in search for a low calorie beer

Options

Replies

• T_R_A_V
    T_R_A_V Posts: 1,629 Member
    Options
    I wonder if switching back to old self of drinking vodka and diet pop is better? I don't know how I feel about drinking beer and taking shots. The mixing might create a nasty hangover. I like there are others out there thinking how they can cut calories throughout the week to splurge on the weekend!

I think I am going to try yuengling light or maybe budlight lime. I don't like the taste of regular beer like blue or coors or bud so I doubt I will like the light version. I think also there is a michalob ultra flavor beer that might be good that I'll have to try.

Yuengling light is awesome...but we cant get it here in Louisiana
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    You know what you can get in Lousiana....Abita!! YUM!
  • BamaRose0107
    Options
    I love Michelob ultra which is under 100 cals a beer but not sure exact calorie count. I like the taste as well!

I second this Ultra is my favorite!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • BamaRose0107
    Options
    Double post oops!
  • AliStar
    AliStar Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Beer is the number one reason I've put on extra pounds, but I love it!!! I try to save up extra calories each day, add them up, and "spend" them on beer for the week end. If you slam 3 MGD 64's in about 15 minutes you actually can get a good buzz ; )

The lowest cal drunk I've found and like is Vodka and soda. I like putting a flavored vodka with club soda because the soda has no calories (or nasty artificial sweetners) and the liquor's flavor is enough to make it a drink. But it's just getting the job done . . . Drinking beer is such a wonderful thing on its own.

Between the fruit breakfast, greens lunch, and plenty of good exercise today, I actually have more calories than my goal allows today. So, did I earn some beers for tonight or should I save the calories for a super smashed weekend?
  • T_R_A_V
    Options
    You know what you can get in Lousiana....Abita!! YUM!

Yeah I like Abita...but whats the cal content..I never looked
  • Meghan0129
    Meghan0129 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    I usually stick to Michelob Ultra

I have started drinking this Bud Select 55 calorie beer...cant decide if I like it just yet or not...the taste doesnt seem like regular beer
    Trav, funny finding you on this thread. :laugh:
    I too stick to Michelob Ultra. :wink:

you know if there is beer ...... trav will come
    ... I'm sayin' :laugh:
    I learned it from you. :wink:
  • T_R_A_V
    Options
    I learned it from you. :wink:

Its hypnotizing isnt it
  • brittvdub_09
    Options
    Blue Moon is so good. I feel your pain! Lol
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    I think it's like 110 for a bottle, so not so bad. If they ever have it on tap I always get it...or Magic Hat. Blue Moon is my old standby!
  • T_R_A_V
    Options
    Yeah i like blue moon but only on tap...in the bottle just doesnt cut it for me
  • T_R_A_V
    Options
    Cmon...more beer talk...my fav subject
  • Kristen81
    Kristen81 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Yeah! I need to know the best beer for me to drink on Sunday at the bar. They will have Abita on tap for us Saints fans but Im sure it has more calories than I want to consume. HMMM...maybe I'll just drink Vodka soda with a lime
  • EmilyStrick
    Options
    HMMM...maybe I'll just drink Vodka soda with a lime

that's what i drink! i love beer, but not enough i guess! just make sure they give you plain carbonated water and not tonic! i always feel like a priss when i'm not drinking beer and watching sports, but whatever.

p.s. - van gogh makes an espresso vodka (the clear one, NOT the double espresso) that actually has no caffeine, tastes like dessert and is 69 calories per ounce!!! so yummy! they just came out with a dutch caramel flavor, but i don't know the cal count on that yet.........
  • T_R_A_V
    Options
    So ive been trying to get myself into this 55 cal bud select...but cant nail down the taste too much
  • Kristen81
    Kristen81 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I love than Van Gogh Vodka....I'm just much more of a beer girl than I am a liquor girl. I'm doing extra work today so that I can have beer night with the boy. I already added 6 Michelob Ultra's, which I NEVER drink...but it's less than 600 calories.
    I just figure....with the bad food I'll be eating Sunday, I may as well stick to low cal liquors.
  • pinbotchick
    pinbotchick Posts: 3,904
    Options
    Cmon...more beer talk...my fav subject

If I'm gonna have a beer, it has to be a good one. I savored every sip of the 212 cal Sierra Nevada Celebration that I had a few nights ago. My husband used to a professional brewer - those were the days *sigh* but I suppose it's better for my health. I haven't had the nerve to try those low cal beers but the Bud Light Golden Wheat wasn't bad.
  • T_R_A_V
    Options
    yeah beer is the only thing that I cant cut out of my diet....I refuse too
  • SherryRH
    SherryRH Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    My husband is a beer snob and does not normally drink any light beer. If he does drink a light beer he goes for amstel light. He likes the taste and says it does not taste like a light beer. (I wouldn't know, I hate beer.) Not sure of the calorie count but if you are looking for a light beer with a better taste, this may be the way to go.
  • bukozki
    Options
    I posted this for another thread. I actually ride the head of the tiger. I shoot for quality of brew and high alcohol in lieu of low calories. More drunk on less drink usually means more drunk on less calories and also more drunk on less filling...
    Unlike food, I'd say front load your drinking, get drunk quicker if that's your goal and spare yourself the hours of session style drinking. I personally prefer higher ABV (Alcohol by volume) beers, they tend to fall into the craft brew category. They tend to be higher in calories, but they balance it out by being higher in alcohol, they also tend to be more sip-able and therefore less chug-able. So those give you a few options, drink quickly and get drunk quickly without filling yourself up, or sip slowly and get the same effect from potentially fewer calories.

