Really Annoying NSV

Options

Replies

• megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    This has happened to me a couple of times lately. "You look great....you're done dieting now right? You don't want to go too far" well thanks for your concern and the compliment, but I am far from skinny at this point. No, I'm not done yet, but I'm not in a hurry either, ill let you get used to this, ok?
    Actually ive been rethinking my goal weight upwards, now that ive seen what this weight looks and feels like. But by all means...keep telling me I look skinny, its the first time in my life its ever happened!:laugh:
  • Jodibear58
    Jodibear58 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    What *I* would give to hear anything close to that in my life! Congrats on your weight loss!!
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    You look great.
  • kaseysospacey
    kaseysospacey Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I'm very overweight, and if I lose any noticeable weight at all people will be like,you lost weight so you're done. Like I don't have to finish because I lost a few lbs
  • haters_fb62b5_2448292_zpsa05b12f7.gif

:drinker: Keep being the healthy you!
  • dogacreek
    dogacreek Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I was receiving the same remarks a few months ago. I still have about 35 pounds to lose, so it was frustrating to me also. My girlfriend told me to use a better moisturizer cream on my skin. It has really improved my "look" and I don't hear near as many comments now. Just a suggestion.
  • DenyseMarieL
    DenyseMarieL Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I used to weigh around 130, and got down to about 118, (I am 5'3" and have a small frame, so this is NOT unreasonable for me), when a girlfriend actually asked me if I had become anorexic. I was insulted! I am by no means skinny, I still have some curves. She is overweight so perhaps jealousy is a factor....?
  • Jongfaith
    Options
    I just ranted about this on another thread... My coworkers have taken to calling me skinny mini. I am far from skinny mini! Still at 215lbs, sure I started at 266 but I my current goal is around 170 just to be at a healthy weight since I am 5'9"!
    Even my gym buddy told me to stop losing weight because I am getting to thin... WTF? crazy people just used to seeing us a certain way is the only explination for it. Good luck keeping positive through the negativity I will continue to do the same.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I get that. I just tell them they wish they were as thin as I am and invite them to go for a run.
  • pixiestick
    pixiestick Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    I wished there was a group called "Healthy Women are Better Than Fat Women"

:laugh: :laugh:

My personal thought is that most people have some level of membership in the "fat" clubhouse. For some, it's unhealthy habits masked by being naturally slender. For others, they just don't want to be made aware of their own 5-star status in the club. :noway:

If someone healthy, fit, and leading an admirable, sustainably active lifestyle tells me to slow down because I may be injuring myself, I'll think about paying attention. But most of the "cautionary compliments" come from people who miss you in the clubhouse. :yawn:
  • slipandsink
    slipandsink Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    In my teenage years I was overweight - topped out at a BMI of about 29 I think. Now after 4 years of slow progress I'm a much more reasonable 21.5ish and people (including my parents and grandparents) have felt the need to tell me that I look emaciated and underweight. Not sure they've ever seen an underweight person...
  • ncthomas09
    ncthomas09 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    When I started on MFP I was at the upper end, almost going into the overweight spectrum for my height. I honestly don't have a goal weight I am trying for, I am trying to fit into a pair of jeans again. I know I was at a healthy weight then and I looked good when I could wear them but I have no idea how much I weighed then either. But over time I have learned which people I can talk to about it without hearing those things.

When I started I had a ton of people say "oh you're too skinny as it is" or "you don't need to lose weight you look fine". I have even had people tell me not to donate my too big clothes because I will need them again one day. Well you know what!?! I've got news for these people!!! I'm not doing this for them I am doing this for me! Their opinion doesn't mean jack squat to me so I ignore them. Yes it's annoying when people say those things, but I honestly have started to wonder if those comments don't stem from jealousy because they don't have the discipline to do this themselves!!!

You look great and if you feel good too then that's all that matters! Do this for you!!
  • r0se125
    r0se125 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I can't wait till someone says "you've lost to much weight" lol. however to your post i could see why it would get annoying. Luckily no one around me really comments about my weight loss unless i bring it up. I would just have to say pay no attention everyone is going to have some sort of opinion and something to say about everything. its what your happy with and where you want to be. As long as your healthy then they should just keep their comments to themselves.
  • TasTam
    TasTam Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    The best one I got was a backhanded compliment where the person said that losing weight was good for me because it all of sudden made me much more fashionable in my choice of clothes!!! WTF!!! I was wearing the same old clothes I had grown out of in the first place and had been able to just get back into!!! LOL!!!
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I haven't been told that but I am not quite at the halfway mark, but when I tell my mom what weight I am aiming for (nicely in my 'ideal' weight range) she's always like "NO, that'd be WAY too skinny!"
  • scrappy25
    scrappy25 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of times people are reacting to the facial weight loss when they think you are losing too much weight. Some people do lose weight in their faces faster than elsewhere, it eventually catches up and looks good but sometimes it can look a little unhealthy. So smile and say "Thanks, I'm working really hard at being healthy and strong."
  • David___D
    David___D Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great replies and it is my intention to carry on.

and found this one of my Driving Licence Photo from July 2010..........guessing my face is looking a little thinner!

th_LicencePhoto_zpsbbdce251.jpg
  • David___D
    David___D Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Not sure why the photo won't show up?

Anyway I was a few pounds heavier in the face so you get the gist!
  • byrnet18
    byrnet18 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    My father in law the other day said, after not seeing me for a couple months, "When I see you now you look normal, you're face doesn't look as anorexic as it use to. Maybe I'm just getting use to it." Wow. Really?
  • HotMummyMission
    HotMummyMission Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    Not gaunt at all look at your face its like a perfect action man face xxhaha xx
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!