Reducing My Calories to 1000

Options
I want to lose the weight a bit faster and I'm already exercising 7 days a week.
Wondering if it would be unhealthy to cut my calories to 1000 daily

Replies

• Alioops831
    Alioops831 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Um...yes it would be.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I want to lose the weight a bit faster and I'm already exercising 7 days a week.
    Wondering if it would be unhealthy to cut my calories to 1000 daily

Why do you have to lose faster?

You can lower cals to 1k, but it will likely give you little to no wiggle room to get in adequate protein and fats as well as your micros.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Be patient. Eating so little can do damage and slow your metabolism. Your body will compensate for the low intake and it will be difficult for you to return to a normal way of eating without gaining the weight back.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Yes it's unhealthy to do that. Also, say you lower your cals to 1000. Then in a few weeks or months you stall again. Are you going to go down more? I was stuck in this cycle for a long time and it's not something you can easily repair. It's taken me a year and 9 months to get back to where I can lose weight eating 1420.
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    yes it would be unhealthy. most people require more than that without working out. when you restrict your calories that much you won't just lose weight, but muscle as well. heart muscle. bone density.
  • Ash_ah_lee
    Ash_ah_lee Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    i been eating 1000 - 1050 calories a day it .. Go to zumba 5 times a week and also walk 4 miles on the weekend.. Feel free to add me.
  • Firephoenix013
    Options
    If you want to starve go right ahead. If you're working out, you should be burning off enough calories that you can easily eat 1500 calories if not 2000 and not have to worry too much. I've seen people put in 2000 plus calorie workouts. Don't push your body too hard. You didn't put that weight on in a day, it's not going to come off in a day, slow and steady wins the race, not fast and quick. Your body will adjust better if it comes off slowly, plus I've found since I've started, I don't have any saggy skin, etc, since I've been doing this at the pace I have been.
  • T1mH
    T1mH Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Talk to a doctor. You didn't gain it in a month your not going to lose it in a month.

Instead of trying to lower your calories do you have any room to improve the nutrition? More protein, less carbs, more whole foods, less processed foods. Everybody is always talking about calories is what counts but I think the quality/souce of calories make a difference.
  • Dee_84
    Dee_84 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Not only will eating only 1000 calories a day hurt your metabolism in the long run but it is also nearly impossible to get all necessary nutrients with so little food.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    lose faster but what happens when you're ready to maintain. have you given yourself enough time to learn healthy eating habits to last for the rest of your life?

this site is filled with people who lost weight fast, didnt learn anything and regained all the weight they lost and more.

so yeah, good luck with that
  • erinkeely4
    erinkeely4 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    It's unhealthy, and it will give you the opposite of what you want in the long run! Keep exercising, and keep your metabolism up by eating a minimum of 1200/day NET (eat your exercise cals back) on average. If you don't lose with this then see a doctor.
  • shammxo
    shammxo Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    Just don't do it....

I think because you ASKED, you know it's not a good idea.
  • victorious27
    victorious27 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    (begin rambling about my thoughts on "losing weight quickly")

I never understood why some people treat weight loss as a race..? Yeah, I want my weight to come off too, but if you lose it too quickly (and unhealthily) you tend to have a higher chance of having stretch marks/loose skin/etc. You can work your butt off, but the weights' only going to come off as fast as it wants -- and you're only spiraling down into a bad eating habit and either an ED or gaining all your weight back as soon as it's off.

You don't have to take your sweet time and only lose .5 lbs every 2 weeks, but you also shouldn't force it to come off too quickly.

(end rambling)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    You'll lose pounds, but not enough of those pounds will be from fat, so you'll be just as dissatisfied with your body as you are now when you reach your goal weight, then you'll think, "Maybe I should cut to 500 calories? Maybe I should lose another 15 pounds?"

Or you could accept and appreciate that anything worth doing is worth doing right... that takes time. There's no shortcuts.
  • jlkennedy88
    Options
    Check out calorie cycling as an alternative way to change up what you are eating to lose weight. I know it's tempting to drop to 1,000, but I wouldn't recommend it more than on an occasional day.
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    Please NO

1373070_o.gif
  • AngryCurseWords
    Options
    *Based on your total calories consumed for today, you are eating too few calories. Not only is it difficult to receive adequate nutrition at these calorie levels, but you could also be putting your body into starvation mode. Starvation mode lowers your metabolism and makes weight loss more difficult. We suggest increasing your calorie consumption to 1,200 calories per day minimum.

That comes up if you complete a food journal below 1,200 calories. I have a personal trainer family member who hammered it into my brain that I cannot go below 1,200 calories because it hurts instead of helping.

I suggest searching for ways to maximize fat loss and muscle gain so that the transformation looks optimal, instead of "starving" yourself. I suggest this because it is exactly what my personal trainer family member told me to do.

Edit to add:

I'd say check out some articles or studies about eating below 1,200 calories. There are reasons why most will tell you this is unhealthy.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    In before a certain person uses copy and paste to spew her wall of nonsense.
  • capnj1545
    Options
    If you drop below 1200 for women, your body starts to go into starvation mode and holds onto your fat. So although you may lose the pounds, you aren't losing the weight you want/need to. You may shoot for 1500 or so, but make sure you exercise to burn just a little bit more and keep that metabolism high! Good luck!
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    Please NO

1373070_o.gif

/endthread