Heart Rate Montior

Options
I don't belong to a gym...I belong to a studio-where I take 4 classes a week--zumba, tabata, kettlebells and bootcamp. I am looking into getting a heart rate montior so I can see how many calories I am buring while I take these classes since there is no machine to guesstimate for me...I've been looking into the Polar FT4...not too pricey and Ive been reading reviews and it sounds like a good piece of equipment. I figured I would ask here since this is a fitness site...and I'm new..not to working out but new to tracking...any thoughts/suggestions are welcome :)

Replies

• Rottiegirl06
    Rottiegirl06 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've heard that is a really good one. I have an inexpensive Sportline that I purchased from Walmart for like $30 and it does not require a chest monitor. It's worked really well for me so far. Good luck!
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT4 and I love it. I've had mine for almost 2 years now with no issues. It seems to be accurate and you really do need the chest strap for accuracy.
  • mscote12
    mscote12 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Any suggestions for a HRM that just goes on the wrist, where you don't NEED the chest strap...not really a fan of maybe having to wear a chest strap during my workouts...lol
  • Fit_Mama84
    Fit_Mama84 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • PatriceMG
    PatriceMG Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT7. It has a chest strap and when I started looking I didn't want one either. However, the chest strap makes numbers much more accurate and I don't even feel it when I wear it. And you can't see it either. The wristwatch-only gets cumbersome since you have to use the fingers on your other hand on the watch sensors to get readings. That gets in the way of your exercise. Good luck!
  • mayakiss
    mayakiss Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately chest straps are the best and most accurate readings. I have the Polar and the strap is not bad.
    A friend of mine got the wrist watch HRM and it was saying her pulse was 60 when she was running on the tredmill and 200 when she was doing nothing. Wrist watches arent accurate. The chest strap monitors your heart rate at all times and the best to get.
  • ninick
    ninick Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I use polar FT7, can get it for about the same price online as a FT4

If the HRM does not have a chest strp, it would not be accurate.
  • carneson3
    Options
    I just got my Polar Ft40 HRM in the mail and have used it twice. LOVE IT! Super easy to use and the chest strap is not in the slightest bit bothersome. I don't even know it's there while i'm working out. It's so nice to actually know how many calories you are burning instead of guessing all the time!
  • mscote12
    mscote12 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Alright alright....lol chest strap it is :tongue:
  • thilyer
    thilyer Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I have the polar ft4 with chest strap. Easy to use. I had a sportline no chest strap, and never could figure out how to use it. Go with Polar.
  • supersmiles11
    supersmiles11 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I have an FT4 and its fine and seems to do what I need it to do without being difficult to use. Spoke to my cardiologist about it and he likes the polar range for reliability
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    Any suggestions for a HRM that just goes on the wrist
    Yes, throw it in the trash can.
  • valluco75
    Options
    Ive had my polar ft7 for over a year with no complaints. I didnt get the ft4 cause i heard something wasnt good about it but cant remember what it was. i was also weary of the strap at first but after about 3 workouts was totally used to it. i dont even put mine in the washer, all i do is scrub it with my thumbs a little bit with liquid laundry detergent, about once a week.
  • knightreader
    knightreader Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    i love my ft4. looked in to getting a 7, but didn't need all it offered. strap isn't a big deal. just keep it tighter than you might expect so it doesn't slip down. good luck.