Random - Have you ever lived in or visited Australia??

Options

Replies

• Jennifer_Lynn_1982
    Jennifer_Lynn_1982 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I live in Perth. It's a beautiful city, not as bustling as Melbourne and Sydney and lets face it, we have the best weather and beaches in the world :P

Perth was my favorite place to visit :)
  • tachyon_master
    tachyon_master Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I live in Perth. It's a beautiful city, not as bustling as Melbourne and Sydney and lets face it, we have the best weather and beaches in the world :P

Sharks and all? ;-)

I also live in Perth for the time being. But I've also lived in Sydney, Melbourne, Canberra, Townsville and the Gold Coast.
  • mariagabriella
    mariagabriella Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I live in Sydney (:
  • ropermom
    ropermom Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    We've visited as a family Sydney and Tasmania(sp?) Absolutely beautiful! We, too, were thinking about moving there.
    We missed Texas too much, though.
    I like the suggestion that you try visiting for a month first, just to make sure.
    And don't forget the seasons are opposite ours when you pack!
  • thatjulesgirl
    thatjulesgirl Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I'm an Aussie :)

Originally from Perth - beautiful beaches and scenery, but it's probably the most or at least tied with Sydney for most expensive city to live in. Not a huge amount of nightlife but lots of beautiful nature to enjoy :)

Then I moved to Adelaide - FAB city. Love the people, everyone is very friendly. That's the place to live if you're religious - there are churches *everywhere*. The climate is quite similar to Perth and there are lovely wine regions but it's a bit closer to all the other major cities.

Then I lived in Melbourne for 5 years - very cultural city. Lots of hipsters and poets and political people :P It's not as friendly, I found, and it's very fast paced but you'll never run out of things to do. The weather can get a bit oppressive (cold and overcast and rainy a lot of the time) but if you like plays and live music and the arts, that's the place to be. Beautiful architecture, too :)

Now I live in Brisbane - my *favourite*. It's kind of the best of everything. Amazing landscape, fab weather and there are cultural pockets to fill that need, or quiet suburban pockets if that's what you're into. The people I've met here are some of the most friendly, welcoming I've ever come across. Driving here is a bit nuts, but you can get through it!

So yes, you'll need a few more reviews for Sydney, Darwin, Canberra, Hobart and anything rural... but yeah... Good luck!
  • Flass
    Flass Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    it is a great place to live! there's something here for everyone. there are cities of varying size and culture, depending on what you're into. plus there are loads of coastal towns and even country towns where you can live and still not be -that- far away from a beach and a city.

sydney is huge (for an aussie city) and epic, lots to do and see. good for families.
    melbourne is also pretty big but the main appeal is the huge variety of fantastic food. very fun, cultural and artistic city
    adelaide is where i live. small cosy city, everybody knows your name kinda vibe, lots of little hidden gems and bohemian pockets. loads of good food and brilliant central markets!
    and there are heaps more. plus many many gorgeous beaches, each with their own style. some are crazy busy (like Bondi) and lined with shops and cafes and clubs while others are nearly deserted with nothing but a fish & chip shop.

the weather is fabulous, the people are mostly friendly and laid back (you get some bogans in some outer-city suburbs but they're harmless enough) and there's a lot to see in the way of natural wonders. it's very very safe - i've lived here all my life and never encountered a snake or been bitten by anything deadly so don't believe those scare tactics!

in short, yes def come visit here. make sure you see few different places so you can get an idea of everyhitng on offer and what suits your lifestyle best.
  • spersephone
    spersephone Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I'm a Melbourne girl but my mum lives in Bendigo and my brother lives in Geelong - both large regional cities which retain a more country feel than Melbourne. I'd live in Bendigo if I could. I've never left the country though, the cost of going anywhere is prohibitive. I want a passport but I'm not wasting $260 on a document I might not use. One day....

I love Australia, but I would like to see the rest of the world too.
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    laugh:
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options

the weather is fabulous, the people are mostly friendly and laid back (you get some bogans in some outer-city suburbs but they're harmless enough) and there's a lot to see in the way of natural wonders. it's very very safe - i've lived here all my life and never encountered a snake or been bitten by anything deadly so don't believe those scare tactics!

