Geek to Chic?

Options
Hey, All! I've been a lurker for quite some time. You're all such a big inspiration! I decided it's time to really commit and start interacting and contributing, too. :)

Last week after a dinner out at the Cheesecake Factory and two days of feeling yuck after that (I really do not recommend alfredo and cheesecake in the same meal), something clicked and I know I can get the weight off this time. I'm one of those "I'll start tomorrow!" dieters that makes it 2-3 days then relapses. I'm done with that! I've put on 20lbs over the past 3 years, and that's on top of already having been 10-15lbs over an ideal weight. I'll be turning 25 in just under two weeks, so my first promise to myself is to get out of the 160's for my birthday.

Anyway, besides all that, I work in IT, love all things geeky, and have big dreams about hiking and running marathons. Looking forward to contributing here and meeting people! :)

Also, if anyone would like a friend for cheering and support, add me! I'm going to try really hard to log in and post here and on my profile daily.

Replies

• bufger
    bufger Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I'm a geek too so feel free to add me!

I'm the only geek i know that also has a love for adventurous things and different sports. I'll happilly watch Sheldon (hero) on big bang theory and then go out and play basketball or paintball. Rock climbing is the next one on the list as my brother is now an instructor!

Geeks rule the world. Geeks with muscles scare the crap out of everybody :)
  • fryingpanofdoom
    fryingpanofdoom Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    HIgh-5! Sheldon is the best.

Actually most of my friends are that unusual combination of geeky and athletic/adventurous, so my desire to keep up with them on both fronts has been growing. Definitely not a bad thing!
  • mwalle09
    mwalle09 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Good luck! I'm in the same boat, 25 and wanting to lose weight!
  • Crookey21
    Crookey21 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    i think im more of a nerd than a geek. lol but i have always been semi-active. love playing sports.
  • kellehbeans
    kellehbeans Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me! I'm a geek, I'm a software developer and I love gaming and all other related bits! :)
  • serai93
    Options
    im new here too! i had my baby in june and its time to lose some weight!! i need a weight loss buddy!! im the type of person who needs constant reminder that im dieting or else ill sneak a cookie in LOL also i give in to temptation easily. but ive been doing the 30DS so hopefully...
  • 10goal13
    Options
    feel free to add me! and welcome :)
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    Hi welcome. There's a group for us geeks/nerds out there.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/3566-the-geek-squid
  • tiaflower
    Options
    Geeks and Nerds unite! :D I'm a huge nerd/geek too (actually as of now its 1:26 am and just got off pokemon black 2 T.T)
    I friended requested ya :D
    It'd be great to meet more fellow nerds/geeks out here ^.^
  • cici1028
    cici1028 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I'm an IT geek too... project manager. :) Good luck! You can definitely do this. Feel free to add me. Nerds rule!
  • xSakura
    xSakura Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I'm a graphic designer, music producer, and general 'gamer' ... I guess you could class me as a geek or a nerd haha :laugh: Feel free to add, I'm on everyday :smile:
  • mike76ne
    Options
    Good Luck!!! Feel free to add me. I am in the same boat where I need to get serious and not be another "Ill start tomorrow types"
  • fryingpanofdoom
    Options
    Thanks for the warm welcome! Glad to see so many other IT people here. XD I'm in web programming, myself, and love it.

Definitely joining that group!
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    I'm not so sure about geek, but I'm definitely some sort of nerd. Obsessed with Star Wars and Bruce Campbell. Even have a Yoda tattoo, and soooooooooon Boba :drinker:
  • peuglow
    peuglow Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    I'd consider myself more of a nerd. Grew up on Star Wars and Star Trek TNG.

I had a Bantha skull tattooed on the back of my neck after my first fight. :D
  • JordanWhibbs
    Options
    Hey guys feel free to add me! massive gaming geek (also a developer yawwwn!) and also a massive movie nut

(Currently sitting at work playing Minecraft lol)
  • fryingpanofdoom
    Options
    Sometimes I feel like my geek license should be revoked because I'm not a gamer. Haha. I do actually have an NDS Lite that I love, but it's harder to find motivation to play it than it is to go to the gym!