How do you NOT think about food???

Options

Replies

• JDavid007
    JDavid007 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Once your stomah shrinks it gets a lot easier. Try obsessing about getting in half your body weight in oz of water instead. Like for a 220 lb person, they should have 110 oz water. Lots of water helps me from being hungry. Good luck :)
    Lauren

This!!!! For me once my stomach shrank it was harder to over eat. Plus it was not easy in the begining but by tracking and not liying to myself I has made me think twice before consume food as much as I use to....
  • Sandyslosenit
    Sandyslosenit Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    That's a sign that you're not eating enough.

Not necessarily. I eat more than enough, I just like to be organised and prepared when it comes to my food and exercise since it keeps me from straying off track. Don't think its a bad thing at all!
    I agree with Jess here!!
    I think about food constantly while losing weight. I'm never hungry, I don't let myself get there. I eat every 3hr. Thinging about food keeps me in check. When I'm not obsessed over it and just eat willy nilly is when I gain. I think of it as planing.
  • PaveGurl
    PaveGurl Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    When I catch myself thinking/ obsessing about food, I try to consciously re-align myself to other goals - like what I'm hoping to do at the gym later, or drawing up a community service plan, or working out the steps for a project for my house, or drafting timelines for goals.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    OK. I can handle the whole dieting/lifestyle change....not a problem. But how in the world can I keep myself from obsessing about food ALL day!?!? As soon as I wake up I'm thinking about what I'll have for lunch then once I finish lunch I'm thinking about what I'll have for dinner....and I'm not even hungry!!!

Is it something that comes naturally once you've changed your habits and such?? HELP!

I think about food all day, every day. As soon as I finish breakfast, I think about lunch. As soon as lunch is over, I start planning an afternoon snack. On my drive home from work, I get excited that I'll be eating dinner soon. During dinner, I'm already plotting my dessert. I love to cook. I love to eat.

And honestly, that didn't stop me from losing weight. It didn't even slow me down. I ate all my favorite foods in moderation. I set a reasonable calorie goal (about 500 under my TDEE). I tried to be more active throughout my life. I stuck with this plan, I and I pretty much effortlessly lost 66 pounds, while giving nothing up.

You can love food, and still lose weight. :flowerforyou:
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I'm a total foodie and think about food all the time as well. I love food! I don't think there's anything wrong with thinking about what you love. Just don't let it turn into action except at meal time ;)
  • aloes5
    aloes5 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'd rather be hungry then fat!!!
  • NikkiSixGuns
    NikkiSixGuns Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    OK. I can handle the whole dieting/lifestyle change....not a problem. But how in the world can I keep myself from obsessing about food ALL day!?!? As soon as I wake up I'm thinking about what I'll have for lunch then once I finish lunch I'm thinking about what I'll have for dinner....and I'm not even hungry!!!

Is it something that comes naturally once you've changed your habits and such?? HELP!

I think about food all day, every day. As soon as I finish breakfast, I think about lunch. As soon as lunch is over, I start planning an afternoon snack. On my drive home from work, I get excited that I'll be eating dinner soon. During dinner, I'm already plotting my dessert. I love to cook. I love to eat.

And honestly, that didn't stop me from losing weight. It didn't even slow me down. I ate all my favorite foods in moderation. I set a reasonable calorie goal (about 500 under my TDEE). I tried to be more active throughout my life. I stuck with this plan, I and I pretty much effortlessly lost 66 pounds, while giving nothing up.

You can love food, and still lose weight. :flowerforyou:

^This! That's totally me. I still think about food all the time, and have been maintaining for almost two years.

The key for me is not to act on my thoughts.
  • Kelly_Runs_NC
    Kelly_Runs_NC Posts: 474 Member
    Options

Trust me, once your body starts changing for the better - you will love being skinny a whoel lot more than food. Food is just fuel for your body. Nothing more.
  • mscollon
    Options
    It is funny, because to lose weight, or to be successful at anything, you have to be a bit obsessed. What helped me is that I use Isagenix and it takes away the thinking about what I am going to eat. I know that I am going to have 2 shakes a day, which I have found to be really yummy and easy. This allows me to focus less on what I am actually going to eat. My suggestion is to plan your meals. I make my salads for the week on Sunday, combined with my other planned snacks and shakes. Then it allows me to obsess on other things, LOL, like working out! But you have to stay focused to succeed!! Keep at it girl! It is important and you could be obsessing about something worse :) Also, it will subside once you get a routine going.
  • clrug0912
    clrug0912 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    To be honest with you, in the last 5 years I have gone from losing almost 30 lbs, and maintaining, then being pregnant and 30 lbs heavier then my maintaining weight now I'm 5 pounds away from prebaby weight. My reason for telling you this is because no matter what my size was, I always think about food!!

One thing that helped after I lost the weight to begin with was keeping myself busy. Try picking up a hobby or taking yourself away from where food is. For me, I went back to school, focused on the gym, classes and hanging out with my friends. If I was still hungry, I just tried to only have healthier options. Someone mentioned it already but I always see the most success with smaller meals and TONS of water. As much as my mind is always on food, if water is in front of me, i'll drink it.

Just wanted to let you know, that it may never go away but you can deal with it a certain way that works for you.
  • alvalaurie
    alvalaurie Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I think it's completely normal (to an extent) to think about if all the time. You HAVE to in order to make sure you're eating properly. It does help to plan meals ahead of time however, I still feel like all I think about is food b/c I'm constantly planing my meals. As long as it's not affecting your weight, then you're ok!
  • YaGigi
    YaGigi Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Get off this site which is 100% related to food.

I know!
    I've never thought of fooooooood as much in my life as I'm here on MFP.
  • kandilynn03
    kandilynn03 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I tend to be obsessive anyway. So, now my mind is constantly on fitness and diet. I used to think about food in terms of which would taste the best and would make me happy. Now, I think about it in terms of how many calories, carbs, protein and fat it has. Which takes more time because I never really thought about the nutritional value of food before. I hope that as I learn which meals fit my requirements, I can think about it less.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I think about sex too much to let food get in the way.

Things only get good when the two thoughts collide.

It works!

Also, I tend to read a lot and play video games, both of which I can easily obsess over, much more so than food. In fact, I don't really obsess much over food, unless I get a specific craving. The other night, I started craving Chinese, so we bought it. Now I won't think about Chinese food for a long time.
  • KelliA0628
    KelliA0628 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Thanks for ALL the feedback. Apparently I need to think about sex more and plan my meals better. Got it!!

Seriously though, I think the pre-planning will help. I like a routine and I think if I can plan out a couple days at a time it will help. I'm a picky eater so that's already one thing working against me but am working on that.

Thanks again for all your advice!!!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Get off this site which is 100% related to food.

Lies. It's at least 36% sex, 8.7% exercise, and 84.3% sarcasm.

Wait.... something went wrong there.

:laugh:
  • santini1975
    santini1975 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I'm dealing with that lately! So everytime I find myself wandering toward the kitchen for no reason, I make myself do 20 pushups or situps. Even if it doesn't keep your mind off food for a very long time, it's still productive!
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    Pre-plan your meals for the day and keep busy doing other things.
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    I think about food all time :) I don't think it's a problem.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    eat a lot of pickles.:wink: