What type of food do you eat?

Options
See, lately I haven't been eating healthy AT ALL. The healthiest meal I eat a day is dinner. It's a meat, vegetable and pasta usually. But, during the day is JUNK, JUNK, JUNK. I'm curious what type of foods all of you eat and how it's helping your progress and journey?
When I was eating healthy food, it was things like peanut butter on whole wheat toast or egg sandwiches but then again, I always add mayonnaise to egg sandwiches.

Replies

• Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Real food. I'm not into supplements or powders. I eat a lot of eggs (home made egg mcmuffin type stuff, egg salad, etc), fruits, oatmeal, greek yogurt, string cheese, etc. I THINK my diary is open. Feel free to peruse around...
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    I eat real food also.

Meat, eggs, wild caught fish and seafood for protein
    Animals fats, olive oil and coconut oil for fats
    Vegetables and fruits
    Some raw nuts and seeds
    Raw Honey
    Raw Dairy

I make my own home made mayonnaise, salad dressings, BBQ sauces, etc. I try and use fresh herbs the majority of the time, but I do use ground and powedered seasonings on occasion.
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    I eat stuff with calories.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    See, lately I haven't been eating healthy AT ALL. The healthiest meal I eat a day is dinner. It's a meat, vegetable and pasta usually. But, during the day is JUNK, JUNK, JUNK. I'm curious what type of foods all of you eat and how it's helping your progress and journey?
    When I was eating healthy food, it was things like peanut butter on whole wheat toast or egg sandwiches but then again, I always add mayonnaise to egg sandwiches.

Well, you're welcome to look at my diary to see what I eat, it's open.

I usually either have eggs or porridge for breakfast.

Lunch is usually crackers with peanut butter, a piece of fruit, some yoghurt when i'm at work (I work part time) and on my days off it could be soup, a jacket potato, salad, chicken etc. Occasionally I'll have a sandwich or wrap, but try to limit the amount of bread i eat.

Dinner is often something like a fishcake or chicken with veg, or sometimes curry, or shepherd's pie. We never eat processed food, and rarely get take-away.

I sometimes make fairy cakes for my kids so have those as a treat. I hardly ever buy chocolate bars.

I have natural yoghurt, raisins or fruit as a snack.

Basically I aim for under 1500 calories and lots of protein.

In the past I ate less calories, and lived off salads, and although I did lose weight, I am thinner now than I have been for a long time, and as soon as I was pregnant I piled on weight as I started eating normally. How I eat now is far healthier and sustainable.
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I eat all kinds of food. My diary is open, but I don't log every single meal on every single day.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

I eat food that I like hence why my diet is easy to adhere to
  • testease
    testease Posts: 220
    Options
    A lot of protein powder, and junk food. Working for me.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Whatever I want! Duh!

Napoleon_Dynamite_by_jasonseiler.jpg
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I eat real food too like:

Fruits
    Veggies
    Greek Yogurt
    Cookies and pastries
    Ice-cream
    Fake meat (vegetarian)
    Milk
    Cheese
    Ice-cream
    Nuts and nut butters
    Whey protein if I need it
    Condiments, dressings, oils and butter
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    I eat a whole foods, plant based diet. So I eat a ton of fresh fruits,veggies and beans with a little rice, quinoa, etc.
  • reptilegrrl
    reptilegrrl Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    REAL FOOD ALL THE WAY! However, I think "all things in moderation", so I don't fear the occasional junk food, and also, I happen to like (one type of) protein powder. I have to balance my protein carefully, so the Designer Whey kind helps me to have a smoothie (which I otherwise wouldn't be able to do, and which I love.)

I eat mostly vegetables and mostly organic. I was vegetarian until a month ago; the meat I eat now is pastured, but I eat it very moderately. After some experimenting with meats I have found that beef makes me feel best, so that is what I will mostly be eating. I love pasta so I eat it once every week or two and I don't sweat that, at all. I really believe in eating GOOD food: if I am going to eat pasta, it is good stuff, if I am going to eat a dessert, it is a good one rather than a convenience store snack cake.

I like mayo on egg sandwiches, too. So I eat it.

When I am craving something sweet, I like to have some good dark chocolate or some Haagen Dazs ice cream: I find that this ice cream is so thick and rich that a few bites satisfy me.

