Apple Chicken Sausage

Options
_SusieQ_
_SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
I found some ground chicken on sale last week so I bought it. Then thought, WTH do I do with this?? So I googled some recipes and found this one. First batch was decent so I bought more and made a second batch, tweaking it a bit. Turned out really great!

1 lb ground chicken
1 tart apple (I used Granny Smith)
3 tsp poultry seasoning
1 tsp salt
pepper

Peel and dice apple. Add all ingredients in a bowl and mix with hands. (Quite messy, I won't lie). Form into patties. I got 9 decent sized patties out of this. Spray skillet with cooking spray and cook patties about 3-4 minutes each side. I added a little bit of water to the pan as they were almost done, and continued to brown them.

Servings: 9
Per serving:
Calories - 95
Carbs - 3
Fat - 5
Protein - 10
Fiber - 1

Replies

• odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    That sounds delicious, Susie!!`
  • Tw1zzler
    Tw1zzler Posts: 583
    Options
    This sounds great! I made my own Italian sausage once with ground turkey and it was really good. Best part is you know whats in it!
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    Love love LOVE chicken sausage. Any variety, don't care. It's all great. I'll definitely be whipping out the meat grinder and giving this one a shot.

Thanks for sharing.
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    This sounds great! I made my own Italian sausage once with ground turkey and it was really good. Best part is you know whats in it!

I love that I can have 2 and get 20 gm of protein for less than 200 calories!
  • lvdesertdiva
    lvdesertdiva Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    This sounds really good!! Can't wait to try it. :)
  • perfectingpatti
    perfectingpatti Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    YUM!
  • trchristy
    trchristy Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I actually took out ground chicken for dinner. I dont have granny smith apples but I have mac's and cortland maybe those will be ok ? Sounds yummy...
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Sounds good...I would add a little sage in there too, it would really give it the "sausage" flavor. I buy Applegate organic chicken sausage sometimes, and it is yum, but I bet it would be healthier your way (and less salty).
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I am SO doing this. Obsessed with Chicken Apple sausage.
  • missismj
    missismj Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    yumm!!
  • Clm81401
    Options
    Just to try and help out. I make all my sausage as well to get every callorie out and keep it fresh. Pork tenderloin will lower the callories even more. Single portion them out in a ring mold with parchment paper and freeze on a sheet pan. By using the parchment paper and ring molds you can go with that near no fat of tenderloin or very lean chicken...
  • sunlover67
    sunlover67 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    bump
  • samb330
    samb330 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this. I have the ingredients. Guess what I'm gonna make for dinner tomorrow night???:smile: