Heart Rate Monitor Challenge

Options
I just got a Polar FT4 on Friday and Loooooove it! :heart: I am going to start to record my calories burned everytime I exercise. I thought it would be a good challenge for everyone with monitors to set a goal on how many calories you wanted to burn weekly. :tongue: My goal is to burn at least 3000 calories a week. With the classes I take at Gold's this is duable for me. Friday I burned 620 calories during my spin class and Saturnday I burned 350 during the Body Pump class and 630 during the step class. Sooo I am already up to 1600. :love:

Is anyone with me....if we have to record our calories burned I thought it would keep us all motivated!!!! New toys are fun :flowerforyou:

Replies

• cmurphy04722
    Options
    I ordered my Polar F4 this morning! I'll be recording what I burn after I get mine, but that could take a week. Congrats on burning so much this week already, and good luck on meeting your 3000 goal!
  • MirandaJayne
    MirandaJayne Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I don't have any fancy HRM, but I got one something like 5 years ago when I joined Good Life Fitness and *cough* never went. Anyways, new battery in, and Im starting to use it tonight when I go to step class. I also have a pedometer I wear through the day so I can count my every day walking towards my daily calorie count.
  • abatres7
    abatres7 Posts: 146
    Options
    Great idea.... Heart rate monitors are good because the machines at the gym inflate calories burned.
  • greeneyes82
    greeneyes82 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Great job!!! I have been seriously considering buying one myself since I'd rather have a more accurate reading than the machines & never know what I really burned doing classes such as step. I'm so glad you are having great results so far. This inspires me to purchase one also. I plan to in the next week. I will join back in once I have one!:bigsmile:
  • twt1999brd
    Options
    Great job!!! I have been seriously considering buying one myself since I'd rather have a more accurate reading than the machines & never know what I really burned doing classes such as step. I'm so glad you are having great results so far. This inspires me to purchase one also. I plan to in the next week. I will join back in once I have one!:bigsmile:

The one that I got was only $95 which is cheaper then most. The reason is, it only records your heart rate and calculates calories burned. But what is cool is it records every work out and files it on your watch. So you can see your average heart rate and how long your were at your max. I love it! It is simple to use and doesn't have 50 features like the others.
  • cmurphy04722
    Options
    I bought the Polar F4 from Amazon today for $69 after doing some research this weekend. It seems like a basic, yet reliable one. I'll do a review of it after I've had a chance to break it in
  • cmurphy04722
    Options
    I bought the Polar F4 from Amazon today for $69 after doing some research this weekend. It seems like a basic, yet reliable one. I'll do a review of it after I've had a chance to break it in
  • Alita2011
    Alita2011 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I will start when I receive mine in the mail. I ordered it on Thursday and I feel like a kid in a candy store. I can't wait for it to arrive. I plan to do the same thing you are doing!
  • twt1999brd
    Options
    Still motivated!!! I didn't do all three classes last night like I planed. That was just way to much. I did burn over 1000 calories taking the spin class and step class. I had jello legs afterward but I was below my calorie intake for the day by over 900!!! I have to keep it up this week because next week I have my son and can't go the gym like that. I guess I will finally find out how many calories I burn with Jillian's DVD.

Keep Moving!!!
  • MirandaJayne
    Options
    twt1999brd, I am so jeallous. The HRM I have, well I noticed half way through my step class last night that it had stopped on me. My wrist at some point had hit the stop button so it stopped recording my calories. I was so discouraged. But at the same point can I really complain that much about a HRM I got for free for joining a gym 5 years ago?!

So I assumed that I burned about 400 cals for the step class, and then this morning I went to Spin class, then did some weights, ab work and 5 mins walking at a 4% incline at 4mph. and that was about 432 cals.
  • twt1999brd
    Options
    twt1999brd, I am so jeallous. The HRM I have, well I noticed half way through my step class last night that it had stopped on me. My wrist at some point had hit the stop button so it stopped recording my calories. I was so discouraged. But at the same point can I really complain that much about a HRM I got for free for joining a gym 5 years ago?!

So I assumed that I burned about 400 cals for the step class, and then this morning I went to Spin class, then did some weights, ab work and 5 mins walking at a 4% incline at 4mph. and that was about 432 cals.

My HRM has the chest strap so it just goes. My stop button has to be pushed twice so I haven't ran into anything like that. You might need a new one. When I do spin, I burn 600 cals in an hour. 400 seems really low???
  • MirandaJayne
    Options
    Yeah that is what I thought too esp cuz the heat was on in the gym this morning and I was raining all over my bike. I was out today (though only at wally world) checking out other watch model HRM. You hve the Polar FT4 right?
  • MirandaJayne
    Options
    Well I have ditched the watch pulse monitor, for a Polar FT4. I used it tonight for the first time at my very first hot yoga class. I loved both! I burned 650 calories thanks to the hot yoga class and able to track it thanks to the new HRM. Yeah!
  • katapple
    katapple Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    I love my HRM! I have a Polar FT7 :)

Anyway, my goal is also 3000 calories a week. I do 4 mile runs on Tues/Thurs, some sort of strength/crosstrain on MWF, and long runs of 7+ miles on Sat, with a short recovery on Sundays.

Yes, I workout every day and I love it! But I don't consider my runs working out since I enjoy it so much. This week has been bad for workouts though, today was my first day back in a week. (huge ice storm, no power to the entire town for 6 days, some are still without). Hopefully I can get back on track soon! The gym is being used as a shelter though so it's tough...