HRM without chest strap

I'm exhausted from reading conflicting advice/opinions about heart rate monitors. Can anyone just give me a recommendation for a HRM without a chest strap? I just basically want to know my heart rate and calories burned (pedometer & distance would be a plus). I want it to be fairly accurate but I know it won't be as accurate as one with chest strap. I am willing to make the tradeoff. I am looking for a watch-type as opposed to an armband.

Any tips would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Without a chest strap you'll have to walk around with your fingers on the watch face to get an accurate reading. You'll likely not get a recommendation on of those because there isn't much to recommend about them. I bought one and ended up giving it to my grandkids to play with.

In order for it to give you readings for distance you'd need a GPS model which is very expensive.
  • I actually listen to my heart with a stethoscope and count my HR while exercising on my bike, I do use an ace wrap to hold the head piece in place. It's interesting listening to your heart. I'm figurin' this doesn't help, just thought I'd throw it in. I check B/P and resting HR too. Good luck!
  • tianti82
    tianti82 Posts: 54 Member
    I'm exhausted from reading conflicting advice/opinions about heart rate monitors. Can anyone just give me a recommendation for a HRM without a chest strap? I just basically want to know my heart rate and calories burned (pedometer & distance would be a plus). I want it to be fairly accurate but I know it won't be as accurate as one with chest strap. I am willing to make the tradeoff. I am looking for a watch-type as opposed to an armband.

Any tips would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!

Polar FT4 is a watch. Go to http://www.polar.com/en/products/get_active/fitness_crosstraining/FT4 to read reviews and see all features. About $60.00.
  • T1mH
    T1mH Posts: 568 Member
    Polar FT4 is a watch. Go to http://www.polar.com/en/products/get_active/fitness_crosstraining/FT4 to read reviews and see all features. About $60.00.
    It's a watch with a chest strap.

I have not heard of a good wrist only monitor.
  • Eponine7
    Eponine7 Posts: 161
    Ah well, I guess it was too much to wish for...hate the darn chest strap on my FT7.

Thanks for the input, though.
  • imthejenjen
    imthejenjen Posts: 265 Member
    Dont buy one without a chest strap! Waste of money!! The chest strap does not bother me AT ALLL! I've never had any problems with mine. I actually forget its even on while I'm working out! Its worth buying one w/ cheststrap, just saying. But, obviously, you will do what ya want. :wink: I have the Polar Ft7 and I'm absolutely in :heart: with it!