resting heart rate - runners

Options
The other day I went to the ER for stomach pain and they put me on the heart monitor....while resting my heart rate hovered around 43 and went down as low as 37. I have been walking for over a year and running for a few months now and am working on a 1/2 marathon. So I know runners tend to have lower resting heart rates, but is that too low?

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Generally speaking a lower resting heart rate is a sign of cardiovascular health, heart rates as low as yours are usually the sign of a highly conditioned athlete (last time I checked mine was 52). If you're concerned about it you should probably speak to your doctor (but I'm jealous.....).

My personal theory is anything above zero is good!:laugh:
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Checked first thing in the morning my heart rate is usually around 50 or a smidge below when taking first thing in the morning, but looking at the minimum on a bouldering session I noted it got down to 40 - does tend to be a fair bit of sitting around so low is not unexpected, but was surprised it went that low.
  • julieh391
    julieh391 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I can never remember to check mine when I first wake up, but if I'm relaxing during the day it's around 49. It's been in the 70's most of my life including when I was a healthy weight. I've been running since May and was really shocked by how hugely it effected my HR.