success in college

Options
Hey guys! So I've always been really active. I love working out and before I came to college I worked out six times a week. Once I got here, I found my motivation to dwindle immensely. I eat worse than I ever have and don't work out as often as I would like. I noticed I definitely put on weight, so I try to get back into my old routine. I'll eat healthy and work out Monday through Wednesday, but once Thursday comes around I flake out and go back to not working out/eating poorly. I'm getting really disappointed in myself and don't want to gain the cliche freshman fifteen. Every Monday I'll be extremely motivated and determined, but without a doubt, that motivation only lasts until Wednesday... every single time. Does anyone have advice? I'm sick of feeling bad about myself and self-conscious. I don't know what it is, but I just can't seem to get back into the swing of things.

Replies

• Emma422
    Emma422 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I faced the same issue my freshmen year of college as well. Try setting mini weekly goals like working out 4 times this week or something. I have a calendar up in my room and I have a huge book of lisa frank stickers and i give myself a different sticker for each type of exercise i do and put it on the calendar. It really keeps me going i love seeing a whole month full of stickers and i hate seeing a blank day though they happen occasionally. also I'm doing this new thing to keep positive thoughts and keep my goal in sight by posting a new motivational quote hand written mini poster on my wall everyday :) hope this helps.
  • spazzyshorty
    Options
    I'm currently in my senior year and know how hard it is to fit in workouts!

Fitness tips: Wake up just a little bit earlier on workout days-- I like to schedule my blocks of workout time so it's harder for me to back out. For example, if I make a chart on Sunday that shows I'm running on MWF, I'm way less likely to flake than if I simply decide spur of the moment. Carry your workout clothes and water bottle. Give yourself some motivation: after x workouts, buy (whatever small thing you want to buy). If you commute to campus, you can always bike. Don't take public trans!

Eating tips: Do you eat in a buffet-style dining hall? Eat a whole plate of veggies or fruit before each dinner-- you'd be surprised at how much you really don't need to eat those fries/pasta/whatever. Stock up your dorm room and your bag with extra fruit or nut snacks, so you won't need to hit up a vending machine between classes. I find that I tend to overeat if I've been hungry all day, and eating regular small meals can prevent headaches too. Basically, always carry a healthy snack, because if you don't need it I'm sure you can find a busy friend who will be really grateful for that apple!
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    What kinds of behavior or activities are you engaging in at the end of the week which makes you fall off the wagon? Going out with friends?
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    How is your logging? I would make step 1 logging accurately- no matter what you end up doing on the weekends. If it's drinking, keep track and log it. If it's late night pizza, log it. Whatever it is, I would make that your priority to figure out where you stand.

Step 2 is to not be so rigid....It sounds like you strive for a level of perfection that you don't feel comfortable maintaining, so you get sick of it and quit week after week. I would maybe try dialing back your expectations of what a healthy lifestyle entails- you don't need to work out constantly and eat perfect. You can be mostly good most of the time. Get the logging in order, and you'll have a great start.