It wasn't a scare tactic, I honestly had the snake man at my house last week because I had a baby brown snake next to my dining room door & it's not the 1st snake I've seen in S.A in suburbia. Just putting it out there in case they don't like snakes :laugh:
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    I'm from Hoabrt, Tasmania. I love it here. It's a small city, not as hot as the rest of Australia but not as many posionous creatures either. If you're into out-doorsy stuff it's really beautiful here. It's been listed as one of the top 10 places to visit in 2013 by Lonley Planet because of our awesome new art museum called MONA.
  • shellebelle87
    shellebelle87 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Live in Brisbane :smile:

It is a great place to live, not sure what state you are thinking of moving to but it is expensive in some places. Still worth it though :smile:
  • CassiusKnox
    CassiusKnox Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I live in Brisbane, Australia.

If you tell us what you are into we can tell you what city might suit you best.

Eg... If you are into the outdoors and/or the beach culture and you love great weather or being semi-naked most of the year Brisbane (Gold or Sunshine Coast) might be for you.

If you are into food, cafes, art, theatre etc (usually lumped together under the term 'culture') Melbourne is your city. Melbourne is also probably Australia's greatest sport loving city. Don't live in Melbourne if you don't like rain.

I can't think of a good reason to live in Sydney sorry :)
  • RiverDancer68
    RiverDancer68 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Originally from Nowra, NSW...but also lived in the Melbourne area (Malvern, Frankston, Hastings and Crib Point) and Perth. I miss it so much...I've been here most of my life, but retain dual citizenship. If there were a way for my entire family to move over (and actually be able to make a living), I would do it in a heartbeat. Actually just ate a vegemite sandwich in honor of this thread!! :drinker:
  • thatjulesgirl
    thatjulesgirl Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I can't think of a good reason to live in Sydney sorry :)

Hehehehehehe... me either :bigsmile: :blushing: :devil:
  • lyndalpn
    lyndalpn Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I live in Nowra NSW (regional town on the south coast) but grew up in Sydney -- would never go back! See a theme here? Sydney is an awesome place as a tourist, but I wouldnt live there!
  • RobynC79
    RobynC79 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I am Australian and lived there until I moved to the US 8 years ago. It's a fabulous country but rather different from the US in a lot of ways. I see you're Canadian - the weather is certainly warmer!

Out of curiosity, why are thinking of moving there?
  • Starla_
    Starla_ Posts: 349
    Options
    I've lived in Australia my whole life, specifically I've lived in South Australia (country, coast and city), Victoria (coast) and North Queensland (coast).

I dont know how it compares to anywhere else but people who move here from overseas or visit seem to love it a lot :)

I wouldn't want to live anywhere else though I'd love to go move back into the country but stay on the coast, best of both worlds then :D
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I'm an Aussie and there are lots of great things about living here - most parts have great weather, employment opportunities are pretty good (though it varies depending on where you go), there are lots of great things to do in the outdoors, you shouldn't have too many language issues (just don't expect it to be exactly the same!), we have fabulous food and fresh produce, health and education are pretty well subsidised and generally of a good standard.

However, many parts of Australia are expensive to live in (Perth!), you will be blown away by the price of everyday things like food, clothes, shoes etc. I believe that wages would probably be higher on average than the US, but its certainly not a cheap country to live in and house prices/rents are completely crazy in some parts of the country (Perth is bad, north west WA is insane!).
    Australia is a long way away from most other parts of the world - for me, the nearest capital city (which is Adelaide, a small city) is three hours flying time. Asia is 3.5 hours or so, Sydney is about 5 hours. It takes over 24 hours to get to the US, and about the same to Europe. You can get cheap flights, though more so from the East Coast (Sydney, Brisbane, Melbourne). This means that visiting family is expensive and time consuming.
    Australia is made up of people from just about every other country in the world, which many people (like me) think is a good thing, while others are very insular and have no idea about or interest in other parts of the world.

I agree with the previous posters who suggest that you visit - I think you have a different mindset if you are looking to stay in a country, not just visiting it as a tourist.
  • CassiusKnox
    CassiusKnox Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    People always worry about us having dangerous creatures here... snakes, spiders, crocodiles, sharks, jellyfish, dingoes etc but I think they are a lot better than bears, lions, tigers etc.

Besides... you only have to able to outrun or outswim one other person and you're ok. The weakest in the herd get taken first. It's just nature :drinker:
  • Effpcos
    Effpcos Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I live in New Zealand but I lived in Cairns and Melbourne growing up. Australia is a huge country and those two cities were very different. We also lived up in the Tablelands of Far North Queensland, that again was very different, even from Cairns which was a fairly short drive away.
    I'd go back there to visit, but I wouldn't go back there to live.