Gym vs. Treadmill

Options
2»

Replies

• Guerrillascribe
    Options
    Is there a YMCA in your area? That's, to my mind, worth the cost and much better than a gym.
  • envy09
    envy09 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Gym. Is there a squat rack coming with that treadmill? If not, don't bother.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    Join a gym....I can't change the shape of my body with a treadmill.

This!
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Gym or spend the money buying dumbbells, squat rack and an adjustable bench. If you want to do cardio, you can always run outside for free.
  • YogaLarva
    Options
    I would love to have my own treadmill, but I don't own a house. An important thought on a treadmill though - they suck a lot of juice, so you might see your electric bill skyrocket if you are using it a lot. And you'll have to pay to have it repaired if it gets broken. Especially if you are looking at a cheap one, it might cost you more than you think in the long run...
  • undeludedwish
    Options
    Thanks for all the awesome advice everyone. $500 is sale price for the treadmill, original being $1200.

My one thing is that when I put on weight during the winter I can get really depressed/embarassed about my body and that kind of mindset can keep me from going to the gym where I feel judged - all of which are in my head really but it still bothers me - so I thought maybe a treadmill would be a good investment for those days I can't bring myself to work out in public. That being said, I also volunteer at a yoga studio, so I can go there for public yoga classes anytime I want, for days I want to workout outside my home and want to meet new people, etc.

I do live on the 8th floor of an apt so its a tough call whether my downstairs neighbour might kill me if I were running on my treadmill (obviously not during the night or early morning)...
  • joybedford
    joybedford Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    For me treadmill I work 30 hours a week mainly nights and have 3 kids so going to the gym is very difficult. I found as I started to run outside more I didn't have time for the gym. We now have a home gym including free weights, a cross trainer, kettlebells, a rower and stability ball. We add to it as we can afford it and I use it 6 days a week. I also like it because the kids ( including their friends) see us working out so this to them is just something you do hopefully they will become active as they grow up. Lead by example as they say.