The dreaded plateau

Options
All I have to say is, my poor husband had to listen to my cry for 30 minutes last night because I didn't lose any weight or inches this week. 10 pounds in a month, and then nothing. :sad:

I went through some older posts, and this is my plan of attack:

1. I am going to go to the gym 4x a week instead of 3.
2. Instead of 45 minutes of cardio, I am going to go for an hour each time.
3. I am going to stay on the damn elliptical for the majority of my time (the most I've been able to manage is 20 minutes.) Hopefully this will be enough of a "shock" to my body to get me kickstarted.

Thoughts/suggestions/improvements/encouragement?

I hope you guys all have a kick-@$$ week!

Replies

• eyescatchfire
    eyescatchfire Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    All I have to say is, my poor husband had to listen to my cry for 30 minutes last night because I didn't lose any weight or inches this week. 10 pounds in a month, and then nothing. :sad:

I went through some older posts, and this is my plan of attack:

1. I am going to go to the gym 4x a week instead of 3.
    2. Instead of 45 minutes of cardio, I am going to go for an hour each time.
    3. I am going to stay on the damn elliptical for the majority of my time (the most I've been able to manage is 20 minutes.) Hopefully this will be enough of a "shock" to my body to get me kickstarted.

Thoughts/suggestions/improvements/encouragement?

I hope you guys all have a kick-@$$ week!
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Are you doing any weight training? This is how the inches drop off, IMHO.

Other than that, it looks like you have a good plan. Remember to be patient with yourself, as it takes a couple of weeks (sorry.) for changes in your fitness routine to shock the body.

But, you've got the right attitude, including allowing yourself to cry. But, ten pounds in a month is amazing! No wonder your body wanted a little break. Now pick yourself up, and get back to work.:flowerforyou:
  • jill5677
    jill5677 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I agree with viviakay. Losing 10 lbs in a month is a lot!! There may be weeks where you lose less than others, but try to look at the big picture and not the weekly goals. Maybe only weigh in once every 2 weeks?

Also, just be careful to not over-do it on your exercising. It's hard to maintain a regular workout schedule, ESPECIALLY if you are try to over extend yourself!

Don't worry - the program works, you just need to stay on course!
    :)

Also - make sure you weigh in at the same time of day on the same day each week if possible. I find that I fluxuate almost a pound or two depending on what time of day it is.
  • chiefiron
    chiefiron Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    yeah always good to shake things up a little. Jill is also right try to weigh your self at the same time of day. i have also found with most digital scales, my new high tech one included, can very by a pound or 2 if i weigh myself step off then right back on. i take two usually i will admitt i will always take the lower of the two :tongue:

stick with it you will begin to see the results you are seeking.

Tim
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    wwu,

sometimes the body needs a break. I only wish it would tell you when. If you see a plateau, it may be because there is a point where the body realizes it needs to change it's chemistry because you are different then you were. This can cause you to have to change up strategies, or sometimes just wait it out. If you know your doing the right things, then I would just stay the course, adding some exercise may help, but I wouldn't go too drastic as I don't know if that is the reason for your plateau. Just remember to update your goals so you are sure your eating the right amount and expecting the right things when you see it.

:)
  • ladyjh578
    ladyjh578 Posts: 207
    Options
    I am with you sister. I have been at the same weight now for a solid 3 weeks. Talk about discouraging!!!
    I know I have plenty more to lose so I am just sticking with it.

I def agree with kicking it up a notch. I have to do the same. i wish I could go to the gym 4x a week. I am lucky to get there 2-3 times.

It is freezing here in NY so when the weather finally breaks I am walking..jogging..and running as much as I can.

GOOD LUCK!!
  • bittersweet22
    bittersweet22 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh, I so know what you are going through!!!! I have almost lost 30 pounds, I have lost about 10 pounds a month. And now for the last week its like my body just stopped!! I slacked off on my exercise, so I am going to try to walk 2 miles a day, 6 days a week, and take a break on sunday. I tend to drink a lot of coffee, I don't use hardly any sugar, but I think I need more water too. hang in there!!!!!
  • Families_R_Forever
    Options
    Have you tryed tricking your body a little bit by upping your cals a little bit for a day or two and then back down to your normal cal intake. This has worked for me in the past. HH
  • eyescatchfire
    eyescatchfire Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Seriously, guys, thanks for reminding me that I am not alone. Although I wish we didn't all go through this. :ohwell:

I know I should be happy with what I've accomplished so far, but it feels like there's still so much more to lose! Of course, this only makes me want to bust through this and stay the course! Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm sure in a few weeks I'll feel much better (and maybe I'll have something to show for it, too!)

Thanks again!