Cabbage Soup Diet SAFE or NOT SAFE ????

Options
Hi all -
I was hungry for some Cabbage Soup over the weekend and decided to make a pot. While I was looking for recipes on the net, I stumbled across the Cabbage Soup Diet. Now, I do remember some co-workers of mine doing this about 10 years ago. After reviewing this diet on the internet I am a little uneasy about it.....is it safe? Are you able to get all the nutritional intake you need? It just seems like there is not enough caloric intake as one needs.....anyone have any further info on this? Thanks

Replies

• Baerlin
    Options
    Good morning, I have heard of this cabbage soup diet and I think at one point I even had the plan for it.
    I have never followed it, cause I think it does not have enough cal and you would starve your body. Once you start back
    to your normal eating I think you will gain weight back again.

However, eating the soup is very nutritious! I eat cabbage soup all the time. Especially, if I have splurged a little. It keeps me
    full longer and it just tastes yummmiii.

I would not follow the plan, but cook up a big pot and keep eating to be healthy!!
  • pmjsmom
    pmjsmom Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    Here's a link to the WedMD article about this diet:

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/the-cabbage-soup-diet

Basically, it is not nutritionally sound and there is definitely not enough fuel for your body to function properly.

That said--we do like the soup (I have weird kids) and so I make it on occasion. I usually add chicken or lean beef to it, though and more spices. Makes a good soup for cold days, though there will be some gas if you are not used to cabbage!
  • sdirks
    sdirks Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Agreed. Cabbage Soup Diet, Master Cleanse... fad diets are starvation diets! Just stick to the nutrition calculator on MFP and eat your exercise calories, and you'll be just fine. :smile:

If you like cabbage soup to begin with, here's a recipe I posted a few weeks ago. It's a healthier version of Ukranian (or red) Borscht, and my Mémère has been making it for 50 years, so it's got to be good!
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/76577-grandma-s-borscht-recipe
  • akasullengal
    akasullengal Posts: 1,499 Member
    Options
    Definitely not enough calories... it'll only hurt you in the long run, but adding a cabbage-based soup to your meals every once in a while is great, as it can be really nutritious, low calorie, and filling. Just don't make it the only thing you eat!
  • get_fit2009
    get_fit2009 Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    My hubby did it and lost 50 pounds - FAST. Guess what? He gained them back just as fast when he began to eat regularly again.
  • dolphin7
    dolphin7 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Yes, my stepdad has done this diet several times, and always wonders why he gains the weight right back as soon as he goes off, plus he usually only loses about 20-25 lbs. every time he does it, basically he is just losing water weight I think, so I agree with everyone else, it really does not work, and its not enough calories to sustain you. You can eat it for the healthy benefits, but instead of dieting I would suggest making a lifestyle change, look at what you eat, portion control, and exercise. Good luck on your journey!
  • RandysHottie
    Options
    Thanks for the heads up.....I knew that little voice in my head was right, AGAIN!!!! It seemed too good to be true....as with all the fad diets!
  • qtwells82
    qtwells82 Posts: 352
    Options
    I just got the recipe and instructions from a coworker of mine and was curious about it myself. I'd rather lose the weight the right way. Thanks for the web pages