Giving up Alcohol

Options
2»

Replies

• chaoticjen
    Options
    Excellent - I wish you the best of luck! Sadly I have packed on the pounds from my wine and diet coke/bacardi rum drinks. Not sure how to do it after work, been using it as my relaxation mechanism....BUT I need to change my life. I look to you and hope I can do as you are. Again, best of luck!! Hope you can keep us updated. :)
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Find an AA meeting near you and go if you really are ready to give it up completely.It doesn't matter if you think you're an alcoholic or not.AA will help you understand WHY you continue to drink even though drinking causes stress in your life.Good luck and God bless!
  • jbirdjr70
    Options
    Good for you sister!! I have also made this pledge to myself. And amazingly I have found that I feel better physically, mentally, emotionally, and overall everywhere! It did no favors for me and only made everything worse! Im much happier now too!! If you want a little help, read "The Easyway to quit Drinking" by Allen Carr....Really opened my eyes and made me not even want alcohol!!
    Good luck!!!

Here's my easy way to quit drinking and it's a lot cheaper than bying a book. However, I will set up a donation site if anyone feels overwhelmed to pay for my advice. It's a sure way to keep from drinking!!!

"Don't open the bottle/can!!!"
  • jbirdjr70
    Options
    As someone that is 18 I thought this would be the hardest thing I'd have to do since me and my friends have always been into partying and clubbing.. However this was the best idea I've ever had.

When I first started MFP I realised I was drinking on average 2000 calories in alcohol alone once a week not including the 4am drunken kebab :| Boy was that a wake up call!

OMG!!!! YOU HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT DRINKING. IT'S NOT ABOUT PARTYING OR CLUBBING. IT'S ABOUT COMING HOME FROM WORK, DRINKING TILL YOU PASS OUT, GET UP FOR WORK.......AND REPEAT. WHEN YOU START DRINKING OVER 2000 CALORIES A NIGHT, START ANOTHER BLOG.
  • ErinGBragh
    ErinGBragh Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Im at the end of week two of a drinking break. Honestly I feel better, the grocery store is cheaper, and Ive lost 7 lbs. I was going to carry this till thanksgiving however I think Im going to pick it back up right after.

That's my story, exactly! About two weeks in without my glasses of wine at night and I feel better and have lost a ton.
  • dahkneeka
    dahkneeka Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    AWESOME!!!
    I was a heavy drinker until MFP friends did SOBER OCTOBER
    I lost inches immediately, and feel way better.

THEN

One night I got totally wasted, didnt remember a thing and was very ill the next day... and that was motivation enough to not drink like that again.

Moderation is key (and for me, thats enjoying 1 glass of wine ona special occasion with a special dinner)
  • Johnettadnewman
    Options
    this is true. most important of all the calories involved
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    good for you!

i played the "moderation" card many times but couldn't find ways to stick with limits. not only is booze bad for the waist-line, but it's bad for the brain, liver, etc. etc.

i'm five years and 4 months sober. happiest i've ever been now that i have a clear head!
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I know my limitations, but I don't know when to quit. So, moderation is not an option for me.

Probably the ONLY good decision I have ever made in my entire life. Dont want it, don't miss it. I do miss the social aspect though. Most of my friends have abandon me somewhat. It's just hard because every fricking thing revolves around drinking, and it's not fun hanging around drinkers all the time when you're not drinking. For them, it's fun. But, drinking is the activity. There's nothing else going on. So, I just stay away. Yes, my social life sucks now. But, I'm slowly trying to make new non-drinking friends. They are a little different. I've been thinking about hitting up some meetings just to make some sober friends.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    As someone that is 18 I thought this would be the hardest thing I'd have to do since me and my friends have always been into partying and clubbing.. However this was the best idea I've ever had.

When I first started MFP I realised I was drinking on average 2000 calories in alcohol alone once a week not including the 4am drunken kebab :| Boy was that a wake up call!

OMG!!!! YOU HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT DRINKING. IT'S NOT ABOUT PARTYING OR CLUBBING. IT'S ABOUT COMING HOME FROM WORK, DRINKING TILL YOU PASS OUT, GET UP FOR WORK.......AND REPEAT. WHEN YOU START DRINKING OVER 2000 CALORIES A NIGHT, START ANOTHER BLOG.

This is quite judgmental. Who says she has no idea about drinking? You? Because your experience was harsher or something?
  • ohkola
    ohkola Posts: 16
    Options
    Good for you!!

I am going to be doing the same. It's very hard to stay on track with alcohol - not because of all the extra calories but also because, for me, alcohol gives me crazy munchies. It's just not serving a positive purpose.
  • Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options
    I stopped for 10 years (not for AA but just for me) then started again for a year.. I went out once a week but when I decided to lose weight, I gave it up again. I have to say I don't miss it that much..maybe only when my kids drive me nuts :drinker:
  • Oh2BeMaintaining
    Oh2BeMaintaining Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    My husband and I have given it up for the last month. (When we started MFP) I have to say, I feel great, I sleep better and we are saving about a $100 a week! Now the holidays are coming up and I am planning to go through them without alcohol. My next glass of wine will be in March when we go away for our 29th anniversary.