Hm here are some samples of recent meals:

white bean, sweet potato, & chard soup
    savory pumpkin pancakes with pulled pork
    lacinato kale with egg noodles, roasted sweet potatoes on the side, a few slices of ham
    toasted bread with cheese, iced latte (breakfast)
    two eggs over easy and a piece of toast, iced latte (breakfast)
    stew of beef, sweet potatoes, and collard greens.
    zarkopita (this is a Greek pie, it is kind of like a savory cheesecake), sauteed leafy greens, sliced fresh tomatoes
    more zarkopita with steamed green beans and roasted pumpkin

etc etc
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    'Healthy' depends entirely on the person, what their body needs at that time and a lot of other factors - so I don't think specific foods can be 'healthy'.

Me, I go in phases, but my diet often includes a large variety of things a lot of people on here would turn their noses up at!
  • Cordy1228
    Cordy1228 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I eat a little bit of everything, including a lot of processed/convenience foods. Some of my staples are:

Greek yogurt (plain with brown sugar mixed in)
    Oatmeal (cold, soaked overnight in soy/almond milk)
    Turkey sandwiches on whole wheat wraps or english muffins, with laughing cow cheese and broccoli slaw
    Pretzels (easier for me to moderate than chips)
    Dry cereal (sweet ones, like Honey Graham Oh!s)
    Colby/jack cheese sticks
    Pasta, jarred sauce
    Fully cooked chicken sausages

Some things I make or cook with pretty often are:

Scrambled eggs
    Potatoes, baked or mashed
    Frozen broccoli, green beans, asparagus, spinach
    Red bell peppers
    Baby carrots
    Chicken, chicken, and more chicken
    Ground turkey meatloaf, meatballs
    Broth-based soups like veggie, minestrone
  • Rhia55
    Rhia55 Posts: 247
    Options
    Well, it used to be ice cream, doritos, doughnuts, candy.. I looked forward to being able to eat those things.

Now I look forward to going home and having cottage cheese, tomato soup and popcorn.

I guess that's a small victory. I also eat English muffins (and I do use butter and jam) olives, pickles, canned chicken noodle soup, eggs, granola bars and 100 calorie snack packs.

It's working for me, even though it seems an odd diet to eat all the time.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Real food. Real food that tastes good. Life is too short to eat bad food. But real food is healthier and yummier than junk anyway...especially if you consider that dark chocolate and ice cream are real foods.
  • bluefrog_2001
    bluefrog_2001 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I royally blew it today - I just entered my lunch and dinner (which, technically was breakfast and lunch), and I am way over what I should have eaten for the day. I went to class this am, and since I work 12 -8 on Mondays and Tuesdays, I decided to have lunch for breakfast - at McDonalds. That dollar menu is murder - I could not decide on the McDouble or the McChicken, so i had both. (hanging head in shame). and fries. and regular coke.

Then, leftover pizza for dinner, lunch, whatever...the second meal.

I really like the food tracker on here, and I am committed to logging in daily and recording HONESTLY what I eat, especially the portions. That little "if everyday were like today, you would weigh xxx lbs. in 5 weeks" is good incentive.

I do like cottage cheese, and greek yogurt, and apples, and pineapple and making turkey wraps - those are always good. I find it hard to eat healthier living with 3 junk food junkies in the house, but it is a work in progress.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I eat a variety of foods. I only eat food that I enjoy eating, and I don't eliminate foods, although I may reduce frequency or quantity--but nothing is off limits.

If you can create a calorie deficit and meet nutrient needs then the individual food items are less important. Diet as a whole matters a lot.

Lastly, Have a great day you lovely person. I'm not attacking you and I hope we can all hold hands as a happy forum family.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    I eat a variety of foods. I only eat food that I enjoy eating, and I don't eliminate foods, although I may reduce frequency or quantity--but nothing is off limits.

If you can create a calorie deficit and meet nutrient needs then the individual food items are less important. Diet as a whole matters a lot.

Lastly, Have a great day you lovely person. I'm not attacking you and I hope we can all hold hands as a happy forum family.

You are SUCH a mean, bullying jerk and I do not know why you have not been banned from existence yet.
  • maryjay52
    maryjay52 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    i try to mix it up .. when i stick to a diet . i found that when i eat right i dont have the cravings . i use protein powders and bars because its easy for me . i live an extremely hectic life. i pack food every day i leave this house or im screwed. my diary is open if you want to look..just started back up again so not alot to look at yet.

im a cook so i can get creative. my big problem is time spent on planning all this stuff. typically i cook enough to last a few meals and i always cook meats and carbs like pasta or brown rice ahead of time so i can just grab it out of the fridge and heat it up
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options

You are SUCH a mean, bullying jerk and I do not know why you have not been banned from existence yet.

How dare you insult us all?!? :tongue: