My numbers say I am in starvation mode ~ but I am full HELP

Options
2»

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I guess I filled something out wrong. You all are telling me I only need to lose 20 pounds, I never even mentioned in my post what my weight loss number is. The class I entered last week did my numbers and said I needed to lose 50 pounds. The 1200 calories is what is on the top of the page when I sign in everyday.

With 50 pounds or less to lose, you are probably not doing yourself a favor with such a low calorie diet. As you get closer to goal weight, you are better off eating just under maintenance.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Okay, I just started last week. This was one day of mine. Herbalife shake for breakfast and lunch. snack was sundried tomato tunafish on 4 crackers. Dinner was a Flat out pizza with cheese onion ham and bacon. Plus 5 water bottles during the day. I was full. My numbers say I did not eat my 1200 calaries and that I am starving my body and will not be able to lose. Is that true? My weight has been at the same weight for years now. I just turned 40 and thought I should try to lose ome weight . I don't tend to. Ieat a lot just usually pick bad choices. Is there any one else out there that has this problem?

I guess I filled something out wrong. You all are telling me I only need to lose 20 pounds, I never even mentioned in my post what my weight loss number is. The class I entered last week did my numbers and said I needed to lose 50 pounds. The 1200 calories is what is on the top of the page when I sign in everyday. I was just asking for advice on how to add to my meals to get a higher number. I did not really need negative comments, just wanted helpful suggestions

You need to ask your doctor. It really all depends on your RMR. Everyone is different. I'm really short and I have a low RMR and have to eat far lower than even others my height (maybe because I am older). My DXA scan shows that I am not losing lean body mass and in fact I have higher LBM than others my size, yet MFP says I will weigh far less than do, and has been saying that for a year now and it's not true. It does not matter. Your body is the end game, not the online calorie counter. Check with your doctor if you are not sure.

1200 is such a stupid number to get stuck on. What you need to eat for a deficit is relative to your RMR. If you are short you really don't have much room for up compared to the 1200. If you are taller you will have a higher RMR and can go up or down and still be in a deficit (way above 1200) so you can lose no matter what. All that matters is a calorie deficit.

To tell everyone eat more is wrong.

To tell everyone to eat less is wrong.

To find the exact amount of calories for you to be in a sustainable calorie deficit is correct. Some people can handle a deeper calorie deficit than others. Some people have emotional eating disorders and it comes into play. Even a small deficit puts your body in a state of flux with hormones and such and everyone is different.

You just need to find the correct calories for YOU to be healthy and sustainable and still lose weight. It might require some experimentation and tremendous patience. You can always notch up and down by 100 until you find what is sustainable and still allows you to lose weight.

If you have emotional eating issues than you are not going to be able to handle such a deep deficit and if you eat to low it will backfire. A better strategy is to eat at a shallower deficit, and sometimes give yourself a break from the deficit and eat at maintenance. This is not going backwards, but eating to low and then binging because you can't sustain it is going backwards. It's better to stay forwards even if it is slower. The tortoise wins this race in the end.

The good thing is you don't have to worry about the starvation mode myth if you are fat. Only skinny people have to worry about starvation mode. It does not mean you have the capability to eat at a large calorie deficit if you have emotional eating disorders or other issues going on, but at least you don't have to be afraid of it anymore.

The Theory of Fat Availability:
    •There is a set amount of fat that can be released from a fat cell.
    •The more fat you have, the more fat can be used as a fuel when dieting.
    •The less fat you have, the less fat can be used as a fuel when dieting.
    •Towards the end of a transformation, when body fat is extremely low you
    may not have enough fat to handle a large caloric deficit anymore.

At the extreme low end, when your body fat cannot ‘keep up’ with the energy deficit
    you've imposed on your body, the energy MUST come from SOMEWHERE. This is
    when you are at risk of losing lean body mass during dieting (commonly referred to
    as ‘starvation mode’). This happens at extremely low levels of body fat, under 6% in
    men and 12% in women [Friedl K.E. J Appl Phsiol, 1994].

-Brad Pilon and John Barban (from The Reverse Taper Diet in The Adonis Index and Venus Index manuals)
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    open your diary

Diary synopsis is in the OP. :laugh:
  • TubbsMcGee
    TubbsMcGee Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    It's because you're trying to live on shakes. Do you plan to live on shakes for the rest of your life?

This.
    It would be much easier for you to just start a "lifestyle change" rather than a diet. Replace your junk foods with meals you've prepared yourself, so that you aren't throwing your money at large corporations to get the nutrition you could naturally get from what's already in your fridge and pantry.
    Are you also tracking your nutrition intake as well or just calories?
  • Superchas
    Superchas Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    You never get those messages when you do exercise even if your net calories are zero as mine used to be as long as you eat the 1200+ calories.
    you must be aware that it is far healthier to lose weight through exercise in any case.
    do some exercise and then your appetite may increase.
    i am permanently hungry these days but kept on the straight and narrow by never wanting to go back

good luck