Biggest Loser Question?

Options
ok, did anyone watch Biggest Loser last week? What is the benefit/gameplay of not losing weight? I'm so confused....

Replies

• happybrooke
    Options
    I believe their strategy is:

When they have immunity, they do not have to lose weight. Therefore saving their energy for the weighins that they do not have immunity. When they know they are on the chopping block, they bust their butts to lose. Which is why that lady lost 11 lbs, when she hadn't lost a thing the previous two weeks. She is not as tired as the rest of the folks.
  • Jennwith2ns
    Jennwith2ns Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I thought it was something like.. if they TRY not to lose anything, i.e. eating a lot and not working out much, and they either dont lose or gain, then when they get back to trying full-force, they are able to lose a BUNCH of weight. Kind of like your first week of losing weight, its when you lose the most. I could be wrong though.

I remember a guy did that a few seasons ago. He lost nothing, next week he gained a lb or 2, then the 3rd week lost 18 lbs and was above the line so didnt have to be eliminated.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    well, if she was (and I believe she was, my wife doesn't) trying to stay the same weight, then the way to do it is to still exercise, but eat a high sodium meal the night before and the morning of, then drink about 3X the water you normally do. Why? Because this way you're still losing the fat, but your weight stays at or near the same because of the added water weight. This way, in 2 or 3 days when all that sodium leaves her body (after the weigh-in) the water weight will also leave. So now you have essentially 2 weeks worth of fat loss.

I doubt any of them would try to not lose by eating and not exercising, that's very detrimental to their long term weight loss, I.E. multiple weeks of weigh-ins.

If I were TBL, I'd require them to keep their sodium levels within a certain range. Something like 1 week with sodium above 3000 mg and you are warned, 2 weeks and you are automatically disqualified from the next immunity you may have won. that way people won't be able to do this.
  • mroper
    mroper Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Im my opinion, if they gain they should lose immunity.
  • vraehn
    vraehn Posts: 1,008
    Options
    I agree that it must be a lot of water weight when one can stay the same or barely lose any weight and then drop a lot of weight. It seems reasonable that it would be difficult to drop that much fat considering that it takes a defict of 3500 to lose a pound.
  • MSPENCE
    Options
    I have been watching the show since it started and many times when people have immunity they will throw the weigh in by drinking a gallon of water just before the weigh in. This way it "hides" any weight loss they have for the week making their percentage of weight loss next weigh in much higher.
    I agree with mroper. Immunity or not a weight gain shouldn't happen with all that they are doing on Campus.

Best of luck to you
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,607 Member
    Options
    I wish they would reward fat lost, not weight lost.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options

I absolutely agree, the problem with that is it's easier to lose body fat % when you are bigger, so the biggest contestants would always win the weigh-in's (or what ever you would call them); unless you could put together some kind of formula that takes in the amount of fat they currently have, and make it a relative loss (or gain) for all members, but I don't know of any existing formula that does that right now (there may be one, I've just never heard of it).
  • princesspurple
    Options
    Im my opinion, if they gain they should lose immunity.

mroper-that is a GREAT idea....this 'game' overall is about the BIGGEST loser, if you are not losing and gaining, you should not be able to be immune-she is surely playing the game...a lot of her reminds me of Tracy from last season. I am sure the first time the red team is up for elimination, she will be gone.
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,607 Member
    Options

I absolutely agree, the problem with that is it's easier to lose body fat % when you are bigger, so the biggest contestants would always win the weigh-in's (or what ever you would call them); unless you could put together some kind of formula that takes in the amount of fat they currently have, and make it a relative loss (or gain) for all members, but I don't know of any existing formula that does that right now (there may be one, I've just never heard of it).
    It seems like they should be able to come up with a fairly simple calculation that rewards percentage of fat lost. It would be more fair than percentage of weight lost like they do now.
  • Candiceg13
    Options
    I personally cannot stand her.... I have to say I have a special favoritism towards gray since they are from where I live and have grown up, but I am also really gunning for purple to stay...

Tonight will be interesting with blue and yellow coming back!!!!
  • TCASMEY
    TCASMEY Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    I agree the red team is playing the game.....but that being said THEY ARE NOT CHEATING!. They are playing by the rules they were given. Until the rules change or this can be made popular without it being a game there will be people who do this!