swimming

Options
okee, I need a bit of advice here.

I go swimming 3 times a week, practising for 50-60 minutes each session (breaststroke and front crawl), covering more or less 1,25 km.
Is it ok to lose weight? How many calories do I lose per session? I find it perfect as it's not stressful for my knees and quite pleasant, too. Any suggestion?

Replies

• XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    I wore my HRM during one of my deep water aquafitness classes - it was an hour and 560 cals.
    I'm starting swimming again 1 night a week, tonight.
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    Swimming is an amazing exrcise. You burn a lot of calories and it is easy on the joints. It also works all parts of your body. Keep it up!!!

In a half hour of lane swimming I burn about 400 calories.
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Be aware though that swimming gives some people the munchies afterwards. This is due to the water dropping the bodies core temp, which initiates signals to injest carbs. But yes, swimming is a great exercise....just watch those munchies. :wink:
  • edinam
    Options
    thanks everybody. I should wear an HRM too ;-)

as for munchies... yes that is a problem!!!! I notice they don't start immediately after the session, but after a couple of hours. I usually go swimming after work, so that there's not much time left between swimming and dinner. I guess I should prevent eating too late :)
  • rachefc
    Options
    I did half an hours breaststroke yesterday and the calculator suggested I did just over 400 calories. Do you think that is right because it seemed like a lot more than I would do in half an hour on a bike or treadmill.

Rachel
  • clairelyndsey
    Options
    hi i go swimming 3 times a week and i do breaststroke non stop for 30/40 minutes and i have been told that i lose around 400 calories in this time and at first i found getting hungers a problem but lately i have found that having a slimfast milkshake when i come home stops the hunger and a glass is only 217 calories it works for me