A few head to head comparisons courtesy of MFP and BeerAdvocate.

Bud Light
    http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/29/1320/

Style: Adjunct Lager
    Rating: D-
    Serving Size: 12 Oz
    Calories 110
    ABV: 4.2%

Pabst Blue Ribbon
    http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/447/1331

Rating: C
    Calories 153
    ABV: 4.74%

And because you're Australian...

Foster's

Rating: C-
    Calories: 193
    ABV: 5%

Now let's make a mixed drink to compare...

Webtender.com provides these mixes...

Rum and Coke (4 Oz and 8 Oz) ((Optimistic pour at a bar, but you get the idea))
    We're using Captain Morgan (30% ABV), because he was practically begging...

So 4 Oz of Captain is 240 Calories, diluted with 8 Oz of Coke at 105 Calories, or Diet which adds 0 Calories but probably contains some sort of astringent, leaving you with a 12 Oz serving diluted to 10% ABV at 240-345 Calories. That's assuming you get a full 4 ounces of booze and 8 ounces of Coke in your glass. Bars tend to go heavy on the ice because it's cheap, but the good news is that ice is calorie free. You're probably looking at getting something closer to 2 Oz of Rum and 8 Oz of Coke (multiplied proportionately to fill 12 Oz glass for direct comparison) which comes out to a 270 or 144 (Diet) Calories for a drink weighing in at 6% alcohol.

So, optimistically you're getting a much better deal than your typical lager beers, and realistically you're getting a marginally better calorie to buzz ratio.

Now take a look at some higher ABV Beers...

Founder's Backwoods *kitten*
    http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1199/35036

Style: Scotch Ale/Wee Heavy
    Rating: A-
    Serving: 12 Oz
    Calories: 280
    ABV: 10.2%

Dogifish Head 90 Minute Indian Pale Ale

Style: Imperial Indian Pale Ale
    Rating: A
    Calories: 230
    ABV: 9%

La Fin Du Monde

Style: Belgian Triple
    Rating: A
    Calories: 225
    ABV: 9%

I think the math is clear. You pay in calories for higher alcohol, but if you choose your drinks wisely (and based on their ABV) you can get to where your going without wrecking your whole week.

Think of it this way

Dogfishhead 120 Minute IPA

Style: Imperial IPA
    Rating: B+
    Calories: 450
    ABV: Varies 18%-25% (Generally assumed to be 20%-21%)

You could drink 12 Oz of beer at 450 Calories and get the same amount of alcohol (assuming 20%): 5 Bud Lights (60 Oz, 550 Calories), about 4 PBRs or Foster's (48 Oz, 612, 772 Calories respectively), 2 well made Captain and Cokes (24 Oz, 480 (Diet) or 690 Calories), or just over 3 Captain and Cokes that you might expect from a bar (36 Oz, 433(diet) or 810 Calories).

Do some math and do it before you get wasted. My advice, get in there, get drunk, ride the wave and don't fill yourself up on terrible drinks. Make sure you're getting quality of taste and quality of impact.

And since TRAV asked, I tracked down the Abita brew calories.

The nutritional info comes from here: http://www.thedailyplate.com/nutrition-calories/food/abita
    And the rating and ABV info comes from Beeradvocate.com

Purple Haze (Abita) Serving Size: 12 oz; Calories: 145, Total Fat: 1.015g, Carbs: 1.052g, Protein: ?g
    ABV: 4.2%
    Rating: C+

Amber (Abita) Serving Size: 12 fl oz; Calories: 145 (128?), Total Fat: 1.01g, Carbs: 1.05g, Protein: 0g
    ABV: 4.5%
    Rating: B-

Turbodog Ale (Abita) Serving Size: 12 oz; Calories: 172, Total Fat: 0g, Carbs: 16g, Protein: ?g
    ABV: 5.6%
    Rating: B

Abita Light Beer (Abita) Serving Size: 12 oz; Calories: 119, Total Fat: 0g, Carbs: 8.2g, Protein: 0g
    ABV: 4.0%
    Rating: C

Jockamo Ipa (Abita) Serving Size: 12oz; Calories: 190, Total Fat: 0g, Carbs: 13g, Protein: 2g
    ABV: 6.5%
    This one is a personal go-to beer for me. It's a solid IPA.

Satsuma Harvest Wit (Abita) Serving Size: 12 oz; Calories: 155, Total Fat: 0g, Carbs: 11g, Protein: 2.4g
    ABV: 5.1%

Mardi Gras Bock (Abita) Serving Size: 12 ounces; Calories: 187, Total Fat: 0g, Carbs: 16g, Protein: ?g
    ABV: 6.5%

Abbey Ale (Abita) Serving Size: 12 oz; Calories: 230, Total Fat: 0g, Carbs: 18g, Protein: 3.3g
    ABV: 8%

Pecan Harvest Ale (Abita) Serving Size: 12 oz. bottle; Calories: 150, Total Fat: 0g, Carbs: 11g, Protein: 2.6g

Restoration Pale Ale (Abita) Serving Size: 1 Beer -- 12 oz.; Calories: 167, Total Fat: 0g, Carbs: 15g, Protein: 1.9g