile, don't worry what folks are thinking. :embarassed: the ones who would judge all the low calorie, fat free whatever in your cart; are the same ones who would look at chips, cookies, fried chicken, & ice cream, and make rude comments about those choices. you aren't shopping for them, this is about you. they can make all the snarky comments they want, you are making huge positive changes in your life (that include new shopping habits).

good luck :flowerforyou: -katie
  • mromnek
    mromnek Posts: 325
    Options
    I have been using a tortilla. Just recently, I got some Lavash bread and started using that. The lavash is 50 cals per serving, but each lavash is 2 servings.

I put mustard on, then 6 slices of chicken breast meat, a slice of cheese halved, some shredded lettuce, and some tomato. Makes a great meal, with less than 200 calories.
  • ktidman
    ktidman Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I buy the fiber one brand bread a lot.... it tastes good and it is reasonably low calorie. Also if you are looking for wraps La Tortilla company makes really good wraps which come in 100 cal, low carb, and whole wheat. Hope this helped :)
  • BigdaddyJ
    Options
    Pita is the way for me!
  • sara_f
    sara_f Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    The Oroweat sandwich thins are my fav and when they are on sale I buy several and freeze them, they are just as good after thawing them out. I like to use a little spicy mayo for a different flavor and also sometimes some blue cheese (light house lite) and a little bit of feta. I think chaging the flavor a bit helps not to get bored of the same boring sandwich!! :)
  • debmac63
    debmac63 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I use the Arnold Sandwich Thins 100 calories for 1 roll (top & bottom). Sometimes I toast it and put jam on it or whatever else you want to put on it. I don't think they taste bad at all.
  • MirandaJayne
    MirandaJayne Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Why are you embarassed to buy weight watchers bread? Sometimes I buy the weight watchers wraps simply because their nutirional values are better than the other options. And really I am sure the cashier doesn't even realize what it is she is scaning through unless its produce that she has to type a code in for.

I say if you are readin the nutritional values and the weight watchers bread is the best, then buy it. Your health should be your #1 priority and sometimes we have to put ourselves out there and make bigger efforts to stay healthy. Don't be embarassed to be taking care of your health.
  • MirandaJayne
    MirandaJayne Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Why are you embarassed to buy weight watchers bread? Sometimes I buy the weight watchers wraps simply because their nutirional values are better than the other options. And really I am sure the cashier doesn't even realize what it is she is scaning through unless its produce that she has to type a code in for.

I say if you are readin the nutritional values and the weight watchers bread is the best, then buy it. Your health should be your #1 priority and sometimes we have to put ourselves out there and make bigger efforts to stay healthy. Don't be embarassed to be taking care of your health.
  • mamaturner
    mamaturner Posts: 2,533 Member
    Options
    I just bought the Arnold's Select Sandwich Thins (the honey oat kind) and that's 100 calories for the bun! It was VERY tasty, and b/c there's less bread, you need less condiments for it. Otherwise, Lefse potato bread is very good, for a whole sheet its 100 calories, again it's thin so you need less condiment (it's more like a rectangular wrap) I really like them in the morning with very little butter sprinkled with cinnamon and sugar!
  • mhagoaliemom
    Options
    meanwhile, don't worry what folks are thinking. :embarassed: the ones who would judge all the low calorie, fat free whatever in your cart; are the same ones who would look at chips, cookies, fried chicken, & ice cream, and make rude comments about those choices. you aren't shopping for them, this is about you. they can make all the snarky comments they want, you are making huge positive changes in your life (that include new shopping habits).

good luck :flowerforyou: -katie
    [/quote]

WELL SAID KATIE!! :bigsmile:
  • chloenalexsmommy
    Options
    I have been using a tortilla. Just recently, I got some Lavash bread and started using that. The lavash is 50 cals per serving, but each lavash is 2 servings.

I put mustard on, then 6 slices of chicken breast meat, a slice of cheese halved, some shredded lettuce, and some tomato. Makes a great meal, with less than 200 calories.
    [/quote

I like the lavish bread. I also make a pizza out of it. I put veggies and a little bit of goat cheese on it. yum! ]