Office job - stuck on my bum!

Options
I've recently graduated and found myself sat at a desk all day 5 days a week in my new job. It's come as a massive shock to my system as I'm usually very active. I can no longer afford the gym and the one thing I can't do is running/jogging outside! Does anyone have any ideas for decent exercises to do around the house? I'm going to start walking half of my journey home everyday despite the weather, but if anyone has any other ideas they'd like to share, it'd be very much appreciated!

Replies

• PrincessNikkiBoo
    PrincessNikkiBoo Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Work out / fitness DVDs. I get up an hour before I have to set off to work :)
  • jdholland5508
    jdholland5508 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Air bicycle while sitting at desk. Burns calories and coworkers think you are crazy and leave you alone.

Credentials :
    Currently air biking
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I know you can find the 30 day shred videos on youtube, I've never done them...but I also work an office job and I really just went for a walk everyday during my 30 minute lunch and that made a huge difference for me, in addition to just watching what I eat
  • FabMrFox
    FabMrFox Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Free= push-ups, jumping jacks(side straddle hop), crunches, use a chair and do dips, curl cans of food or milk/water jugs, mountain climbers, lunges.
  • limesublime
    limesublime Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Step aerobics were my solution to this very issue. I invested less than $100 for a step and a few videos, and I get quite sweaty doing them at home in the morning :) Another thing I do is keep a fitness ball (aerobics ball? You know, those big inflatable balls you see in the gym. No, not those kind, get your mind out of the gutter) in my office. I switch off - one hour on the ball, one hour in the chair. Seems to help my posture a bit.
  • Colombianchick29
    Colombianchick29 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Air bicycle while sitting at desk. Burns calories and coworkers think you are crazy and leave you alone.

Credentials :
    Currently air biking

LMAO omg this is too funny- co-workers will think your crazy lol
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    Get up at least once an hour and get your blood pumping. Jumping jacks, push-ups, walking up and down the stairs, etc. Go for a walk on your lunch break... on the phone? Pace! Sneak in ways to exercise even for a very short period of time. It will add up!
  • SageGoddess320
    SageGoddess320 Posts: 2,589 Member
    Options

Credentials :
    Currently air biking

Love this! Now I'm doing it too....but my co-workers already think I'm crazy :laugh:
  • kimika23
    kimika23 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    LOL - I just tried this and ended up with a bruised knee. Forgot about that stupid under mounted desk-drawer that I never use! Oops! :)
  • onefuzzy
    onefuzzy Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Its a little expensive, but I purchased one of these and LOVE it! I can stand for most of the day, then sit when I need to.

http://www.amazon.com/Omnimount-Work-20-Dual-screen-Height-adjustable/dp/B0082D5610
  • marthathebear
    Options
    Once an hour go to the restroom and do jumping jacks! While at your desk, run in place while sitting. Take the stairs quickly whenever possible.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    DVD's! I must have about 40 of them at home. My faves are Jillian Michaels, Bob Harper and Leslie Sansone. You can also YouTube free workouts.
  • LisaKunz
    LisaKunz Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    What is air biking? Pedaling your feet while sitting on your chair?

I lost my first 10 pounds by just getting up and walking around during my morning and afternoon breaks. I walked and did stairs for 15 minutes, twice a day. Then I added 30 minutes at lunch. Other ideas: Stand while you work as much as possible - this may involve rearranging your work station, sit on a ball instead of a chair, do squats during your bathroom visits, wall-sits, upper body work-out with 5-pound weights (in the bathroom or behind a wall), jumping jacks every hour on the hour...
  • jdholland5508
    jdholland5508 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    LOL - I just tried this and ended up with a bruised knee. Forgot about that stupid under mounted desk-drawer that I never use! Oops! :)

Solution: lay on you back in the hallway. Same calorie burn but more crazy looks!
  • Spatialized
    Spatialized Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Could commute by bike. Great way to get your workout in and cuts back on cost of gas. Although this is dependent on a variety of factors to be feasible for most folks. Take the stairs instead of the lift, take a walk on your break, calf raises, just get up and move.
  • midnite81
    midnite81 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Oops! Lol

Air cycling sounds brilliant. Never thought about that!
  • anjoneill
    anjoneill Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Go to fitnessblender.com where that are lots of free workout videos which are very good and completely free of charge. There is no music to them but you can play your own in the background.

I am also desk bound for much of the day but each time I am about to start a new task I get up and walk upstairs and down (2 flights) which helps me feel more active. You could also go for a short walk at lunchtime.
  • quellybelly
    quellybelly Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    30 day shred video!! Only half an hour video so it's really easy to fit in :)
  • Lauryn_23
    Lauryn_23 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone - this is great! I hadn't heard of the 30 day shred but I've just found it on youtube and will do as much as I can tomorrow morning :) cycling under the desk sounds hilarious. My co-workers already think I'm nuts too so I don't think this could hurt!
  • krickeyuu
    krickeyuu Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    At your desk--every hour stand up and move your feet for 5 minutes. March in place, side steps, hamstring curls, knee-lifts, virtual jump rope, whatever you can do. If you work 8 hours a day this is 40 minutes of cardio.