Suggestions for Muscle Pain Relief?

Options
Yesterday, I did something a little bit on the dumb side. I decided that I haven't been pushing myself enough so I was going to "punish" myself by completing as many push ups as I could. I ended up doing 450 of them. Mind you, I am extremely overweight, and the highest number I'd ever completed prior to yesterday was 150, and that was only at the coaxing of a fitness instructor, and after which I was in severe pain for a couple of days.

While I am astonished that I was able to complete so many, I am in pain today. I know that push ups are a full-body exercise, but truly everything hurts right now - stomach muscles, biceps, triceps, pectorals, shoulders, butt, calves (even my toes). Does anyone know if ibuprofen or aspirin will help with these aches, or is rest the only thing that's going to make a difference? I'm drinking lots of water and will make sure I get protein today, but I'm wondering if there's anything I should be trying.

Thanks in advance. :O)

Replies

• poeco76
    poeco76 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    OMG! I would love to hear the replies. Too many squats then a run on the treadmill…..not a good day.

Yikes! I feel your pain. I'm hoping someone has some helpful suggestions.
  • knightreader
    knightreader Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    i over did it yesterday too. hit a mountain bike trail that was clearly above my ability. sore all over. my advice would be to stretch, drink water and do some type of light exercise to get the acid moving in your system. i plan on walking to the grocery store and back, nothing major but it is something that will help.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Keep moving..... worst thing you can do is just lay around whimpering all day!

You've likely stored up a massive amoint of lactic in your upper body. A melllow upper body routine with lighter weights/less reps will help. If pain persists for many days or is sharp in nature, then you've picked up an injury and need to rest it. (Just do lunges/squats/running/etc until it heals) - don't use it as an excuse to veg out!
  • Ainar
    Ainar Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Take a warm bath and massage those muscles. That will increase the blood flow to muscles what will help to heal them faster. Doing some easy cardio or some easy weights will have the same effect. Move your muscles out a little, even if it hurts.
  • poeco76
    poeco76 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions! I definitely appreciate it. I have plans to still workout today (so, no whimpering here!), but I just wasn't sure if there was something specifically I could do to help alleviate some of the pain. I appreciate all of your thoughts - it's very helpful. :O)
  • Tricep_A_Tops
    Options
    I take vitamin C pills and rarely get sore.
  • DBiddle69
    DBiddle69 Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I did the Spartan Run this weekend and am in the same condition....everything hurts, I am finding more and more bruises, and my aches have pains...but it feels GREAT!!!
  • Laoch_Cailin
    Laoch_Cailin Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Keep it light today. Maybe just a walk followed by a nice warm bath. I joined a bootcamp not to long ago, the day after I was fine, but the day after that I could hardly sit to pee lol. So Hoping after a light day today you'll be fine :-)
  • azzkikin
    azzkikin Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I did that the other day with my legs and for the next 3 days look like I just got off a horse walking all bow legged and all. It hurt like hell. But 450 push ups. Holly Molly girl nice job.

But yes the best answer is to move it. Hope you recover quick.
  • Jkmumma
    Jkmumma Posts: 254
    Options
    Hot bath. LOTS of stretching throughout the day, massage, especially at what feels like knots, that's buildup of lactic acid. Keep moving, letting yourself get stiff is the worst thing you can do. Walk Stretch Massage Heat. Things that keeps blood flowing, and encourage that buildup to dissipate. Being still and whimpering in pain will make you stiff, and make it worse.

IF you have pain that's in the joints, as heavy peeps are prone to, which can be aggravated by high reps of anything, try some motrin to bring down the swelling, that'll help THAT. Motrin doesn't do anything for muscle pain after working out though, as it's not actually a pain killer, just an anti inflammatory drug, meaning all it does is reduce swelling. Any pain caused by swelling, and a good amount of it is, will be helped by the lack of swelling, Motrin has a market, because most pain is caused by swelling. Still doesn't work on muscle pain caused by a workout.

EDIT: somehow I read squats in where pushups should be, mostly because I'm still waking up... put in "things that move your arms" where walking is, though walking's good too.
  • JanaCanada
    JanaCanada Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    Advil and an epsom salt bath to detox.
  • KatieMae75
    KatieMae75 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Take it easy today, but move. Keeping still you'll get stiffer and stiffer. Drink plenty of water, Motrin, and a warm bath in Epsom salts if you have some. It'll probably be a few days before you feel better, but you can get some relief doing this stuff. Great job on the push ups, that's impressive!
  • pt85
    pt85 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Massage - Then do a few more push ups!
    Keep up the great work!
    Let me know when you can do 1000 :)
    (More, It's called - hair of the dog that bit you!)
  • Kara1031
    Kara1031 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Something I have recently added to my routine that is helping with my sore tight muscles is a foam roller. It really hurts so good. I initially purchased the small one because of the price and loved it so much and felt it was worth purchasing the larger one. I roll before every workout and additionally when I am feeling tight and sore. When I first started it hurt, but the more I use it the better it feels. I purchased the ones that have the spokes because when I do get a massage, I always get the deep tissue sport type massage because I do a lot of lifting and am always sore/tight. There are also smooth foam rollers, but I need the deep tissue work. Do some research to determine what roller will work best for you.
  • Rachelmilloy
    Rachelmilloy Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I'm no authority, but if you have access to a gym with a hot whirlpool, it seems to me that that would deliver a nice muscle massage. Hope you start feeling better soon!
  • Zomoniac
    Zomoniac Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Deep Heat. And ask your doctor for Naproxen.
  • fcp1234
    fcp1234 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    Wait......450 real push ups?
  • KatieMae75
    KatieMae75 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Deep Heat. And ask your doctor for Naproxen.

Naproxen is also available over the counter as Aleve.
  • eatrainsmile
    eatrainsmile Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Pop a pill like aspirin or ibuprofen. It works.
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Lots of stretching, massage, and HEAT - Preferably in a hottub...I say heat, because most people cant stand an Ice Bath...