IT band pain??? HELP

Options
I just started running again, and everytime I get this HORRIBLE soreness in my hip on both sides and I feel like its IMPOSSIBLE to stretch. Theres a few awkward ways I can kind of get it, but nothing really works.

Is this my IT band? and hoooow on earth do I stretch it? Also, should I stop running?

Replies

• iluvprettyshoes
    iluvprettyshoes Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I had that too on both sides. Visited my chiropractor and he was able to help with it. I couldn't run with mine so swam laps til I could run again.

Good luck to you!
  • WolfPackFan13
    WolfPackFan13 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I think typically IT band pain is on the outside of the knee. That is where I got mine. I'm not sure what yours is.

If it is the IT band, the single best way to stretch it (for me at least) is to get a foam roller, and roll the band out. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoHBDim_fzk

And yes, they recommend you stop or at least run less if it is an IT band issue.
  • iluvprettyshoes
    Options
    Oh and yes mine was IT band syndrome
  • iluvprettyshoes
    Options
    I think typically IT band pain is on the outside of the knee. That is where I got mine. I'm not sure what yours is.

If it is the IT band, the single best way to stretch it (for me at least) is to get a foam roller, and roll the band out. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoHBDim_fzk

It is typically on the outside of the knee but it can be on the hip as well.
  • julieh391
    julieh391 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Google IT band stretches. I just started doing them regularly and am noticing a big decrease in pain.
  • stevej351
    Options
    Check out www.mobilitywod.com. Dig around on the site. There are several videos that address this.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Check out www.mobilitywod.com. Dig around on the site. There are several videos that address this.

yup, awesome site.

Also buy a foam roller.
  • victoriannsays
    victoriannsays Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! Im going to soak in a hot bath right now. This *kitten* hurts!!!!!!!!!
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Have you been fitted for running shoes at a running specialty store? The wrong shoes can cause ITBS issues.
  • LockStockNSam
    LockStockNSam Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Foam rollers are DA BOMB, let me tell you. Textured or otherwise, it really helps. And rather than going for heat, icing it for 20 mins at a time will help decrease the swelling. When I wrecked my IT band (which is totally common for runners), I went to a sport physio therapist. She massaged about 2 inches deep into my leg, and I swore and screamed the entire time. When I went in for a follow-up, and she massaged me again, I felt nothing. It was great. From there out, I did some good ol' stretches that she gave me, and tried to roll it after a long run/work out. Hope you get some relief!
  • Barribomb
    Barribomb Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    like previous poster said google IT Band stretches. also search on youtube for It Band stretches / Yoga for hip flexibility! I've found GREAT yoga sequences to help me through this!! hope this helps! :smile:
  • crobl
    crobl Posts: 380
    Options
    Thanks guys! Im going to soak in a hot bath right now. This *kitten* hurts!!!!!!!!!

If this is a more acute injury - ice is better than heat. In the acute phase of an injury, heat can actually worsen symptoms and make the injury last longer.
  • _danjo_
    _danjo_ Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Foam roller. And pigeon pose.
  • therapyruns
    therapyruns Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    rest. lots of stretching and no running. you should get a foam roller to massage the band. also, while standing, cross your legs one in front of the other then bend down to one side and you will feel the band stretch out. you can also lay down on your back, pull both your legs up at 90 degree angle, and take one leg and make a square on top of the other and it will stretch the band as well.
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options

And yes, they recommend you stop or at least run less if it is an IT band issue.

Mine was in my hips. I went to my DR and he gave me some stretches. I still ran with it though. Eventually it went away. Once in a while it flares up again, but I just keep stretching it really well and it's all good.
  • leesehm
    leesehm Posts: 117
    Options
    see a physio. could be glut med tendinopathy which needs totally different treatment.